Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Insect bites

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar

Insect bites

Insect bites

Hi, so I arrived here in England last 2nd of July. We always go to the pub next door but whenever we go there, I always get insect bites I am not sure what kind of insects bite me, as my husband says they don't have mosquitoes there but I also doubt it because the bite gives me small lumps (like lumps when you have skin test with medicines) and it will be really really really really itchy. I've got bites last July and until now it's still really itchy and then it become scar and still itchy. Even if I out sudo cream or soap it with safe guard and hot water still itchy. Bad news is I can't also find for isopropyl alcohol in tesco. :(

Can you suggest anything that will make it not itchy anymore? And any cream that will prevent it to be a scar?

it will be a flea bite by the look of it.

try iodine

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    it will be a flea bite by the look of it.
    Time to find another boozer

Banned
    It could be worse look at this pair of weirdos plagued by monster spiders

Family living in fear after invasion of aggressive monster spiders that attack with venomous bite

• Liam Forrester, 24, and Kirsty Garland, 27, may be forced from their home
    • Their Bristol house has been plagued by giant, venomous hobo spiders
    • Mr Forrester has been bitten, and bite could take three months to heal
    • Couple are living in fear that their three young children may be next
    • Bites cause necrosis of the skin, which can need surgical treatment
    • Victims have also reported nausea, vision problems and memory loss
    • The spiders rear up and attack humans rather than running away
    • Experts warn giant spiders could invade homes all over the country

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3DrOuPI5M

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Time to find another boozer
    sounds like it lol or check your bedding at home for bed bugs

i agree with tiger, it sounds like flea bites, are their cats living at the pub, and with dedworth, find another pub,

Looks like it's something from their carpet! I've had bites from our apartment before and my husband started to get itchy as well so we got rid off our couch and all carpets and it was fine now. But going to that pub looks like it's a new prob

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Keith and I always get bites during July-August every year. We tried everything to prevent it but nothing happened, we still get bites. It eventually stops though after the summer period.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Just don't go to the pub and use the money to refurnish instead, then you've got something to show for your money. Never been bitten by anything in UK apart from one wasp sting when I was a small child. Btw, the spider in the jar that someone has posted looks perfectly normal to me also you must never kill one as they are harmless!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Just don't go to the pub and use the money to refurnish instead, then you've got something to show for your money. Never been bitten by anything in UK apart from one wasp sting when I was a small child. Btw, the spider in the jar that someone has posted looks perfectly normal to me also you must never kill one as they are harmless!
    Quite plenty of spiders around this year. Whenever there are in the house, we just catch it and put it on the trees in the garden. They don't do any harm so we let them live outside the house. Haha
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Quite plenty of spiders around this year. Whenever there are in the house, we just catch it and put it on the trees in the garden. They don't do any harm so we let them live outside the house. Haha
    Thank you Rayna!

I cant find isopropyl alcohol as well. Got tiger balm from chinese supermarket for bites

Vicks Vaporub is meant to be good for keeping mozzies away if you're off to a country like the Phils .

Yeah it looks like a flea bite!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea

Try Tea tree oil from Holland and Barrett (I know it stinks but quite a good remedy for minor bites)
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

My cat brought fleas home one day. I had to go to the local pet store and buy some flea smoke bombs, haven't got bitten once since.

Although I do medicate my cat every 6 weeks

And believe me even if it turned like a dry scar it is still itchy like hell. Whenever I had mosquito bites in PH the itchiness doesn't take too long to vanish. After how many hours or a day, it will be gone but these ones stay in months lol.

Good thing we have Vicks, thanks for the suggestion and I bought white flower in PH. Once I have my salary from work I would go straight ahead to manchester China town to go shopping!!! Hahaha

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    Insect bites

Hi, so I arrived here in England last 2nd of July. We always go to the pub next door but whenever we go there, I always get insect bites I am not sure what kind of insects bite me, as my husband says they don't have mosquitoes there but I also doubt it because the bite gives me small lumps (like lumps when you have skin test with medicines) and it will be really really really really itchy. I've got bites last July and until now it's still really itchy and then it become scar and still itchy. Even if I out sudo cream or soap it with safe guard and hot water still itchy. Bad news is I can't also find for isopropyl alcohol in tesco. :(

Can you suggest anything that will make it not itchy anymore? And any cream that will prevent it to be a scar?

Looks like your getting our little friends here called midge flies...

Like a mosiquito Jen they bite like hell and only through the summer months.

Try piriton tabs to lessen reaction or alternative cream form antihistamine should sort it, but don't scratch them or it makes the itch worse good luck....

Trusted Member
    If bitten when sitting outside...Mosquitos or Gnats. (Yes, we do have Mossies...just that they don't carry Malaria, Dengue,etc).

If inside...FLEAS. Normally the cat flea that bites humans.

Bed bugs tend to leave larger red marks, but could be.

Ticks are also common in summer, and can be picked up from animals or just walking through vegetation.

If very itchy and between fingers or other sweaty places...could be Scabies, which you'd need to go to a Doctor about, and he'd send you to the Skin Clinic, which might be a good idea anyway if these 'bite' marks aren't
    going away.

Changing carpets, furniture, bedding etc won't get rid of fleas, bedbugs, lice, because they hide and lay their eggs in crevices in the floor, door and window frames. The affected rooms need to be fumigated.

You should never scratch the bite itself. The itchy bit is around the actual bite, that is the part than should be scratched. Boots sell anti-itch cream.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Trusted Member
    I would not attempt to give a specific diagnosis based on the information and one photo you have posted.

Most bites / stings in this country don’t need a visit to the doctor – helpful advice may often be given, if needed, by a pharmacist.

For those with more serious symptoms, it’s essential, in my opinion, to speak to the patient, take a full clinical history, and make a careful examination.

It is possible to give general advice and links which may be helpful.

• Insect bites and stings are common – and appear to be getting commoner – in the UK, usually only causing mild irritation.

• While bites and stings – not only from insects but also snakes, fish and jellyfish – may be more serious in the Philippines, and so far dengue and malaria only occur in the UK when " imported " from the tropics, there’s an increasing chance of disease-carrying mosquitoes surviving in the UK within the next decade or so.

• A small proportion of bites and stings in the UK MAY be serious.

1. They may cause a " large localised reaction ", with / without infection ( made worse by scratching ).

2. They may also cause a " systemic reaction " ( due to allergy – usually AFTER repeated bites or stings, due to the body over-reacting ).

• Have a look at these links which give information and advice which should be helpful :-

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/inse...stings-leaflet
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-i...roduction.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/bites-and...ite-sting.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-i.../Symptoms.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-i...Treatment.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-i...revention.aspx

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/stings.htm

got this

I try and get my own back and eat as many insects as possible
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    got this

Found that quite effective at clearing up the redness and itchiness when I went to Philippines and those pesky mosquitoes took a liking to me

Thread Information