Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation New here, need your help

Hi Terpe, I am really confused with all the information I have been reading. First of all, I am applying for the unmarried partner of a British Citizen. We have been living akin to marriage for the past 13 years.

My dilemma is that he has just been employed with the same employer for 6 months. He is paid on an hourly rate, but his monthly salary varies from 1400 to 1600 per month. How do they compute if this is enough to meet the financial requirement of £18,600? Will they calculate the average of the 6 months? Or base it on the least amount of £1400?

Really would appreciate your help. Thanks

Hi Joey g, welcome aboard Filipino UK

I've put your posts under one single thread to make it easier to find and also to keep all the information together so it doesn't get lost in the other threads.

Thanks Terpe

to filipino/uk, Joey.

Please carefully study the guidelines Terpe has provided for a start ... then feel free to contact us again anytime you need to.

Thanks Arthur. I am glad to have found this site. I can't just rely on my own understanding, I need to be enlightened with all the information I've been reading.

As a first step I'd suggest you review this UKVI webpage link:-

Application for UK visa for family settlement: form VAF4A

You'll find that link contains the Family Settlement Application Form VAF4A, the Appendix 2 Financial Requirement VAF4A Form and also the Guide to Supporting documents.

The current UKVI visa fees are here

You'll see that the Settlment (Fiance) Visa application is £885
    This visa has a validity of 6 months to enable you get married.

Do note that once you are married in UK you'll need to apply for FLM(M) which is Further Leave to Remain and that will cost you £601 for application.

For additional background information please take a review of this forum thread All New Guide - How to apply for a Fiance Visa

In terms of supporting genuine relationship, as far as UKBA are concerned they will follow their guidelines to inform their decision.

Firstly, you and your partner have met in person.....
    Secondly, you need to very clearly demonstrate that your relationship with your partner is Genuine and Subsisting(click on that link to follow)
    Thirdly, you need to convince the ECO that you are only seeking entry to the UK to allow your marriage to take place.

Means you need to convince the ECO that there's a clear intention to actually marry. To be honest, this largely hinges on whether the relationship is believed to be genuine and subsisting.

It's actually impossible to prove an intention, and likewise no concrete evidence can be provided. Even receipts for a wedding dress and rings etc do not prove an intention. However, they can help to build a belief with the ECO

I think you've surely already made some tentative plans and had some discussions together for the future wedding. Any evidence at all, however small, to show that wedding arrangements are in hand will all help.
    How about any e-mails, texts or facebook messages that specifically mention wedding plans, especially in connection with:-
    - Where and when
    - Rings, dress, cake, catering, reception
    - Guests, invitations
    - Any quotations relating to wedding arrangements (just demonstrates that the couple have some intention)
    - Honeymoon

If UKVI believe the relationship is genuine then they usually believe a marriage will take place given reasonable evidence.

Have your sponsor write a good supporting letter for submission with your application.
    Briefly outline how and where the relationship started and how you met, how it developed, how long you have been together, how you have maintained contact, important events, meetings between yourselves, things you did together and plans you have made for living in the UK (specifically, why you are opting to live in the UK.
    Mention the times you met face-to-face. Include boarding passes,hotel receipts etc. Have some photos with family members and also as a couple showing some things you did together.
    Confirm your feelings for each other, why you want to marry, plans for the future and where you will live and how you will support yourselves.
    Keep it as simple as possible and above all be honest about everything.

Why not consider including a supporting letter from both sets of parents/siblings etc acknowledging the engagement and wedding and welcoming you both into the family.

These are just some ideas for you to build on. Hope it helps

Hi Terpe. As for the proving genuine relationship, we have not made any clear plans to marry because we have been concentrating on the documents we need for us to submit my application. But we will eventually - so we can legitimize the children. We have two by the way. We have been living together for almost 11 years so I guess proving the genuineness is quite easy. Also, he gets paid for leaves, I got confused, I'm sorry.

Don't forget that before making your application you'll need to prove your knowledge of the English language by passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening.

Here's a link to the UKVI approved list of Secure English Language Tests that have been assessed as meeting the Home Office’s requirements from 1 August 2014.

