Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want to marry a Filipina? Bill seeks additional requirements on foreign boyfriends

Do you think this is a good idea? OR

= = =

Want to marry a Filipina? Bill seeks additional requirements on foreign boyfriends
    By DJ Yap |Philippine Daily Inquirer7:46 pm | Wednesday, August 20th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines–Want to marry a Filipina? Submit an employment certificate and a certificate of good moral character first.
    A bill pending in the House of Representatives sets certain requirements before male foreigners can wed Filipino women. The proposed legislation, according to the author, seeks to protect Filipino women from exploitation.

The House approved on second reading House Bill 2387 prescribing additional requirements for interracial unions after it received sponsorship in the committee on revision of laws chaired by Pangasinan Rep. Marlyn Primicias-Agabas.

The bill was a substitute for House Bill 2387 authored by Cebu Rep. Gwendolyn F. Garcia, who described her measure as protection against “vagabonds or social and moral derelicts in their own country” and whose real motive is to abuse Filipino women.

The original version amends Article 66 of the Civil Code, which requires foreigners to submit a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage to be issued by diplomatic or consular officials.
    The new version will revise Article 21 of the Family Code, a more recent law amending sections of the old one.

“The bill shall protect Filipino women against exploitation of foreigners who marry without evident means to support a family,” Primicias-Agabas said.
    Garcia cited a need to protect Filipinas from foreigners whose “real motive for marriage is only to take advantage and exploit our women by making them work for the family and worse, by sending them to prostitution and other degrading and dehumanizing occupations.”

“The exploitation of our Filipino women, through the so-called mail-order or pen-pal, Facebook, website-made, and other internet-made marriages, has not only caused untold miseries and suffering to our Filipino women but it has also brought dishonor and disgrace to the Filipino womanhood,” she said.

The bill requires prospective foreign husbands to provide a certificate of good moral character and a certificate that he has a gainful trade, business, employment or other lawful source of incometo be issued by his country’s diplomatic or consular official.

The two new certificates are in addition to the existing requirement of a certificate of legal capacity.

Garcia’s co-authors to the bill are Representatives Henry Oaminal of Misamis Occidental, Ibarra Gutierrez III of Akbayan, Nicasio Aliping Jr. of Baguio City, Rodel Batocabe of Ako Bicol, Silvestre Bello III of 1 BAP, Al Francis Bichara of Albay, Arthur Defensor Jr. of Iloilo), Evelina Escudero of Sorsogon, Elisa Kho of Masbate, and Roman Romulo of Pasig City.

Source: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/109...ign-boyfriends

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    What can they say about the Filipino/Filipina scammers? They should know that it goes two ways.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    What can they say about the Filipino/Filipina scammers? They should know that it goes two ways.
    Exactly Rayna couldn't agree more...

All this will do will put off guys who genuinely want to find a girl in the Phils and look elsewhere.

Its a shame for the genuine filipinas because us guys have enough to go through without all this extra.....

Mmm...

Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    Exactly Rayna couldn't agree more...

All this will do will put off guys who genuinely want to find a girl in the Phils and look elsewhere.

Its a shame for the genuine filipinas because us guys have enough to go through without all this extra.....

Mmm...
    , Mark! Reasonable enough concept - in principle - I suppose ... ... but, as you (rightly) say, British suitors already have more than enough red tape to contend with at the behest of our own Embassy ... without another bureaucratic innovation to add to the current CFO palaver in the Philippines.

So when I marry Sheina in November I now need this as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    So when I marry Sheina in November I now need this as well ?
    No, I don't (think) so, Philip ... since the legislation doesn't appear to've been passed yet.

It says approved..

(image taken from the submitted official document)

Certificate of employment I can understand but who the hell do I go to for a certificate of good character.

What dies it mean by a consular official, Will my parish priest do ?

I'm in shock, please dont be true :(

It says approved..

Hmm ... contradicts the link provided, viz-

Source: Philippine Daily Inquirer, dated Wednesday August 20, 2014

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/109...ign-boyfriends

1st sentence of Paragraph 2 clearly states:

"A bill pending in the House of Representatives sets certain requirements before male foreigners can wed Filipino women ..." please.

But then it says in third chapter:

The House "approved" on second reading House Bill 2387 prescribing additional requirements for interracial unions after it received sponsorship in the committee on revision of laws chaired by Pangasinan Rep. Marlyn Primicias-Agabas.

Doesnt approved mean the same as passed ?

It says approved..

The House "approved" on second reading House Bill 2387 prescribing additional requirements for interracial unions after it received sponsorship in the committee on revision of laws chaired by Pangasinan Rep. Marlyn Primicias-Agabas.
    Yes ... you're right, it does ... I should be at this ungodly hour instead of slogging away here as if I were on nightshift.

Yep, normally it does, but there again ... ... we're talking about the Philippines ...

... where, I believe most pieces of newly-approved legislation have, in turn, to be ratified by the Senate.

Hopefully, in this instance, my hunch proves correct.

Yes ... you're right, it does ... I should be at this ungodly hour instead of slogging away here as if I were on nightshift.
    Good morning Arthur. Nice to see you up during my time zone!

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/phili...gher-1.1374293

http://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/20...nears-approval
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Becoming even more complicated!

Certificate of employment I can understand but who the hell do I go to for a certificate of good character.

What dies it mean by a consular official, Will my parish priest do ?
    I would have thought it's available from the Disclosures and Barring Service

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...arring-service

Trusted Member
    Clearly racist and discriminatory, but then... it's the Philippines.

We're just some of the awful foreigners whose money keeps their country from bankruptcy and many of their politicians in luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Clearly racist and discriminatory, but then... it's the Philippines.

