Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boris

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar

Boris

Well, Boris will get everybody's vote for sure, including mine!

Trusted Member
    I will leave this for the politics pundits on the forum to discuss.

I'd vote for him over Cameron.
    But he is just the lesser of 2 evils
    Mick.

He wouldn't get mine or many other peoples votes
    We don't need more people like him in Parliament

http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    His personal life does not stand up to much scrutiny

Typical Tory Toff who cant keep it inside his trousers ............

Falls at the first hurdle with the Tories family values rhetoric

Trusted Member
    There are skeletons in the cupboard of people from all parties and walks of life.

What I find curious is the dislike in this country for people who are well-educated, successful, and strive to maintain high standards of behaviour, along with good moral values.

Perhaps that is WHY generations of them have helped propel this nation forward, while benefitting others by creating employment for them.

I have no time for those who couldn't even pass their 11+ and have made no effort to improve on that standard since, trying to pull down others who set a good example, both academically and socially.

Parents want their children to do well in life...or so they say, but in reality, any kind of REAL success in this country is greeted by a petty and jealous sour grapes attitude by the idle and the ignorant.

That's a fair point Graham and I agree with you. I pick up some very well off people and they worked hard to get where they are. They definitely are all well educated and even one or two who maybe were not the brightest at school made the most of it. A guy who lives in huge gorgeous house in South Stainley near me made his fortune selling jeans on a market stall in Leeds. I'm not jealous I admire the guy.

The mentality of some people is really starting to me off.

Someone who's successful in life and has a high standard of living.......... it's not fair they should pay more tax and support the people who can't be bothered to get off their

Politicians that are educated and qualified to do the job.......... bloody toffs who don't know the price of a loaf of bread.

Maybe there's an opportunity for an uneducated, unemployed, union supporting person to go into politics. I'm sure with the apparent support that they'd soon rise through the ranks to become leader of their chosen party, and then the majority of the population would vote for them to become prime minister

I don't have a problem with high earners paying more tax, if they did not we would be well short in revenue, the top earners pay the majority of the tax.

Doesn't matter one bit to me if someone is toffee nosed - it's about the abilty to do the job. Could not care about anyone's background as long as they are able to do the job they are employed to do. I don't know the price of a loaf of bread - I would guess about Ł1.20?

A lot of politicians are clearly intelligent people, private school does give you a better education.

We have a couple of superb private schools here and you can tell how advanced the kids are compared to the local schools.

Again, I have no problem with that - if I was loaded I may have sent my kids there as we all want the best for our kids.

Like I once said on another thread, why should footballers be paid more than a Prime Minister?

Or golfers, motor racers, tennis players, boxers, pop stars, actors, bankers etc.

Trusted Member
    It's up to the employers/agents/managers/company advertising budgets and paying public how much sports people, entertainers and celebs are paid.

Market forces.

In a communist country or a totalitarian state, perhaps things would be different.

In most cases we can vote with our feet and our wallets.
    I don't pay to go to football matches and pop concerts...or F1, boxing etc.
    Also I don't pay extra for dedicated sports channels or buy products marketed by football clubs etc.

I understand the hatred towards footballers and of course they don't justify some of the wages they get - but some of these footballers are the best in the world and anything which is the best you pay more for.

We want to watch them so we pay for the privilege.

Trusted Member
    Very true.

As I said...market forces.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    What I find curious is the dislike in this country for people who are well-educated, successful, and strive to maintain high standards of behaviour, along with good moral values.
    Did you watch the clip, morals

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    That's a fair point Graham and I agree with you. I pick up some very well off people and they worked hard to get where they are. They definitely are all well educated and even one or two who maybe were not the brightest at school made the most of it.
    Boris must have had a few paper rounds to pay his school fees at Eton college and Oxford or was it a silver-spoon that did it?
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Like I once said on another thread, why should footballers be paid more than a Prime Minister?
    Because people want to see footballers, who would pay to see Cameron ? He raises money for the Tories from the wife of a former member of President Putin's government by playing tennis

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Did you watch the clip, morals

Boris must have had a few paper rounds to pay his school fees at Eton college and Oxford or was it a silver-spoon that did it?
    Joe, the man can't help what family he was born into.

Is that all you have to offer ?

Perhaps we should all despise the poor Filipinos because they were born into poverty.

Well I would rather have Clegg, Milliband and Cameron as my neighbours over Footballers!

