Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Fight over legroom diverts a second US flight

A US flight bound for Europe has been diverted after a mid-air fight broke out between passengers over legroom - the second such incident in a week.

The American Airlines flight from Miami to Paris was forced to land in Boston on Wednesday, after a male passenger argued with a woman who reclined her seat in front of him.

Air marshalls who were travelling on the plane intervened to stop the fight.

Edmund Alexandre, a 61-year-old from Paris, was arrested in Boston.

He has been charged with interfering with the crew on the flight.

Knee defender
    Mr Alexandre was reported to have become upset when the female passenger tried to recline her seat, according to a statement released by prosecutors.

When a member of the flight crew tried to calm Mr Alexandre down, he is said to have become more angry and grabbed the man's arm.

The fight follows a similar incident on Sunday, which forced a United Airlines flight from Newark to Denver to divert to Chicago.

A heated argument broke out between a male and female passenger when the man attempted to use a Knee-Defender - a device which prevents the person travelling in front from reclining the seat.

The woman sitting in front of him reacted by standing up, turning around and throwing a cup of water at him.

Police investigated the incident but said it was a customer service issue.

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/28990232

This is big news in the US. When you buy a ticket, it includes reclining. If someone tried to stop me, they would be getting off at 30,000ft
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Cathay Pacific introduced their non-reclining shell seat for long haul flights a couple of years back.
    Probably the most uncomfortable seat I'd ever experienced.
    One of the main reasons I switched to Singapore Airlines.

The reclining seats on planes aren't as bad as some of the ones on coaches. When I was on the way back from Tagaytay, the guy in front had reclined his seat and was practically lying in my lap. After a while I told him to 'un' recline it. Fair play to him, he did what he was told.

Another one that winds me up I don't mind people who recline their seat, but have the courtesy to ask me first or at least check that I've finished my meal or not using the seat back tray for something else
    One of the main reasons I get on a plane and turn left these days

Am I the only one who doesn't care if someone reclines their seat? Perhaps I'm lucky that nobody's been daft enough to do it suddenly whilst they are serving meals, but all it means is I have to spend a second adjusting the tv screen to tilt in the back - then it's sorted.

I detest flying, and I'm more bothered about turbulence (which I hate after a certain flight hit by sudden turbulence where fellow passengers reacted like a scene from a movie, kind of put me off, and yes I know it's harmless unless you're stood up, but it isn't nice is it). If it isn't that, it's sheer boredom.

More than people reclining, I'd be more bothered about some salad dodger sitting next to me and letting their flab invade my space, or being sat next to someone with personal hygiene problems

Dare I mention children on flights

I'll not go deep into grumpy old git mode since it'll just spoil my day......especially with an upcoming flight ahead.

I just get on and watch everything. I can and laugh out loud if its funny, the miles go by very very quickly then

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

I'll not go deep into grumpy old git mode since it'll just spoil my day......especially with an upcoming flight ahead.
    Or this!

Trusted Member
    On buses in the Phils I always sit right at the back...much more legroom for us 6 footers.

Any seating problems on the plane, I'd probably just grab a few cushions, retire to the bog and stay in there for a few hours.

I try and get a seat at the back on most public transport if I can. Less people around me decreases the chances of someone getting slapped.

Trusted Member
    I agree....'back to the wall' always safer (and next to the emergency exit).

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    On buses in the Phils I always sit right at the back...much more legroom for us 6 footers.

Any seating problems on the plane, I'd probably just grab a few cushions, retire to the bog and stay in there for a few hours.
    So you are the one that causes the queues then

I remember someone reclining their seat in front of me and I had a hot drink and various snacks on my tray - I had to quickly grab the drink.

It should be always the case that they ask if your tray is at least clear - just courtesy.

Typical Yanks tho' Diverting every flight it happens on - no need to do that, so over the top.

I agree....'back to the wall' always safer (and next to the emergency exit).

A picture for every occasion eh Graham?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    I remember someone reclining their seat in front of me and I had a hot drink and various snacks on my tray - I had to quickly grab the drink.

It should be always the case that they ask if your tray is at least clear - just courtesy.

Typical Yanks tho' Diverting every flight it happens on -no need to do that, so over the top.
    This was my problem when we flew via Qatar Airways going to and from Manila last year. I had to ask a couple of times the person in front of me to not recline the seat because I'm still eating! I believe the stewardess should be reminding every passenger to not recline their seats before serving food (same when the plane is about to take off or land). But like what Keith posted in his thread on his review with Qatar Airlines, the crew was crap! Singapore Airlines for me have the best and very helpful crew by miles!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    I am 195cm tall (6ft 4 in old money). I travel economy short and long haul a lot and some airline seats are worse than others for this. The biggest problem for me is that if there is a screen on the seatback I cannot see it once the person in front reclines.

Personally I only recline a small amount, and then only at 'sleep time', I find reclining too much means I need to put my knees somewhere and they won't just slide under the base of the seat in front. I get an aisle seat every time unless its an exit row to help - I get up and stretch a lot.

If it came to it why can't the crew suggest the recliner and the protester swap seats? (assuming the next seat in front is not so reclined).

Yes, but you might get the recliner's partner drooling all over you while cuddling up to you

I don't mind people reclining on my lap, sleeping on my shoulder, stinking of BO, but if they support ManU ... then I'll change seats

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

Don't you know, it's traditional to have crying babies on long haul night flights

Fortunately on long haul, you don't often get kids running up and down screaming. Now the 2.5 hour jobbie to Benidorm........that's a different matter

My first trip to phills the Singapore leg.2 babies twins virtually were wide awake crying all the way there! I blagged about 5 strong Singapore slings to stop me dipping their dummies in tabasco!

Trusted Member
    I can only think of one worse scenario Les...

having to go to Blackpool instead of Bridlington.

Being a six~footer myself ... I must admit I'd be a bit also, if a fellow passenger sitting directly in front of me were to recline his or her seat to the extent that it rammed hard against my knees on a long haul flight.

I can only think of one worse scenario Les...

having to go to Blackpool instead of Bridlington.

Dresden looked better than Blackpool does now

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post

Now the 2.5 hour jobbie to Benidorm........ that's a different matter
    Two-hour 'jobbie' on a plane to Benidorm? ... different, ... you must've been really constipated!

Respected Member
    I had a confrontation with a 6' 5'ish guy on my last trip to Manila, stewards and pilot involved. he insisted that I turn my reading light off, I tried to explain that I would as soon as I could, I was trying to see the TV control in the dark. he got the hump, sat down quickly and elbowed me in the chest, didn't have time to think, grabbed him on the shoulder and stuck the tv remote in his neck, he bottled it. telling stewards/pilot that I was crazy etc. Luckily he was sitting 'cos if he was standing up I would never have reached his neck had to spend the next 7 hours sitting next to each other... awkward. Thought the stewards would move one of us but didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Two-hour 'jobbie' on a plane to Benidorm? ... different, ... you must've been really constipated!
    ....................................................... or ... ... possibly the other extreme if the onboard snacks happened to be out of date!

I spent about an hour on a plane once arguing over a seat. I was already in it, and so it was mine, and I was not moving for all the money in the world. He said I was delaying the flight, and he'd call the police. It was when he mentioned the word pilot that I realised it was his seat......

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I spent about an hour on a plane once arguing over a seat. I was already in it, and so it was mine, and I was not moving for all the money in the world. He said I was delaying the flight, and he'd call the police. It was when he mentioned the word pilot that I realised it was his seat......

That one tickled me.
    And caught me out too....just wasn't expecting a punch line

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post

-=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information