Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Exclamation 2014 Changes relating to approved English language tests

I just want to share this info especially for those members of this forum who are planning to take their English language Test soon. Apparently, ESOL skills for life test of Trinity College London will be removed from the list of approved English language test on the 1st of August 2014. For more informations about some changes on immigration rules, open the link below.

Statement below was taken from page 25 of this link https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...137/hc-532.pdf

Changes relating to approved English language tests

7.13. Applicants in various immigration categories are required to prove their English language ability. One way in which they may do so is by passing an English language test approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes. The approved tests, and the levels of English that they are accepted for, are set out in Appendix O to the Immigration Rules.

7.14. Changes are being made to remove all tests provided by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) from the list of approved English language tests on 1 August 2014. This is a scheduled withdrawal at this provider’s request.

7.15. Changes are also being made to remove specific tests provided by Cambridge English (the BULATS Online test) and Trinity College London (ESOL Skills for Life tests) from the list of approved English language tests on 1 August 2014. These changes are being made at the providers’ requests. Other listed tests from these two providers will continue to be accepted.

Statement below was taken from page 4 of this link https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...137/hc-532.pdf

The change set out in paragraph 65 of this statement takes effect on 1 August 2014. However, if an applicant has made an application for entry clearance or leave before 1 August 2014, Appendix N will be applied as in force on 31 July 2014.

The changes set out in paragraph 66 of this statement take effect on 1 August 2014.
    However, if an applicant has made an application for entry clearance or leave relying on an English language test deleted from Appendix O by paragraph 66 the following transitional provisions will apply:

(a) Appendix O as it applied on 31 July 2014 will apply to a person who makes an [B]application for entry clearance to enter the UK before 22 August 2014[/B]; and
    (
    b) Appendix O as it applied on 31 July 2014 will apply to a person who makes an application for leave to remain in the UK before 1 August 2014.

The transitional provisions set out in the implementation paragraphs of HC 198, laid on 10 June 2014, will not apply to such applications, but will continue to apply to other applications.

I am confused!!! Please help.....

I will apply for leave to remain visa on the 4th of August, paid the fee online two weeks ago and all the documents sorted. My question is, will they still accept my English Certificate which was taken from CIE Makati (University of Cambridge ESOL exam - KET) in July 2013?

My marriage visa is valid until the 2nd of September.

Hope someone will enlighten me on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    WOW! Thank you for this!! I was about to post a thread asking which would be better between ESOL and IELTS.

Now I have no choice but to have my IELTS exam.

Hi Jen,

Why are you taking another English test?

Which one did you take in the Philippines?

I am confused and worried.

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    Hello Ms. Rani!! I took TOEIC exam, that's why I am about to choose between ESOL and IELTS, then this news just came out. So I have no choice but to take IELTS I guess. These English exams stuff is very hassle you know, doble gastos pa!

When are you going to submit your visa application? I guess if you will submit it prior to August 1, I think it is still acceptable, (in my understanding)

I will viber you Miss Rani.

Sent you PM Jen... have changed my appointment from 4th August to 31st July... my visa will expire on 2nd Sept. Don't know if it is still acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    Sent you PM Jen... have changed my appointment from 4th August to 31st July... my visa will expire on 2nd Sept. Don't know if it is still acceptable.
    That is acceptable Rani, I submitted my ILR application more than 28 days as well...

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmaejon View Post
    That is acceptable Rani, I submitted my ILR application more than 28 days as well...
    Ohhhhhh I am so glad reading this message... thanks a lot Aprilmaejon

I am confused!!! Please help.....

I will apply for leave to remain visa on the 4th of August, paid the fee online two weeks ago and all the documents sorted. My question is, will they still accept my english certificate which was taken from CIE makati (university of cambridge ESOL exam - KET) on july 2013?

My marriage visa is valid until the 2nd of September.

Hope someone will enlighten me on this one.

Thanks in advance.
    What Leave to Remain is it? FURTHER or INDEFINITE? Did you use that English certificate for ENTRY CLEARANCE in the UK?

I'm open to any correction if I'm wrong, I can't see why KET won't be accepted as your proof of English Language Test.. Only TOEIC/TOEFL are no longer acceptable as it's just recently removed from the list of the approved English language test....same with ESOL skills for life of Trinity college and BULATS which will be removed too from the list on the 1st of August.

ohhhhhh I am so glad reading this message... thanks a lot aprilmaejon
    Are you going for that one day service/premium service at the PEO?

It's further leave to remain used for entry clearance.

" 7.14. Changes are being made to remove all tests provided by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) from the list of approved English language tests on 1 August 2014. This is a scheduled withdrawal at this provider’s request."