Milliband

Perhaps we should all despise the poor Filipinos because they were born into poverty.
    No, a bit more on morals for you ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9657961.html

Oh I don't despise people who got off their and did something

As for poor filipinos, nothing but respect for them or anyone like my misses, who struggled to get thru med school without a sliver-spoon

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Don't mean to upset you Les, nothing personal, it's just that they would be decent respectable people. Just my personal opinion because I wouldn't want to live within 50 miles of a football WAG!

According to a 2007 study, poor but bright children are overtaken by less intelligent classmates from wealthier backgrounds in the very first years of schooling. The children of wealthier parents are more likely to go to the best schools (properties in desirable catchment areas cost on average 42 per cent more), eat the best food, have access to ‘high culture’ and a place to do their homework. They also benefit from a number of other forms of social and cultural ‘capital’ their working-class counterparts lack. As children get older these inequalities are concentrated further. Around 10 per cent of young people at the bottom rung of the social ladder go on to university, compared with over 80 per cent of those from professional or managerial backgrounds. And, as universities minister David Willetts never tires of pointing out, graduates will earn on average Ł100,000 more over a lifetime than non-graduates.
    I'd guess Boris and Cameron were from the 80% and not from the 10%

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/201...ng-class-jobs/

did you watch the clip , morals

Boris must have had a few paper rounds to pay his school fees at Eton college and Oxford or was it a sliver-spoon that did it

His family could have more silver spoons than needed to resupply Oxford's canteen, he still needs to get the grades to get accepted

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    His family could have more silver spoons than needed to resupply Oxford's canteen, he still needs to get the grades to get accepted
    ... whilst I accept your point regarding the importance of good Educational grades, such standards equally apply for entrance into most - if not all - of the State Universities, Simon.

Whereas, ... ... entry into the likes of Oxford and/or Cambridge is much more likely to be [additionally] influenced by candidates' social status!

Trusted Member
    No, a bit more on morals for you ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9657961.html

Oh I don't despise people who got off their and did something

As for poor filipinos, nothing but respect for them or anyone like my misses, who struggled to get thru med school without a sliver-spoon
    Sorry Joe, but you'll have to write something sensible to get my attention on what is a serious subject.

No good posting such links for me either. I don't read newspapers...online or off.

On the subject off Boris, I have however followed his career, observed how the man behaves , and heard firsthand reports from constituents of his when he was last an MP.

He is apparently a very different person when not in front of the cameras or being goaded by people who are much bigger fools than they are making him out to be.

Respected Member
    As a Londoner i feel that Boris has failed miserably as London Mayor

Yes the deluded public love him as a comical clown but i feel politicians need more than just a few jokes

These Tory Toffs have no idea how real people live in today's UK

They are far removed from normal working people and don't really have a clue as to what's going on

Sorry Graham, but if you feel that the country needs more ex Etonians in Government from their privileged backgrounds then I totally disagree

Cameron has more than enough cronies surrounding him already

Boris bikes = too many killed on London's roads
    Boris bus = totally useless overpriced bus and the air con don't work (windows can't be opened)
    Boris Island Airport = a total non stater

Made false promises to London's Fire Brigade and London's Underground workers (before he was elected)

Failure to answer the London's assembly members questions properly on a monthly basis
    He just sits there and is unaccountable for everything...........

Boris is all about promoting Boris

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I will never understand the logic of leaders of Town Councils getting paid more than a Prime Minister that runs the whole country.

I like Boris because he wants out of Europe plus he,s a bit eccentric and I believe the Tories would win a clear majority if he was installed as Prime Minister

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Boris bikes = too many killed on London's roads
    Boris bus = totally useless overpriced bus and the air con don't work (windows cant be opened)
    Boris Island Airport = a total non stater

Bikes......... How many bikers have been killed on the London roads, and as they're so bad then why are they being introduced across other towns

Bus........... Overpriced? Is that the bus or the fare? Jeepneys are the answer

Airport........ is it really such a bad idea, or is it a reaction to BAA saying they'd shut Heathrow if they didn't get their 3rd runway??

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... whilst I accept your point regarding the importance of good Educational grades, such standards equally apply for entrance into most - if not all - of the State Universities, Simon.

Whereas, ... ... entry into the likes of Oxford and/or Cambridge is much more likely to be [additionally] influenced by candidates' social status!

State University, as opposed to a private one. With all his family's money why didn't he go to a private one, or was it a case of getting the very best education?

I pressume by the that the additional influence is a guess and not a fact Arthur!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information