Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes, I watched it and thought it was biased

I was just reading an article on the changes that might take place after the vote if it is a No.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-28897427

Banned
    If there is a 'NO' vote regardless if any more powers are given to the Scottish parliament there needs to be a review of the flows of English taxpayers money North of the Border that prop up all the massive Scottish public spending free university places, prescriptions, elderly care etc

Scotland might be better on its own. The only reason the English want it to stay, is the oil.

Oh, and there wouldn't be anywhere to put those Trident missiles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Scotland might be better on its own. The only reason the English want it to stay is the oil.

1) Oil's been in decline for a long while as I told you recently :-

By the way North Sea oil has been in decline for years 1999 it peaked at 398 million barrels and declined to 220 million barrels in 2007, what were Labour doing in that time to encourage investment and exploration ?

2) With a bit of investment on infrastructure for subs carrying our important nuclear deterrent could be relocated to Plymouth

Scotland might be better on its own. The only reason the English want it to stay is the oil.

I have a good few friends up there and one or two like the old idea of independence - nothing like a bit of nationalism!

They know they will be worse off.

The Norwegians squirrelled their money away for a rainy day. Can't see a 10 pints a day Glaswegian investing in his future.

So you are left with a tiny population of just over 5 million carrying all the debts and risk - .

What happens to the Black Watch etc? If Scotland is going to have its own army etc., they will have to rely on the UK to help them out if they are involved in any conflict. It would be like Dad's Army.

Like I said, they are not daft and they will consider the money side more that most people would.

It really riled me to hear that nasty piece "I'm in it to be a hero" Salmond keep banging on about weapons of mass destruction which are part of the modern world.

It would be great if no one had them but they are a big deterrent for war.

It's like the Russian situation - they want to take over Ukraine - we can sanction all we want but they have a huge army and nuclear weapons, so we're never going to take them on - no matter what.

I want the Scots to stay, but if they go - and I will happily have a bet they won't (any takers?) - then bugger them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    1) Oil's been in decline for a long while as I told you recently :-

By the way North Sea oil has been in decline for years 1999 it peaked at 398 million barrels and declined to 220 million barrels in 2007, what were Labour doing in that time to encourage investment and exploration ?

2) With a bit of investment on infrastructure for subs carrying our important nuclear deterrent could be relocated to Plymouth
    What country will Cameron get to invest in the move to Plymouth then Ded? In my opinion, you believe the scaremongerers - which is typical. Scotland can go it alone they have enough oil and they will invest the money in jobs unlike the Tories. . I get the impression that the Scots have had enough of being dictated to by English Governments.

What country will Cameron get to invest in the move to Plymouth then Ded? In my opinion, you believe the scaremongerers - which is typical. Scotland can go it alone, they have enough oil and they will invest the money in jobs - unlike the Tories. . I get the impression that the Scots have had enough of being dictated to by English Governments.

Andy's off to Scotland if they win independence

No Simon, saving for my retirement in the Phils.

I think less Scots would be considering independence if the way of life up here was considered more when the government are making their decisions. For example all immigration law at the moment is based on the trends around London and the South of England. Having the oil industry and such a huge marine industry up here makes our immigration completely different. The rules at the moment have in the past prevented me from bringing in Filipino seafarers to join a UK flagged vessel. They are complaining that the UK flag and UK ports are dying but they are the ones pushing us away if we cannot bring in our seamen.

Also if anybody has a problem here in Scotland and we go to an MSP for assistance they cannot help because parliament wont accept questions from anything other then MP's, its ridiculous!

Trusted Member
    Here's me imagining that was you up there on the platform, Alan!

Seriously ... it's good to read you're travelling up to Glasgow to join forces with your lookalike at the memorial service for your erstwhile university alumni and noted neurosurgeon-turned politician ... as I thought you might.
    Thank you Arthur .

I may be Alistair Darling’s lookalike, but I would not wish to swap places, or stand in at events for him, and told him so ! The Memorial Service for Sam Galbraith was no doubt the least stressful evening in recent times for Mr Darling ! At least through his friendship and close association with Sam over the years he is well informed on health issues.