Secure English Language Tests

You'll also need a certificate showing you're all clear from TB.
    The certificate, which is valid for 6 months, must be submitted with your visa application.

Click this link for an overview of Tuberculosis tests for visa applicants

Click this link for the specific details of Tuberculosis testing in the Philippines

Terpe. As for the english language requirement, I've read that an assessment from the UK NARIC will suffice as evidence that I meet the requirement. Is this true? Because I have a Bachelors degree equivalent to a Bachelors degree in UK. I will be submitting the requirements toUK NARIC, so they can provide me with the assessment. Am I doing it right?

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    Quote Originally Posted by joey g View Post
    Terpe. as for the English language requirement, I've read that an assessment from the UK NARIC will suffice as evidence that I meet the requirement. Is this true? Because I have a Bachelor's degree equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in UK. I will be submitting the requirements to UK NARIC so they can provide me with the assessment. Am I doing it right?
    Hi Joey, how did you know that your Bachelor's Degree is equivalent to a degree in the UK? Where did you complete your degree, if you don't mind me asking? Usually, Bachelor's degree completed in the Philippines is equivalent to HND standards in the UK (unfortunately).

I also thought of having my Philippine degree converted to UK standards for the English Language Requirement before I applied for my visa but I opted to take IELTS instead. I was glad I did it that way because when I came to the UK and had my Career Path Report from UK NARIC (around £108), my degree was NOT equivalent to a degree in the UK. So, in my opinion, it is safer and cost-effective to take an accredited english test in case UK NARIC comes back saying, "NO your degree is not a degree in the UK".

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your application.
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Hi Jlags, thank you for your response. I went to UK NARIC's website. They have a list of the schools I think they'd consider. It also had a link where you can find out if you can use your degree. I graduated from Ateneo de Davao university. Then it had instructions of what to submit for them to make the assessment. I hope this is okay, though.

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    Hi Jlags, thank you for your response.I went to UK NARIC's website. They have a list of the schools I think they'd consider. It also had a link where you can find out if you can use your degree. I graduated from Ateneo de Davao university. Then it had instructions on what to submit for them to make the assessment. I hope this is okay though.
    Hi Joey g, you're welcome. It is up to you, if you are really sure that your degree is equivalent to a UK Degree, then go for it. . I had a degree in teaching English - passed the IELTS - but still had to take an accredited English Test. ... Remember though, that UKVI will only exempt you from taking the English Test IF UK NARIC says your degree is equivalent to a degree in the UK.
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Thanks Jlags. Yup, exemption from the English language requirement will be based on UK NARICS assessment. I am actually thinking of taking the test just to make sure. Thanks again

Honey, I don't know any detail about your application but when you say you submitted last week do you mean the online submission or do you mean you visited VFS and submitted the Appendix 2 and all supporting docs?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Honey, I don't know any detail about your application but when you say you submitted last week do you mean the online submission or do you mean you visited VFS and submitted the Appendix 2 and all supporting docs?
    Yes Sir Terpe, I submitted my supporting documents & forms to VFS Manila last week.

Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    Yes Sir Terpe, I submitted my supporting documents & forms to VFS Manila last week.
    And your partner is definitely under contract for salaried employment?

And your partner is definitely under contract for salaried employment ?

No, my husband is in permanent salaried employment. He earns more than £1,550 a month except for the.month of June coz he was here for 2 weeks and didn't get paid, but despite of the shortfall, he still met the income threshold w/c is £10,000 + in 6 months. Will it be okay? I'm so worried about my application now. Can you advise me on what to do with my application please? If I withdraw my application will I get a refund?

No, my husband is in permanent salaried employment. He earns more than £1,550 a month except for the month of June coz he was here for 2 weeks and didn't get paid, but in spite of the shortfall, he still met the income threshold w/c is £10,000 + in 6 months. Will it be okay? I'm so worried about my application now. Can you advise me on what to do with my application please? If I withdraw my application will I get a refund?
    Honey, sorry to say there are no refunds at this stage.