I took the KET exam from CEI. Confusing!!!

I hope its not included so no further exam needed to apply for the next visa

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmaejon View Post
    Are you going for that one day service/premium service at the PEO?
    Yes, we paid for the premium service

It's further leave to remain used for entry clearance.

" 7.14. Changes are being made to remove all tests provided by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) from the list of approved English language tests on 1 August 2014. This is a scheduled withdrawal at this provider’s request."

I took the KET exam from CEI. Confusing!!!

I hope its not included so no further exam needed to apply for the next visa
    Ooooohhh, I know what you mean now. Good thing you rebooked your appointment beforehand....

Anyway, yeah that really means that you have to take a different approved English language test for your next leave to remain visa...

I'm sorry to hear that...

yes, we paid for the premium service
    Good!

Am confused now too.

Does it mean that the Cambridge PET is not acceptable at all? Am about to sit my exam next wk and I think too late to get my refund. I hope anyone can enlighten me. Thnx
    "Love Knows no boundaries and no distance; miles and obstacles mean absolutely nothing in the face of Love"

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I would have thought that IELTS is the safe bet!

so my (expired) IELTS is still alright to submit for my ILR application next year right? just making sure .
    No amount of makeup can mask an ugly heart

Quote Originally Posted by MissAna View Post
    so my (expired) IELTS is still alright to submit for my ILR application next year right? just making sure .
    Yes

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...glish-language

Update on what English Tests have been removed.

1 August 2014 changes On 1 August 2014 appendix O was updated to remove the following CIE qualifications:

Cambridge IGCSE English as a first language
    Cambridge IGCSE English as a second language
    Business Language Testing Service (BULATS) online test issued by Cambridge English  t
    trinity College London:
    o Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life o Level 1 Certificate in ESOL Skills for life, and
    o Level 2 Certificate in ESOL Skills for life.

Transitional arrangements To allow people time to adjust to these changes, the Home Office has introduced transitional arrangements to cover the following circumstances.
    If a person has one of the above tests administered by CIE, Cambridge English or Trinity College London, you must recognise it as an approved test under appendix O that was live on 16 July 2014 if they have made an application for:
     leave to remain before 31 July 2014, or  entry clearance before 21 August 2014.
    This change affects those relying on an ETS, CIE, Cambridge English or Trinity College London certificate in their visa application.
    For information on the structure of the tests provided please see related links:
     English language provider test structure  List of approved English language tests, and  Immigration Rules - appendix O.

Quote Originally Posted by will1927 View Post
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...glish-language

Update on what English Tests have been removed.

1 August 2014 changes On 1 August 2014 appendix O was updated to remove the following CIE qualifications:

Cambridge IGCSE English as a first language
    Cambridge IGCSE English as a second language
    Business Language Testing Service (BULATS) online test issued by Cambridge English  t
    trinity College London:
    o Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life o Level 1 Certificate in ESOL Skills for life, and
    o Level 2 Certificate in ESOL Skills for life.

Transitional arrangements To allow people time to adjust to these changes, the Home Office has introduced transitional arrangements to cover the following circumstances.
    If a person has one of the above tests administered by CIE, Cambridge English or Trinity College London, you must recognise it as an approved test under appendix O that was live on 16 July 2014 if they have made an application for:
     leave to remain before 31 July 2014, or  entry clearance before 21 August 2014.
    This change affects those relying on an ETS, CIE, Cambridge English or Trinity College London certificate in their visa application.
    For information on the structure of the tests provided please see related links:
     English language provider test structure  List of approved English language tests, and  Immigration Rules - appendix O.

Newbie (Restricted Access) KeithW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I got my English test in Trinity College London. I took GESE ( Graded Examination in Spoken English). Its done well just had topic form and its took 10 mins oral exam based on my topic. The 10 mins was quick and easy. I got a result right away and they sent me the certificates within 5 working days. All ok I used it on my ILR and it was granted.

Hi guys, I am a little worried now. I am taking English Test in Trinity London tomorrow. Just confused thought Trinity is qualified??? Please help asap, thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by georose View Post
    Hi guys, I am a little worried now. I am taking English Test in Trinity, London tomorrow. Just confused, thought trinity is qualified??? Please help asap, thank you!!!

Here is the UKVI published List of approved tests and providers

As can be seen on the first page Trinity College London is shown.

If you scroll down to the last page you'll see details of the Trinity College London GESE grades required.

Now stop worrying and focus on getting the needed grades
    Good luck

Hehehe, omg, thanks Terpe ...

I passed.... thank you for advices and info's.....

That's great

Congratulations and well done

Thread Information