Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Visit Visa Confusion

Hi, can anyone shed any light on this please?

The general visit visa guidelines talk about the fact that you should be able to support yourself, have enough money etc. Does this mean that you can't have a sponsor for this type of visa? The guidelines for a long term visa do talk about sponsors but then you have to have lived together for 2 years.

Is it not possible to get a longterm visa if you haven't lived together for 2 years? And is it not possible to be sponsored on a general visit visa? Hope that all made sense

Thanks in advance.

Visit visa is a short term visa valid for max 6 months.
    If you make a search here in the form you'll find plenty of threads to inform you

The key issues are :-
    - having sufficient funds available (either your sponsor, you or jointly)

- compelling reasons to return to your home country

I've read lots, and the more I read the more it seems that visit visas are almost impossible, especially in our case as we don't have compelling reasons - only family but I guess that isn't enough?

It seems that fiancee/spouse visas are much easier to get than visit visas?

Quote Originally Posted by LisaUK View Post
    It seems that fiancee/spouse visas are much easier to get than visit visas?
    In many cases that's true. Not least of which is that fiance(e) / spouse rules are specified in great detail with very little room for discretion.
    It's quite the opposite with visit visa's where is largely down to the discretion of the ECO

The biggest difference though is that of cost and of decision time.
    Many folks feel it's worth while spending around £80 to apply for visit visa.
    The outcome will have no impact on any subsequent settlement route visa application.

So maybe try a visit visa first, then up the ante if it fails? What about the lack of compelling reasons for return though? :/

So maybe try a visit visa first, then up the ante if it fails? What about the lack of compelling reasons for return though? :/
    If the ECO feels that, on balance of probabilities, the applicant has more reasons to stay in UK than to return home then the visa will not be granted.

There's really no definitive proof you can offer to support an intention. Just depends how the ECO views your complete application.

Don't get complacent about the settlement route visa though. There's a significant number of rules to be compliant with and substantial amounts of supporting evidence.

Yes :/ It's just very difficult to know the best route to take. The visit visa seems hard because of lack of compelling reasons, but the fiancee/spouse visa seems hard because although we've talked lots daily for 10 months we've only spent 11 days together - not sure if they'd see that as enough.

Trusted Member
    Would you normally marry someone after 11 days together ?

One thing that is for sure, is that the many hurdles you and your prospective partner will have to jump in order to procure a settlement visa, will be a good initial test of the relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Would you normally marry someone after 11 days together ?

One thing that is for sure, is that the many hurdles you and your prospective partner will have to jump in order to procure a settlement visa, will be a good initial test of the relationship.
    Exactly my point - no, I wouldn't normally marry someone after 11 days. BUT we have been in constant communication for 10 months - every day, often nearly all day as we both work from home. I guess if the visit visa was easier to get we would do that first, but it will almost certainly get refused as he doesn't have compelling reasons to return.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    You wouldnt know if your application will be refused or granted UNLESS you will try and take the risk. If you think that you have the documentation to move forward with this visit visa then go for it, in any case it is one of the cheapest visas ever.

I entered the UK in 2011 with only PHP1000 in me hand. My husband now was my sponsor but I have a very good reason why I needed to go back to the Philippines that time thats why I was granted a visit visa. The only key for me based on my experience is to provide a good reason why the applicant needs to return back to the Philippines WITH supporting documents that backs up the reason itself. If you can both provide that then try, you might be lucky, you dont know.

That's just it though - he has no compelling reasons - only his family which I don't think is enough. I think we have a higher chance of getting a fiancee visa and as that is our ultimate goal anyway I guess it's the most sensible way forward. I just don't like how long it takes :(

That's just it though - he has no compelling reasons - only his family which I don't think is enough. I think we have a higher chance of getting a fiancee visa and as that is our ultimate goal anyway I guess it's the most sensible way forward. I just don't like how long it takes :(
    Reasons to return home and strong/complelling ties differ from country to country, city to city and individual to individual.
    Some typical examples of ties can be a job, a house, social and family relationships, a bank account, possessions etc
    The ECO will be looking to see if the aspects of life that bind someone to their home country outweigh those aspects that may cause them to be unwilling to return, or to attempt to change or extend their visa status.
    That's it.
    The cost is £83
    The waiting time is just 2-3 weeks usually.
    Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

In connection with the settlement route visa (spouse/fiancee) .....

1. do you already meet the Financial requirement of gross annual salary at £18,600 ?
    2. are you sure you're ready for marriage ?

Technically, as long as you can demonstrate a Genuine and Subsisting Relationship in line with UKVI requirements and have met face-to face at least once then you'd be eligible.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    I agree with Sir Peter, also The visa fee for settlement is way much expensive than the visit visa fee. Once you get refused and they have a very good reason to refuse the application then you can never get your money back and might lose a chance to appeal.

Terpe - yes and yes - everything feels right, honestly. I would marry him tomorrow.

As far as I can see we meet all the criteria for the fiancee visa. The visit visa I'm much less confident about because of the reasons for return.

The fiancee visa times says 2 - 3 months - is that fairly accurate in your experience? Also, once (if) the visa is granted and he's here is he free to go back there and come back here as much as he wants to?

Also, I'm not sure what an acceptable period would be to apply for on a visit visa. Plus, then he'll have to go back again and we'll have to do the fiancee visa later. In a way I just feel like it's dragging out the angst. (I'm not coping with it very well already.)

Terpe - yes and yes - everything feels right, honestly. I would marry him tomorrow.
    That's great to know
    Although personally I do believe it takes plenty of time together to really know someone....
    Use the time together well under the Fiance visa.

The fiancee visa times says 2 - 3 months - is that fairly accurate in your experience? Also, once (if) the visa is granted and he's here is he free to go back there and come back here as much as he wants to?
    Yes 2-3 months is fairly accurate.
    Some folks are fortunate to be waiting less some folks might be waiting 3 months or in complex case maybe more. It does depend how busy the Manila Hub gets......now approaching peak season.

The Fiance visa is a multiple entry visa, however I'd personally suggest not to spend time out of UK but to use the available time wisely.
    Have you considered getting married in Philippines and then applying as spouse?

I wonder what happens if you get a fiancee visa but then you don't feel ready during the 6 months? Can you get another one later or is that your chance gone?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I wonder what happens if you get a fiancee visa but then you don't feel ready during the 6 months? Can you get another one later or is that your chance gone?
    If that would be the case, the visa holder needs to return to the Philippines before the visa expires. He can probably apply again for a fiance(e) visa, but he needs to justify the reasons of not getting married while he had the first fiance(e) visa. Although I haven't heard any case like that here in the forum yet.

Fiance(e) visa is for those intending to get married and settle here in the UK (the visa stamp in the passport says "Visa Marriage") and then he/she needs to apply for Further Leave to Remain (FLR M) before the visa expires.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thread Information