Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Anyone stayed in Venice - San Marco?

My wife has her 50th birthday in September and I'm looking at a surprise long weekend to Venice, does anyone have any recommendations for me, hotels around San Marco etc...?

A beautiful place to go, and we will be going soon. The only tip I can give is try to stay on the island Giudecca over looking Venice, the best view in the world

San Marco Hotel in Venice is a lovely hotel if you can afford it.Go for it!

I have stayed in this hotel myself and its very good.The service is second to none which sometimes in Italy its difficult to have.

Once went to Venice for a week ... in the Autumn of 2002.
    But ... ... since I availed myself of the much cheaper facilities offered by a "Youth" Hostel, I've no idea of hotel costs there ... !

Having said that - and in an allusion to the celebrated Elizabethan Bard's drama supposedly set in that Italian Canal City - just beware the "con" 'Merchants of Venice' (notably the coffee purveyors in and around beautiful St Mark's Square) throughout the course of your visit and you'll enjoy.

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    A beautiful place to go, and we will be going soon. The only tip I can give is try to stay on the island Giudecca over looking Venice, the best view in the world
    Absolutely. You can get the best view of Venice from Guidecca. We stayed at Hilton Molino Stucky in Guidecca and I was amazed how generous they are for putting smoked salmon in a buffet breakfast. . Also, you do not have to worry about getting to the centre of Venice on a day to day basis because they offer a complimentary water taxi (more like of a bus really) which takes you to San Marco and Zaterre on a regular time table. Also, you can go to Murano on a private speed boat for free (if you can put up with the staff trying to sell you expensive hand made glasses. There is also a water taxi which takes you back to San Marco. Spectacular view of Venice by the roof top pool and bar. (not to be missed).
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Take a lot of money.
    Toasted cheese sandwich and tea £13
    Two coffees, two beers £40

This is what was charged to people I know recently. This is the norm in a lot of cafes/bars. It is one of the worst tourist traps on the planet. Tripadvisor has thousands of horror stories.

This may be useful http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...ce-TG-C-1.html

It is a place I would avoid like the plague. Visit The Venetian in Las Vegas instead. Much cleaner, friendlier, and cheaper.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Thanks for the replies, I just received a price for airport transfer and back by water taxi, €251.00.....

The local bus from the airport, get a day pass or for as many days you are there, that will cover you for the boats and the trip back to the airport, easy peasy

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Take a lot of money.
    Toasted cheese sandwich and tea £13
    Two coffees, two beers £40

This is what was charged to people I know recently. This is the norm in a lot of cafes/bars. It is one of the worst tourist traps on the planet. Tripadvisor has thousands of horror stories.

This may be useful http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...ce-TG-C-1.html

It is a place I would avoid like the plague. Visit The Venetian in Las Vegas instead. Much cleaner, friendlier, and cheaper.
    It can be an absolute rip-off if somebody opts to become a "tourist". Stay away from San Marco, choose light lunch from bacaro's, eat where locals eat. You can get a glass of wine for 2.50 Euros. We went to Harry's Bar and got drunk with the bill (almost 50Eu for a margarita and bloody mary). Avoid going to Venice in summer! The canal water stinks and it is too crowded.
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

It's much the same anywhere you travel now in the Major European cities - especially in Italy, France and the Netherlands.

You end up overpaying for everything. Italy IS by far the worst though. San Marco is beautiful and very expensive

As they say in Italy "La vita e cosi"

As they say, do as the locals do, I try and it works

Sorted, booked the Hotel Carlton on The Grand Canal (apparently with a canal view) , and a private water taxi for OK money, now just have to keep it quiet and do a swap for my wife's work day with her colleague, Oh! and leave the kids enough pizza in the freezer while we are away.....

Thread Information