One of us at Glasgow University :-

With little over 2 weeks to go, the outcome of the Referendum is hard to predict. Like other expat Scots I can’t vote, but took the chance during last week’s Scottish visit to speak to a wide spectrum of people. I would still vote for retaining the Union, but the issues are complex. I don’t intend to enter into political arguments on this Forum .

Sam ( past student and junior doctor with me ; then neurosurgeon ; then politician and Scottish Health Minister ) was devoted to caring for others through the NHS, and was in favour of devolved administration including health – but not independence.

Scotland appears to have the most health care workers ; most hospital beds ; and highest spending per head of population ; but the worst health, compared to England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The NHS changed little in organization and policy from 1948 to the early 1980s, with only one major reorganisation. Since then there have been many reorganisations ( under Labour and Conservative governments ), including devolution in the late 1990s. There has been less consultation with doctors, nurses, and other health care workers as time went on. England’s " Health and Social Care Act of 2012 " includes encouraging greater involvement by the private sector. Inevitably this sector has profit margin as a priority. It " cherry picks " lucrative work – knowing the NHS is available if / when things go wrong, and in any case for acutely ill patients. The worry is that more services will be contracted to the market place.

The 2012 Act abolished the duty on the Secretary of State for Health to " secure and provide comprehensive healthcare " . This paves the way for private funding ! At worst people might have two choices :- go without healthcare or pay privately ( out of pocket / through insurance ). Reminiscent of the Philippines ?

Scottish health unions claim to remain neutral in the Referendum. The BMA thinks the Scottish model of the NHS is the closest to their own policy – publicly provided and publicly delivered. Already the proportion of the NHS budget spent on private providers is at least 6% of the total in England – arguably only 1% in Scotland. Ideally devolution will protect the Scottish NHS from creeping privatisation south of the border – without full independence .

Sam got his lung transplant in Newcastle – the best possible centre – and survived 25 years without the additional worry of expense.

The NHS is not without fault, but it’s a national treasure, the envy of many countries. It should ALWAYS be there for every UK citizen who needs it, funded from taxation, and free at the point of use - whether GP surgery, local hospital, or centre of excellence anywhere in the UK. It should stay that way regardless of the Referendum outcome, and the best chance of it so doing would be for retention of the Union .

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Excellent Alan, some very interesting reading. Also a very nice photo!

Just wanted to say thanks Doc Alan for the rep, not entirely sure what it means but guessing it is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks Doc Alan for the rep, not entirely sure what it means but guessing it is a good thing
    It means he thinks you contributed well to the Forum and giving rep is a reward for posting good stuff.

Thanks for explaining Les

Anything that Joe,Andy or Keith post, you have to give negative rep for as a newcomer - it's traditional

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Anything that Joe, Andy or Keith post, you have to give negative rep for as a newcomer - it's traditional

Any neg rep to the owners (Keith) and Mods will be banned!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Haha, sorry to disappoint but I am not so naďve! You shall have to wage your own war on them

Besides I haven't figured out how to give anything to anyone on here yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Haha, sorry to disappoint but I am not so naďve! You shall have to wage your own war on them

Besides I haven't figured out how to give anything to anyone on here yet!
    Gutted! Never have any fun these days

The little star at the bottom of the page is for giving rep.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Andy's off to Scotland if they win independence
    Thank God!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Thank God!
    I will do the Taxi for free

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    I will do the Taxi for free
    And I'll buy the fuel Les!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Excellent Alan, some very interesting reading. Also a very nice photo!
    Seconded - a good pic of Alistair Darling leaning on the railing

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Seconded - a good pic of Alistair Darling leaning on the railing
    Good pic but Alan reminds me of this man

[IMG][/IMG]

Trusted Member

... another guy who once lived in Manila.

I am trying to understand his comment which he keeps repeating WE HAVE A GOVERNMENT THAT WE DID,NT VOTE FOR. Well doesn,t everybody who votes for the losing party not get the government they voted for? WHAT A .....

He is a totally Nasty piece of work - I picked up someone who knew him and they said he is a right pillock.

Starting to get sick of hearing it non stop now.

The worrying thing is that the polls have shown the gap close quite a bit. There are roughly 1 million who have not registered to vote ... mmmm

At the moment the polls are showing 57% No and 43% Yes so it is a lot closer than a lot of people thought

My prediction has always been 55/45 'NO'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information