Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dining Etiquette

So you've spent quite a bit of time cooking your signature dish at home for you and a guest.

How would you feel if.....

a) The guest ate every morsel
    b) Left a small amount of food on the plate
    c) Left half of the meal

They say it's courteous to leave a small amount on one's plate but do you see it that way?

For over 30 years I've been driven by Japanese dining etiquette. That is too eat every morsel.
    Usually it's very easy as each diner will decide how food they put on their plate/dish/bowl.

When it's the host adding food there's a way to indicate when it's enough.
    Also when you've eaten every morsel there's a way to avoid giving the impression you didn't get enough so avoid getting any more on your plate.

Not always easy to learn the words and gesture together with the right timing.

Besides I was always taught to clear all food on my plate from a young age.
    Post war culture I guess

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Wow Peter, that brings back memories, I was made never to leave the table until I had cleared my plate, also never allowed to speak at the table, very bad manners indeed!

Whatever is put on my plate I eat, unless its a lump of fat, then Ems eats that

I always eat the lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Wow Peter, that brings back memories, I was made never to leave the table until I had cleared my plate, also never allowed to speak at the table, very bad manners indeed!
    We could speak so long as we didn't have our mouths full. Got told off for having our elbows on the table, though.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I always try to finish everything, at least the ones I've put on my plate...well unless I'm already struggling and the host said it's okay to leave it if I'm already full..
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    We could speak so long as we didn't have our mouths full. Got told off for having our elbows on the table, though.
    Elbows, same here Jamie!

I won't have a conversation while I'm eating lol
    The food is more important than the conversation.

All joints on the table will be carved

I too remember table rules, no elbows on the table, no talking at the table, do not leave the table when you have finished eating until everybody else has finished, then had to say, thank you and please may I leave the table.

The no talking while eating has kind of stuck with me, I'm quiet when i eat, and too much chatting by others eating with me, disturbs me.

I had a few clips round the ear in my younger days joking with my brother or tormenting my sister at the dinner table. Alas, all manners seem to have disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by malolos View Post
    Alas, all manners seem to have disappeared.
    Sadly, Ron ... you're absolutely right!

Why wouldn't anyone talk at the dinner table? It would feel like everyone doesn't have good relationships with each other. A lot of the best conversations I had with my family (and friends) back home is always at the dinner table, since I can remember. Of course we never talked when our mouth is full as we won't be able to understand what others are saying, but we were never quiet. We always had fun eating all together, especially every weekend when we are all complete. We talk what happened during the week and whatever we want to talk about. And here in the UK, I don't think Keith and his family have been quiet while eating (besides, Keith never stops talking ). We always have conversations while eating. If ever no one's talking while having their meals, I'd rather eat alone in front of the TV. In that case, I won't be boring myself then.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I'm a greedy pig, I guess. I want to enjoy the food and would rather chat afterwards. Ok, if it's a big event with a meal out somewhere it's different, but I think it's annoying when people are waving food about on their fork yakking when we can talk lots before and after the meal.

Give me my food now!

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    I'm a greedy pig, I guess. I want to enjoy the food and would rather chat afterwards.

Ok, if it's a big event with a meal out somewhere it's different, but I think it's annoying when people are waving food about on their fork yakking when we can talk lots before and after the meal.

Give me my food now!
    Why would you/someone wave your/their fork with food in front of anyone? I never did that (or anyone I had meals with) even when everyone's chatting while eating. I find it if no one's having conversations while having their meals, then no one likes to be around them. Hence, I never liked going out for meals with people I never liked.

I remember there was an advert in the Philippines in the past that said one of the best times to talk to kids was when they are in the dinner table having meals.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Why would you/someone wave your/their fork with food in front of anyone
    Wow, you are kidding me - you see it all the time in restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Wow you are kidding me-you see it all the time in restaurants
    Why are you snooping at the other tables? I won't be able to notice that unless I'm bored and not talking to who I'm with while dining out, to look for something that will amuse me. And with Keith, I don't have any time to be bored as he talks a lot.
    -=rayna.keith=-

No, I think you misunderstand the term. It's where people chat away - some clearly wanting to get on and eat. While they are doing this, they have a piece of food on their fork and chatter away with the fork in the air.

You see it a lot in restaurants -I love my food, I want to look at it, gaze lovingly into my curry and enjoy every mouthful while it's still hot.

Lots of time to talk in-between courses

I understand what you said, and as I've said, no one I've been with who chatters a lot while we're having meals has done that, nor me of course. About other people doing that, I couldn't care less. It's the way they are and as long as they're having a good time while having a meal then fine with me. It's not as bad as someone burping so loud while in front of the table and not saying excuse, or spitting saliva while talking.

-=rayna.keith=-

We were taught to eat our food whilst it's hot Rayna and that could be one of the reasons we were told not to talk, I must admit I don't like cold food that's meant to be hot, always ate our food washed and dried pots and cleared table everything put away in ten minutes, nice!

What I really hate is when you're at a restaurant eating and someone from another table is gawping at you.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    All joints on the table will be carved
    Never heard that one before.

We were taught to eat our food whilst it's hot Rayna and that could be one of the reasons we were told not to talk, I must admit I don't like cold food that's meant to be hot, always ate our food washed and dried pots and cleared table everything put away in ten minutes, nice!
    Keith said if he'll be eating with no one talking and can only hear the people at the table chewing their food, he'd rather eat with the camels!
    -=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Keith said if he'll be eating with no one talking and can only hear the people at the table chewing their food, he'd rather eat with the camels!
    Is he relaying all this from the greenhouse?

Is he relaying all this from the greenhouse?
    -=rayna.keith=-

British prime minister William Gladstone advised us that food should be chewed 32 times (once for each tooth)

He lived to the ripe old age of 88 so maybe he knew a thing or two.

It would certainly help keep the noise down when going out for dinner at your favourite restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    British prime minister William Gladstone advised us that food should be chewed 32 times (once for each tooth)

He lived to the ripe old age of 88 so maybe he knew a thing or two.

It would certainly help keep the noise down when going out for dinner at your favourite restaurant
    What if you don't have that much teeth? Worse, no teeth?! You might end up eating one meal for the whole day!
    -=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    What if you don't have that much teeth? Worse, no teeth?! You might end up eating one meal for the whole day!
    Get someone to chew it for you

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Get someone to chew it for you

-=rayna.keith=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information