Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Pension changes soon to happen

Well what do you think of the soon to be changed Pension plans, will it be better do you think for each of us,

Just quickly looking through some of it it could be life changing for many if you think sod it I am off, yes its not going to happen for another year they say but best to start planning sooner then later I am thinking

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I never understood what the new pension system is about, all I know is that I don't think it's anything to do with State Pension, is it?

Trusted Member
    Is it more than 15 quid a week now ?

Could be more than the £15, and its the private pension Michael

Trusted Member
    I must get on to the Civil Service sometime and ask them when they're going to start paying my thruppence a week.

Not heard that for ages. Thruppence, what about a tanner instead?

Trusted Member
    Well arf a dollar would be nice...or two and a kick.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Could be more than the £15, and its the private pension Michael
    It won't affect me then. Thanks Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Not heard that for ages. Thruppence, what about a tanner instead?
    Two Bob or thruppence three farthings!

A peneth of chips with scraps wrapped in newspaper

Well I have two frozen pensions, one was a private one I was only paying £40 a month into for about 5 years.... Then I hit a rough patch and stopped it. The other was through my old company that got frozen when I got made redundant, that had about £25 a month paid into it for around 6 years.

I have just started this new one with my current job, I pay 4% of my monthly wage before tax, and my company match it, so 8% of my monthly earnings gets paid. So hopefully when I retire I may have a bit of cash to fall back on!

I just hope I live long enough to collect one lol

In another 15 years my father will have been retired longer than he had worked lol no wonder the country can,t afford to pay pensions in the far off future, because we are all living longer so quite unsustainable really .

Government Pensions in Australia are getting tougher to get with the constant new rules being implemented..

Many Aussies that are about to start receiving pensions will have to live in Australia (resident status) for at least two years before or two years after qualifying to have pension portability (in other words, they can be pensioners where ever they like).. a lot of pissed off Aussies having to leave their homes and families in the R.P to qualify.

I have a feeling that similar rules could be applied in the U.K in coming years.

Nothing sacred about old age pensions anymore.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    I just hope I live long enough to collect one lol
    Haha....well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Well I have two frozen pensions, one was a private one I was only paying £40 a month into for about 5 years.... Then I hit a rough patch and stopped it. The other was through my old company that got frozen when I got made redundant, that had about £25 a month paid into it for around 6 years.

I have just started this new one with my current job, I pay 4% of my monthly wage before tax, and my company match it, so 8% of my monthly earnings gets paid. So hopefully when I retire I may have a bit of cash to fall back on!
    I have a small private pension of £195 per month, the way I obtained it was back in the late seventies I took out a pension at £60 per month but only paid two payments because I couldn't afford it, it was frozen and after that I forgot it existed. Then later in life when I was 65 the pension company contacted me, hence a monthly pension for the rest of my life, not bad for a total of £120!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I have a small private pension of £195 per month, the way I obtained it was back in the late seventies I took out a pension at £60 per month but only paid two payments because I couldn't afford it, it was frozen and after that I forgot it existed. Then later in life when I was 65 the pension company contacted me, hence a monthly pension for the rest of my life, not bad for a total of £120!
    Blimey, can you imagine what you would have got if you,d carried on with it lol. Who was it with?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    Blimey, can you imagine what you would have got if you,d carried on with it lol. Who was it with?
    Don't I know it Brian, can't remember the name of the pension company, but a very well known one. My financial adviser had it moved to Prudential when I was due for my pension as they offered the best deal at the time, just remembered Brian, it was Zurich!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    ....I have a feeling that similar rules could be applied in the U.K in coming years.

Nothing sacred about old age pensions anymore.
    I don't think so Fred. The UK and Australia pension structures are totally different and not comparable.

The UK pension is contribution based.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I don't think so Fred. The UK and Australia pension structures are totally different and not comparable.

The UK pension is contribution based.
    Yes,I realize that Peter.. I think what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really matter where the money comes from if it has already been spent or can no longer finance future pensions.
    I see the UK pension scheme as a bit like a long running Ponzi scheme.. The ones that got in early will have had a wonderful pension and a wonderfully long retirement but the ones there after not as good,and the ones after that...
    Part of the Aussie pension system (Superannuation) made many Australians feel that they were millionaires
    as they threw everything and the kitchen sink into their index linked Government pension pot.
    Of course..they all felt like proper mugs after the financial crash a few years ago and found that they were not rich at all and would need a plan B and C in order to ever have enough to retire at all.
    Of course they still have their tax financed pension schemes and it is the rule changes to this pension and what I was referring too.. In reality,something has to give when past projections go pear shaped for pensioners now and in the future and it usually comes in the form of the Government shifting fundamental,set in stone and so called sacred goal posts.. Sacre bleu!!

Mean while..In the UK..

The £5 TRILLION burden of state sector pensions: Laid bare for the first time, £180,000 bill facing every family in Britain

Thread Information