Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Achtung Spitfeuer!

Was out on the bike yesterday evening when a Spitfire roared over on approach to our local airfield.

The RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight have been using it as a bit of a staging post for the single engine planes during the display season. I went along there at 6.15pm today when it took off to do flypasts at Hullavington, Brize & Northolt . The sound of the Merlin engine as it went overhead was awesome. I was intending to go back for it's return at 7.30 but I got waylaid at home. Here's a couple of very poor quality pics from my phone :-

a proper pic from the RAF :-

It is number MK356 built in Castle Bromwich 1944. The plane is currently painted in D Day Invasion Stripes and it flew 60 sorties 14 April - 14 June 1944 before doing a wheels up landing. http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircra...tfiremk356.cfm

It is fantastic that this 70 year old war bird is still flying as a living memorial to those airmen who gave their lives

Nice!!

Amazing spit
    They used to build them here at South Marston Which was then the Vickers Armstrong plant, It is now all gone and in its place is a massive Honda plant where they use some of the original Spitfire test runways as a test track for thieir cars as they come of the assembly lines. Talk about Irony.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

we was sitting down to dinner last last when we heard a tremendous roar coming over the house, deafening. I rushed outside as quick as I could but could not see a thing.
    Apparently it was the red arrows display team roaring across East London on its way to the Invictus games. Would love to have seen them but to fast for me.

Thread Information