If he's in permanent salaried employment why didn't he get paid for those 2 weeks in June ?
    Did he take unpaid leave ?

Based solely on the information you've shared I can't give you false hope.
    However no harm in contacting UKVI Manila and try to defer until December.
    Just explain what happened and ask.

Try this e-mail:-
    manilvisaenquiries@fco.gov.uk

Try as many as you find.
    Here's a possible if still there:-
    Ms B Pastolero - Appeals and Correspondence Manager, Manila Visa Hub

Another possible chance if still around is:-
    Aileen.Cruz2@fco.gov.uk

Chin up Honey

Honey, sorry to say there are no refunds at this stage.

If he's in permanent salaried employment why didn't he get paid for those 2 weeks in June ?
    Did he take unpaid leave ?

Based solely on the information you've shared I can't give you false hope.
    However no harm in contacting UKVI Manila and try to defer until December.
    Just explain what happened and ask.

Try this e-mail:-
    manilvisaenquiries@fco.gov.uk

Try as many as you find.
    Here's a possible if still there:-
    Ms B Pastolero - Appeals and Correspondence Manager, Manila Visa Hub

Another possible chance if still around is:-
    Aileen.Cruz2@fco.gov.uk

Chin up Honey
    Thank you Sir Terpe. I'll talk to hubby later about this, just a bit scared coz he gets grumpy everytime I bring bad news about the visa. To be honest I dont know what should I say when I email UKVI. Is it possible to defer my application until December?

No, my husband is in permanent salaried employment. He earns more than £1,550 a month except for the month of June coz he was here for 2 weeks and didn't get paid, but in spite of the shortfall, he still met the income threshold w/c is £10,000 + in 6 months. Will it be okay? I'm so worried about my application now. Can you advise me on what to do with my application please? If I withdraw my application will I get a refund?

Hi Honey, sorry to interrupt but I think the confusion is why your husband didn't get paid in June. If, as you say, he is in full time salaried employment, then he would be legally entitled to a certain amount of holiday pay (usually a minimum of 3 weeks a year). The only reason I can think of is that he had already taken his holiday allocation and took these 2 weeks as additional unpaid holiday?

Yes Simon you are right, my husband had already taken his holiday .

Hi everyone!

Before I do apply, I really hope you guys can tell me if the following are already enough to hopefully get the approval for my unmarried partner visa application.

English Language Requirement - I have already passed my IELTS exam with total band score of 7.

Accommodation - My partner is moving to a new rental this Wednesday and told him to have the contract
    indicate that I will be allowed to join him in the rented unit. The space is adequate
    to accommodate both of us.

Financial Requirement : bank statement and letter indicating that the statement is authentic and is
    under my partners name
    : payslips - 6 months (if we file in February) covering August - January
    : certification from employer of his employment including all needed data

* Note: if I understood it right, we will have to satisfy the income requirement of at least £18,600. Since he is under a non-salaried job - as he is paid on an hourly basis - we will have to compute it and ensure the required amount is met.

Proof of relationship : been together for 13 years already, emails, photos, facebook posts and
    messages, money transfers, etc. ( our photos are from 2002 - 2013 )
    : sworn statement from my partners mother and sister in law stating that we
    have been together for 13 years ( even have family pictures with the in laws
    during special occasions)
    : sworn statement from my brother, our neighbour also stating that they have
    known us as a couple for the years indicated
    : letter from me and my partner separately stating the details of our relationship

Note: Although he is still legally married here in the Philippines, they have been separated for 13 years already. I have read that despite not having his marriage here in the Philippines annulled, applying as an unmarried partner, this will not be a problem as long as we can really prove the authenticity of our relationship (hope I'm right)

Of course I will have to undergo the TB Test before submitting my application.

With all that I've mentioned above, can anybody please tell me honestly if we stand a chance of having our application approved? We just want to do it right the first time.

I would really appreciate any feedback from you guys.

Thank you.

English Language Requirement - I have already passed my IELTS exam with total band score of 7.
    That sounds great. Just be aware that a 'total band' score doesn't count with UKVI
    They'd be looking for a score of 4 for each of the mandatory modules. Hope that's what you meant.

