Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Benefits

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Benefits

Hi guys, I'm new here. Just want to seek advice.

Can you please tell me what to do, 'cos my husband is receiving Benefits - Housing Benefit, Disability Living Allowance and Income Support from JSA.

What will happen if my husband tells them that I'm working full time 48 hours a week and get £6.31 per hour?

What will happen if he says to them that I'm working? Is my husband gonna lose any money he's getting right now?

Please guys, help!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Solenn, he will lose his housing benefit, but if you are working that amount of hours you will be much better off unless your benefit exceeds the amount you would earn. When I had Housing Benefit in 2012, my amount was approx £400 per month and when my wife started working her hours were 27 hours per week at £6.31 per hour and we are better off without the Housing Benefit.

Congratulations on finding a job!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Welcome to the forum Solenn, he will lose his Housing Benefit, but if you are working that amount of hours you will be much better off unless your benefit exceeds the amount you would earn. When I had Housing Benefit in 2012 my amount was approx £400 per month and when my wife started working her hours were 27 hours per week at £6.31 per hour and we are better off without the Housing Benefit.

Congratulations on finding a job!
    Thanks Michael. So you think it's much better for me to continue my job...but the JSA and DLA is that gonna be affected as well or not. Many thanks

dla won,t be affected

Quote Originally Posted by Solenn1011 View Post
    Thanks Michael. So you think it's much better for me to continue my job...but the JSA and DLA is that gonna be affected as well or not. Many thanks
    Oh yes ... undoubtedly you'll be better-off keeping your job as Michael has indicated.

Congratulations on getting one here so quickly in the first place. Are you a care worker?

However - as Michael also mentions - your husband will lose the Housing Benefit he'd been receiving because you're being paid at a rate which *exceeds the income threshold for its entitlement. And, legally, this *fact MUST be reported to your local Council asap.

Jobseekers allowance? Well ... ... again, you will need to notify your change in circumstances to your nearest Jobcentre+. Only the staff there can decide whether such payment can continue. Likewise, THEY'LL detemine your husband's ongoing eligibilty for Disability Living Allowance.

Meanwhile, to our friendly online filipino/uk community.

Trusted Member
    As Arthur has said, your husband is required by law to declare any change of circumstances to any and all agencies who are paying benefits to him. Otherwise he may be committing fraud.

These agencies will then revise what (if anything) is payable in benefits, having taken into account your earnings, plus any other changes.

Even if there has been an over-payment by them, they will give your partner time to repay it. The most important thing is that he reports the changes to them NOW, to avoid getting into trouble.

The only one that will change is the Housing Benefit. He may still get some of it though, as you are on a low wage.

Read this as well

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...le_in_work.htm
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    The only one that will change is the housing benefit. He may still get some of it though, as you are on a low wage.

Read this as well http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...le_in_work.htm
    So Mr Win to Win, my husband's JSA and DLA money wont be affected ... even his Mobility Allowance?

Guys, even though I'm earning more than a thousand pounds a month after tax...the JSA..DLA and the mobility of my husband won't change?

Can I ask as well related to this post, as my husband is claiming Benefits also! It makes me worried now really! My husband is claiming Jobseekers Allowance on his own - I'm not included - Child Tax Credit, Council Tax and Housing Benefits.

He's not working at the moment and I am working as a Care Worker full time. So what will we do about it guys? Is it getting into trouble with my ILR visa if my husband doesn't tell them about my earnings?

Just worried!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skysisi View Post
    Can I ask as well related to this post, as my husband is claiming benefits also! It makes me worried now really! My husband claiming Jobseekers Allowance on his own - I'm not included - Child Tax Credit, Council Tax and Housing Benefits.

He's not working at the moment and I am working as a Care Worker full time. So what will we do about it guys? Is it getting into trouble with my ILR visa if my husband doesn't tell them about my earnings?

Just worried!
    Yes he MUST report your earnings!

Regardless of what the wife earns, the husband's benefits are for him, and so will not change. That includes JSA, DLA and Mobility. Only if he earns money himself will they change.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

One thing to watch is you're partner is not claiming more of a certain benefit because your living with them.

This page tells you what action to take when the sponsor of a person applying for leave has claimed public funds.
    Most categories in the Immigration Rules require people to be able to maintain and
    accommodate themselves without having recourse to public funds. A person should not
    necessarily be refused leave if their sponsor relies on public funds.
    You must check if the applicant has declared on their application form that their sponsor is
    claiming public funds. You must then check with the relevant issuing authority whether the amount of funds the sponsor receives would increase as a result of the applicant joining them.

Paragraphs 6A
    -
    6C of the Immigration Rules explains what the position is when an applicant
    is not claiming public funds them selves but their sponsor relies on public funds
    If a sponsor needs to claim more public funds to support the applicant, you must refuse the application. For example, if the sponsor claims income- based jobseeker’s allowance and this would increase if their
    dependant was granted leave as their spouse. You must refuse
    the application under the relevant paragraph of the category under which leave is being
    sought with reference to paragraph 6A of the rules.

If the sponsor needs to claim more public funds to support the applicant but these are funds the sponsor and dependant would be jointly entitled to you must not refuse the application.
    For example, if the increased funds fall under the tax credits regulations, such as Working or Child Tax Credits, then you must not regard the applicant as having accessed public funds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s_v12_0EXT.pdf
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Thread Information