Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Housing Benefit

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Housing Benefit

Hi all, hopefully someone can help as I cannot find anyone that has been in my situation. I am married to my filipino wife, and plan to live together in the UK. I am currently out of work (recovering from a broken shoulder, long story!) but I do not claim JSA, although I do claim Housing Benefit to survive!

My wife works part time also. How will the Housing Benefit be affected, as obviously my wife is not entitled to any public funds, so will Housing Benefit take this into consideration?

Any advice appreciated, thankyou.

Respected Member
    Hi,

If your wife is here you should tell the Housing Benefits Section that your wife is working. As with any changes on your status you have to tell Housing Benefits. If your wife works even part time that will affect in your Housing Benefits claim. My husband had an injury at work few months ago, he claims ESA, and we applied Housing Benefits. I worked part time but a couple of months ago I did loads of overtime to survive but unfortunately, Housing Benefits stopped our claims for the reason that I earned much.

I've got no clue about their policies, all they want is payslip every now and then. I've got 2 kids (no considerations). After all the tax we paid! I thank to God my husband is going back to work next month,

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    If your wife is not working they will pay Housing Benefit assessed on two people living in the property. Yes, your wife will be named on the paperwork, but as long as you were the one to claim you have nothing to worry about.

When my wife and I arrived from Philippines approx two years ago - even though I was on a pension - they paid over 3/4 of my rent and reduced my Council Tax to £7 per month. And bear in mind, I was renting privately.

When we applied for my wife's ILR there was no section asking for past details of Benefits. They only asked if you are on Benefit at present!

If you are out of work and not earning £18600 p/a then you will not be able to bring her here anyway as you do not reach the required salary, unless you have lots of savings.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Thread Information