Accommodation - My partner is moving to a new rental this wed and told him to have the contract
    indicate that I will be allowed to join him in the rented unit. The space is adequate to accommodate both of us.
    Would be a good idea to also include written details of the accommodation if not already included in the rental agreement.

Financial Requirement : bank statement and letter indicating that the statement is authentic and is under my partners name
    : payslips - 6 months (if we file on feb) covering August - January
    : certification from employer of his employment including all needed data

* Note: if understood it right, we will have to satisfy the income requirement of at least 18,600. Since he is under a non-salaried job, since he is paid on an hourly basis, we will have to compute it and the required amount is met.
    Which category do you intend to apply under?

Do be aware that both payslips and bank statements need to cover the same financial period. Maybe I misunderstood but it seemed as though only one bank statement would be submitted.
    As Harry mentions, the £18600 income threshold will cover yourself only. It will not cover visa applications for children.

Proof of relationship : been together for 13 years already, emails, photos, facebook post and messages, money transfers, etc. ( our photos are from 2002 - 2013 )
    : sworn statement from my partners mother and sister in law stating that we have been together for 13 years ( even have family pictures with the in laws during special occassions)
    :sworn statement from my brother, our neighbor also stating that they have known us as a couple for the years indicated
    : letter from me and my partner separately stating the details of our relationship

Note: Although he is still legally married here in the Philippines, they have been separated for 13 years already. I have read that despite not having his marriage here in the Philippines annulled, applying as an unmarried partner, this will not be a problem as long as we can really prove the authenticity of our relationship (hope i'm right)
    The unmarried partner visa requires that you submit documentary evidence that you have been living together with your partner for at least two years in a relationship similar to marriage.

Hopefully this aspect is adequately covered?

Note: Although he is still legally married here in the Philippines, they have been separated for 13 years already. I have read that despite not having his marriage here in the Philippines annulled, applying as an unmarried partner, this will not be a problem as long as we can really prove the authenticity of our relationship (hope I'm right)
    Yes, you're right. Based solely on what you've shared you appear to be in a position to meet the requirements.

Out of curiosity, what is the reason why your partner has not filed for divorce here in England ?

Hi Terpe,

As for our letters, does it have to be an affidavit or sworn statements notatized or a handwritten letter from each of us will do? Or will a printed letter with our signatures affixed on them suffice?

Thank you

Hi Terpe,

As for our letters, does it have to be an affidavit or sworn statements notatized or a handwritten letter from each of us will do? Or will a printed letter with our signatures affixed on them suffice?

Thank you
    Hi joey g,

If you haven't already done so may I kindly suggest you review the UKVI internal document called Guidance: Unmarried and same-sex partners: SET05

Take special note of "SET5.13 What types of evidence might demonstrate living together and a relationship akin to marriage / civil partnership?" which gives examples of the sort of documentary evidence required.

Letters would come under "•Any other evidence that adequately demonstrates the couple’s long-term commitment to each other."
    As such it's not mandatory that they be notarised sworn statements, but do note that all documentary evidence should be original.

Hope that helps you

Hi Terpe.

For the documentary evidences, we individually have bills/ government docs indicating the same address covering almost 5 years. Also will submit sworn statements from both our families acknowledging the relationship, aside from our letters.

Thank you Terpe and the rest of the guys for all your help.

Hi Joey G, I have followed your posts but left comments to those people who are wiser on this subject than me. I note you have said you have 2 children. I assume that the kids will be staying in Phils? Seems you have covered everything. Just a word of advice, the more details that you can supply to cover your relationship - no matter how small they are - will help your application. I'm sure you realise it's expensive to have a refusal just for some small thing that you may have missed.

Hopefully, Terpe will come on here and give you the go ahead. He really is good when it comes to these kinds of Topic, and anything he suggests, I respectfully recommend you take note of.

Good luck with your application.

Hi Harry. Thank you, will put in every small detail so I wont miss anything. It is expensive and it will be devastating if we don't get approved just because of some minor detail.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information