Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    On your first point, I couldn't disagree more. Driving properly, using lane discipline and keeping a safe distance will keep your brain alert as opposed to sitting in the middle lane with not much to concentrate on.

Mainly drive on the M4, M25 and M40 except when I'm going up tut north

There's no way you can draw a comparison between a German autobahn and a British motorway.

I drive a 5ltr supercharged V8, with over 500BHP, you have a guess at what speed I travel at
    When I'm in middle lane there is nothing that near me, my concentration is taking over slower people than me in middle lane. I do keep a safe distance but will always disagree with you about going in and out of inside lane time after time - for one thing, some people don't even indicate they are pulling out, so I'm indicating - the car behind me soes not notice it and he pulls out same time as me
    Meanwhile, if I'm in centre lane driving at a steady speed, keeping safe distance I'm a hindrance to no-one

We're going to have to agree to differ on this one Les

You agree that you're breaking the law, but think that the law is wrong and I'll agree that you're a MLM

Respected Member
    I enjoy driving, and while there are plenty of bad drivers I treat spotting them and avoiding them as a kind of sport to keep my interest on long journeys. Once you drive somewhere like the Philippines or the Middle East you realise our drivers are generally very good. I have to re-condition myself when I get back to stop my just pulling out in front of traffic into tiny gaps etc (not to inconvenience, I accelerate and don't cause them to change course).

Doing 80-85mph in the middle lane is much better than going slow and being a mobile chicane, but to me changing into lane 1, then back to lane 2/3 on a long journey keeps me awake and alert to the traffic around me. I also find cruising along at 70mph (which I do when I'm not late - but in lane 1 where appropriate) makes me less alert to my surroundings.

The trick these days is to relax and drive to the conditions of the traffic - my office commute is 100 miles each way (luckily I get paid mileage and only go there once a week or so - I'm normally driving to an airport at 5am or working from home). On my office commute if I'm not late I will put the cruise control on and do 70ish all the way (M1/A43/M40), if I'm late I'll do 90ish. If it is a late evening return with minimal traffic I sometimes put the cruise control on at a much higher speed.

I don't have a problem driving in London, but then I'm never late for anything when I do so (I take the train in for work).

Btw, I learned to drive in Scunthorpe - hated doing the hill starts!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    We're going to have to agree to differ on this one Les

You agree that you're breaking the law, but think that the law is wrong and I'll agree that you're a MLM
    Ok. We will disagree of course on this one and the truth is I accept I am wrong, but also I have many occasions where customers .... up and say please get me to wherever as fast as you can or I will miss my plane, train etc. I could not doddle about - they would not appreciate it. I have a 7 year old nearly 200,000 taxi that still looks like new

The law is definitely wrong on this IMO

Les. As your job relies on you having a license, I would have thought you would be more responsible when driving. I wouldn't put my career at risk if it was me.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    You'll remember CLS Transport then!
    Yes I do, very much so. I now work for the company that bought them out - still have some machinery with CLS on the side.

How do you know them Michael?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Been in the transport industry all my life. Ask some of the older drivers if they remember Clugston Transport, John Dee of Ferryhill, Wyatts of Diss (Fridged Freight), Claben Of Aberdeen, Hayden Coulthard (David Coulthard's Dad), Murfitt Transport Littleport (Norfolk Line), I could go on forever. It was a great life when I was driving and I really enjoyed it. Don't think it's the same these days!

Trusted Member
    I can just drive like a hooligan in my front room.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Les. As your job relies on you having a license, I would have thought you would be more responsible when driving. I wouldn't put my career at risk if it was me.
    I only have 3 speeding points. I don't go like a bat out of hell all the time - but when I need to put my foot down, as long as it's safe, I do so. Most taxi drivers are the same but some don't indicate, leave safe gaps or anticipate.

I had a police - don't know what the term is - good driving praise once too for skillfully avoiding a pedestrian who stepped out onto the road at the last second.

Like I said, if you were a Taxi driver with a job to do, you would not last 5 mins tootling along in the inside lane down to London

Anyway, I'm Baddass

I remember all of those myself, my father worked for Clugstons for 12 years, then I went to them at the age of 22, on tippers flats and powder tankers. Was with them for 22 years, left 4 years ago to go shunting on nightshift and I will probably be loading an old Norfolkline trailer tonight. I'm sure I've loaded dolomite out of Ferryhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Been in the transport industry all my life. Ask some of the older drivers if they remember Clugston Transport, John Dee of Ferryhill, Wyatts of Diss (Fridged Freight), Claben Of Aberdeen, Hayden Coulthard (David Coulthard's Dad), Murfitt Transport Littleport (Norfolk Line), I could go on forever. It was a great life when I was driving and I really enjoyed it. Don't think it's the same these days!

I remember all of those myself, my father worked for clugstons for 12 year, then i went to them at the age of 22, on tippers flats and powder tankers, was with them for 22 years, left 4 years ago to go shunting on nightshift and i will probably be loading an old norfolkline trailer tonight. Im sure ive loaded dolomite out of ferryhill.
    That took some following for someone not in the trade

A typical forum driver

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    That took some following for someone not in the trade
    My apology for that, Les.

The middle lane drivers aren't half as bad as those who chug along at 40mph on a 60mph single carriageway. At least on the motorway you can overtake in an instant.

Trusted Member
    Well of course up until the (late?) 70s it was a 70mph general national limit, no 56mph limiters on trucks, HALF the number of vehicles on the roads, and probably 75% less SLOW DITHERING WOMEN DRIVERS, who are it appears, incapable of overtaking, even where there is the occasional uncluttered length of road !

I could drive from York to London in less time in my old MK3 Cortina back in the 70s than is usually possible in today's super duper speedy easy-drive cars.

I do Harrogate to Cockfoster's (Barnet) in 3 hours each way - only on a good day - about 400 miles' round trip

Trusted Member
    Rather you than me Les...these days.

I used to enjoy driving once upon a time.

I still do, just the traffic I hate

Used to do Scotch Corner to Penrith in the 70s fully laden with an F86 in 55mins!

Trusted Member
    I remember doing 90 on the M1 in a Bedford TK Michael...pre-limiter/tacho days.

Never did drive an F86, in fact this is the only type of Volvo truck I've driven. Not so good on the motorways....but will go anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I remember doing 90 on the M1 in a Bedford TK Michael...pre-limiter/tacho days.

Never did drive an F86, in fact this is the only type of Volvo truck I've driven. Not so good on the motorways....but will go anywhere else.

Good times Graham, the days when drivers used to help one another!

Trusted Member
    Yep...and race each other ! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information