Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Spouse Visa extension

Hi everybody,

My first 2 1/2 year visa will expire on 12/6/2015, but my 2 1/2 years in the country finishes in 12/4/15. I'm just wondering when should I apply for my extension?

Thanks
    RHAI ' CHARD o23

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Anytime between 28 days before of 12/4/15 to 12/6/2015.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

My mistake, my 2 1/2 will end on 12/3/15

So I can't go the Philippines in March for a holiday
    RHAI ' CHARD o23

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Anytime between 28 days before of 12/4/15 to 12/6/2015.
    Also confused on this one Rayna, I was led to believe you have to apply no earlier then 28 days before the actual 30 months in the UK.

So my wife Jamie arrived in the UK 15/12/2012 so her visa extension can be done no earlier than 18/05/2015 ie: her 30 months anniversary would be on 15/06/2015.

Also her visa shown expiry as 03/09/2015 so can it be done as late as this or is the above the correct way......

I was led to believe you have to apply based on the expiry date shown on your visa not the date you actually entered the UK?

In fact I was just reading over the guidance notes and it doesn't say exactly when, all it says in various places on the government website is...

'5. When to apply
    You and any children under 18 applying with you should apply before the end of your/their permitted stay in the UK.'

Once you apply your current visa will remain in force until they make their decision on your new application

Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    Also confused on this one Rayna, I was led to believe you have to apply no earlier then 28 days before the actual 30 months in the UK.

So my wife Jamie arrived in the UK 15/12/2012 so her visa extension can be done no earlier than 18/05/2015 ie: her 30 months anniversary would be on 15/06/2015.

Also her visa shown expiry as 03/09/2015 so can it be done as late as this or is the above the correct way......
    Mark, your wife can apply for an extension as long as it hasn't reached the expiration date of the current visa. The earliest she can apply is 28 days before her 30th month here in the UK. From that date till before the actual expiration date, your wife can apply for the extension visa. But of course, it's wiser to apply as early as you can to avoid further hassles.

A lot is actually confused about this 28 days before thing. It doesn't mean that it's the only time they can apply for a visa. It's just getting the date when they can actually start applying. And as long as the current visa hasn't reached its expiry date yet, it's fine to apply and used those valid dates in case there are more docs needed to get.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thanks Rayna

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Thanks Rayna
    Sorry I accidentally deleted my post.. hahaha...I'll try to repost it again!
    -=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    In fact I was just reading over the guidance notes and it doesn't say exactly when, all it says in various places on the government web site is...

'5. When to apply
    You and any children under 18 applying with you should apply before the end of your/their permitted stay in the UK.'

Once you apply your current visa will remain in force until they make their decision on your new application

Abigail, please read this:

10.4. Granting leave to remain as a partner

Where an applicant is applying to join or extend their leave under the 5-year partner route to settlement in the UK and they meet the requirements of R-LTRP.1.1.(a) to (c), the applicant will be granted leave to remain as a partner under D-LTRP.1.1. for 30 months on a 5-year route to settlement, subject to a condition of no recourse to public funds.

If an applicant granted leave to remain as a partner is receiving their first grant of limited leave on the 5-year route (rather than their second grant following an earlier grant of entry clearance as a partner under Appendix FM), the applicant should be advised they will need to make an application for further leave to remain as a partner of 30 months. They should make their application no more than 28 days before their leave is due to expire. They may be eligible to apply for settlement after completing 60 months (5 years) with leave to remain as a partner.

*** Page 39 of

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e_guidance.pdf
    The statement above is quite confusing though. To make it simple: The spouse visa given when you applied in the Philippines will have 33 months of validity. The eligibility for applying your extension is 28 days before your 30th month.

Now, the case is a bit different if the partner arrives to the UK with a fiance(e) visa. After getting married, he/she needs to apply for FLR(M) or Further Leave to Remain and it will have 30 months validity. For the extension of that (another 30 months), eligibility of applying the 2nd FLR(M) is 28 days before the expiry date of the current FLR(M).
    -=rayna.keith=-

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Thanks Rayna, clarification appreciated...

Thanks Rayna.. do I need to take IELTS?
    RHAI ' CHARD o23

Quote Originally Posted by rhaichard View Post
    Thanks Rayna.. do I need to take IELTS?
    Did you take IELTS in the past when you applied for your spouse visa? If yes and you have a grade of 4.0 or above in both speaking and listening, then you don't need to retake the test. If not, then you need to take a new English test.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Did you take IELTS in the past when you applied for your spouse visa? If yes and you have a grade of 4.0 or above in both speaking and listening, then you don't need to retake the test. If not, then you need to take a new English test.
    I think you still need to take the IELTS if ever the previous one's expired.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Quote Originally Posted by angellegwen View Post
    I think you still need to take the IELTS if ever the previous one's expired.
    No you don't. As long as the grades/scores you have for Speaking and Listening are equivalent to B1 and above.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Thanks Rayna.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Glad I found this helpful thread. Been here in UK since July 2013. We used a solicitor from here and he advised us to renew my visa at least 3 months prior to the 33rd month or expiration date.

I think, though, once you have your visa renewed prior to its expiration date, you can still have your holidays in March.

How did your application go Rhaichard?

Quote Originally Posted by MissDi View Post
    Glad I found this helpful thread. Been here in UK since July 2013. We used a solicitor from here and he advised us to renew my visa at least 3 months prior to the 33rd month or expiration date.

I think, though, once you have your visa renewed prior to its expiration date, you can still have your holidays in March.

How did your application go Rhaichard?
    I'm just gathering all my documents. I'm going to the Premium Services hopefully by March, as we want to go to Philippines this May.

The expiration of my spouse visa is 12 July 2015, but I want to sort things out before I go to Philippines.
    RHAI ' CHARD o23

Does anyone know how I can book for English Exam on ESOL or IELTS?

Thanks
    RHAI ' CHARD o23

Quote Originally Posted by rhaichard View Post
    Does anyone know how I can book for English Exam on ESOL or IELTS?

Thanks
    Check the links of the test providers on this approved list. Then go thru from there.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ember_2014.pdf
    -=rayna.keith=-

Thread Information