We're just some of the awful foreigners whose money keeps their country from bankruptcy and many of their politicians in luxury.

True, why don't they apply these rules to Filipino men too - or don't they abuse their partners
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Do you think minor criminal convictions like theft or car offences that might show up will stop you from marrying a filipina then?

I was doing some research on how laws are passed in the Philippines...

I found this.

The various steps in the passage of a bill:

1. First Reading - Any member of either house may present a proposed bill, signed by him, for First Reading and reference to the proper committee. During the First Reading, the principal author of the bill may propose the inclusion of additional authors thereof.

2. Referral to Appropriate Committee - Immediately after the First Reading, the bill is referred to the proper committee or committees for study and consideration. If disapproved in the committee, the bill dies a natural death unless the House decides other wise, following the submission of the report.

3. Second Reading - If the committee reports the bill favorably, the bills is forwarded to the Committee on Rules so that it may be calendared for deliberation on Second Reading. At this stage, the bill is read for the second time in its entirely, together with the amendments, if any, proposed by the committee, unless the reading is dispensed with by a majority vote of the House.

4. Debates - A general debate is then opened after the Second Reading and amendments may be proposed by any member of Congress. The insertion of changes or amendments shall be done in accordance with the rules of either House. The House may either "kill" or pass the bill.

5. Printing and Distribution - After approval of the bill on Second Reading, the bills is then ordered printed in its final form and copies of it are distributed among the members of the House three days before its passage, except when the bill was certified by the President. A bill approved on Second Reading shall be included in the calendar of bills for Third Reading.

6. Third Reading - At this stage, only the title of the bill is read. Upon the last reading of a bill, no amendment thereto is allowed and the vote thereon is taken immediately thereafter, and yeas and nays entered in the journal. A member may abstain. As a rule, a majority of the members constituting a quorum is sufficient to pass a bill.

7. Referral to the Other House - If approved, the bill is then referred to the other House where substantially the same procedure takes place.

8. Submission to Joint Bicameral Committee - Differences, if any, between the House's bill and the Senate's amended version, and vice versa are submitted to a conference committee of members of both Houses for compromise. If either House accepts the changes made by the other, no compromise is necessary.

9. Submission to the President - A bill approved on Third Reading by both Houses shall be printed and forthwith transmitted to the President for his action - approval or disapproval. If the President does not communicate his veto of any bill to the House where it originated within 30 days from receipt thereof, it shall become a law as if he signed it. Bill repassed by Congress over the veto of the President automatically becomes a law.

So I guess its just got passed its second reading...

I wonder how long the rest of the process will take.

I was doing some research on how laws are passed in the Philippines...
    Body of text (see previous post)

So I guess it's just passed its second reading...
    Hmm ... would seem to tie~in with my interpretation regarding the powers of the Senate.

I wonder how long the rest of the process will take.
    Hopefully [again, !] with the speed of "Snail Mail" ... so there's every chance you and Sheina should still be in luck for your November

It says approved..

It has been amended !!
    So, does this mean there would be no more CFO and Guidance Counselling for the Spouses and Fiance of Foreign nationals who wants to settle abroad ?? .... it's another rip off !!
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

This is opening a can of worms

So not only does the UK gov want evidence you can support your spouse, it looks like you cant marry without a certificate that he has a gainful trade, business, employment or other lawful source of income, issued by his country’s diplomatic or consular official. does the person just have to have a job? will there be a minimum income required or minimum amount of savings? This will cost extra and take time.

As for a certificate of good moral character who's going to decide this again extra fees and time

This might backfire and could do the opposite of what they want, filipina's marrying by the backdoor, eg marrying on visit visas, going back and applying for a settlement visa, that's if they can find a way around the CFO sticker

Trusted Member
    Meanwhile the greedy Phils govt. and their banker chums will continue to encourage the (normally captive) population to go off to work as slaves for abusive employers in stone age countries.

I wonder if there could be a problem here:

Article 16.

(1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

(2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.

(3) The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.
    http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

This is like crab mentality in reverse and an illustration of Filipino pride in action.
    The rich and famous at the top of the barrel pushing the rest back in.
    This congress woman doesn't like terms like "mail order bride" or "Skype relationships".
    She is above such things and is ashamed of her fellow female Kababayan putting her and her ilk to shame.
    She has no clue that in the rest of the world there is no such thing as a "certificate of good moral character"!!
    Can you imagine going to the home office and asking for one?
    Stupid woman.

Trusted Member
    Fred, you're right on the button mate.

The same ridiculous attitude led to the American bases being closed, with the loss of many thousands of good jobs and associated businesses.

Now they want them back to defend them from big bully China.

Does our proud nation have any problem with the US armed forces based in our country ? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Good morning Arthur. Nice to see you up during my time zone!
    Good Evening, Fred. Tonight I'm actually posting in the proper timezone ... just!

Just wanted you to know with everything you've said in #26 ... stupid woman!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Fred, you're right on the button mate.

The same ridiculous attitude led to the American bases being closed, with the loss of many thousands of good jobs and associated businesses.

Now they want them back to defend them from big bully China.

Does our proud nation have any problem with the US armed forces based in our country ? Nope.
    I read somewhere that the R.P signed the UN charter which uphold`s the right to marry without limitations.
    Perhaps those to be affected by this law (If its passed) should get together and advise the UN.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Good Evening, Fred. Tonight I'm actually posting in the proper timezone ... just!

Just wanted you to know with everything you've said in #26 ... stupid woman!
    Good morning Arthur!! Thanks BTW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information