Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Children overstaying - watch out!!

Long story short.

Went to leave Philippines on Sunday with my wife and two little children. My son and daughter both have British passports, my son having used his last year to visit me in China, my daughter not as she was not born.

We are going through immigration at Terminal 4 NAIA, hand over all our passports to travel when the immigration lady says that my son has overstayed in the Philippines by 5 months. Either pay up or you're not going anywhere. It never even crossed my mind that this could happen as he was born in Phils and has never been to the UK and only twice to China.

We are then asked if my children have a Philippine passport as this might be the get out of jail free card. Luckily, my wife packed them and was able to get them out of the suitcase which was just on its way to the plane. We only got them a few weeks ago so now the children have dual nationality.

When the immigration saw the passports, they told us to make sure that on their return, they handed both passports to Philippine immigration to be stamped as a life balikbayan - thus allowing them to stay for as long as they like for life.

Just a heads up story really guys, just in case you fall into the same situation. I never saw it coming, so be sure to get your children both sets of passports and get the stamp for life.

Steve
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Lucky.

Always carry important documents in hand luggage, whether you think you need them or not.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Trusted Member
    Thanks for drawing this to everyone's attention Steve....and glad you were able to get the situation resolved !

It was to avoid this situation that I got my son 'recognition' status before he was 2 years old, as he was born in UK, with just UK passport. - Shows certificate and can then stay as long as he likes.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Lucky.

Always carry important documents in hand luggage, whether you think you need them or not.
    Agree...and you've got them in sight all the time. No problems with 'lost luggage'. It happens !

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Wow, that was lucky Steve, glad it was resolved quickly!

they told us to make sure that on their return, they handed both passports to Philippine immigration to be stamped as a life balikbayan thus allowing them to stay for as long as they like for life.

The immigration officer is an idiot.

The kids are Filipino with exactly the same rights of abode as any other Filipino!! Balikbayan for life my ass!!

That said Steve, as dual nationals they are usually advised to travel with both passports.

Trusted Member
    I hadn't heard of this 'life Balikbayan' stamp. Is it new ?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I hadn't heard of this 'life Balikbayan' stamp. Is it new ?
    Never heard of it Graham.. Certainly not in the B.I website.

IMO the immigration officials were off that they could no longer charge the overstaying fines and then made up the new BB rules right there and then to Steve in order to save face.

Cowboys!

Trusted Member
    Sounds about right Fred.

Thread Information