Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Severe Tropical Storm Rammasun / Glenda Nears the Philippines

Now Severe Tropical Storm Rammasun / Glenda is causing alarm across the Philippines and specifically the Metro Manila area as this still intensifying storm nears the coast of the Bicol region by Tuesday afternoon. As of writing this update Signal Force 2 was put in place for Bicol and 1 in the NCR. Given the storms current intensity signal force 3 is very well possible.

With the storm still developing there is a significant threat of this becoming a Typhoon prior to landfall. JMA is also expecting a Typhoon at landfall with winds maxing out at 65kts gusting to 95kts.

PAGASA has stated a storm surge is likely around 1 meter high but could be higher given the amount of the tide as the storm comes ashore. This surge will not be something like Haiyan though but you should see see coastal flooding from this ever growing storm system.

http://www.westernpacificweather.com...mmasun-glenda/

Maybe you should start manufacturing wellies
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Here we go again lol

Trusted Member
    Elementary schools will be closed in Manila tomorrow.

The tropical storm is lot more severe than predicted. We are in the center of it just now and most of the surrounding houses have lost their roofs.

If you have relatives in manila or further north please try and warn of the imminent danger.

For some reason i have a decent internet connection but no electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    The tropical storm is lot more severe than predicted. We are in the center of it just now and most of the surrounding houses have lost their roofs.
    If you have relatives in manila or further north please try and warn of the imminent danger.

For some reason i have a decent internet connection but no electricity.
    Thinking of you all, stay safe

Havent heard from my wife... She is in Cainta
    Manila right now.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Havent heard from my wife... She is in Cainta
    Manila right now.
    I understand your concern Slip, at this time Communication systems will not be functioning properly, I'm sure you'll hear from her soon as things calm down!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I understand your concern Slip, at this time Communication systems will not be functioning properly, I'm sure you'll hear from her soon as things calm down!
    Thank you

I realize the power is probably down, but last time I spoke to her she wasn't feeling well (morning sickness!) and her Mum was traveling down from Isabela to Manila as the doctor told my wife to rest as she has made the 10 hour trip to Manila at least 9 times since April!

Bloke at work couldn't get hold of his wife either last night, but she is much further south than Manila.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Slideshow: Typhoon Glenda's trail of destruction

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/07...il-destruction

People blown off their feet by the typhoon:

Glenda batters Manila:

Glenda destroys houses in Quezon:

Glenda wreaks havoc in Bataan, Zambales: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nat...ataan-zambales
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    Still haven't heard from my girl.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Still haven't heard from my girl.
    hope she will be fine ,as soon as power is back / phones charged,think flights are back to normal today so could be a crazy airport for a few days

Trusted Member
    Yeah, she normally contacts me round about now. Fingers crossed they still have a roof.

Trusted Member
    Typhoon leaves at least 38 dead, swath of destruction
    by Elena L. Aben and Ellalyn B. De Vera
    July 17, 2014 (updated)

UPDATE 2: The death toll from typhoon Glenda (international name “Rammasun”) rose to 38, while more than 500,000 people were affected, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).

Data released by the NDRRMC late Wednesday night indicate that of the 20 fatalities, 10 were reported in region 4A , five in region 4B, two in region 3, two in region 5, and one in region 8.
    Many of the fatalities were hit by fallen tree or electric post, collapsed concrete wall and collapsed house, or struck by flying debris. One died of drowning and another due to heart attack at the height of the typhoon.

Seven people were also injured and five remain missing.

The NDRRMC likewise said Glenda has affected 105,520 families or 505,264 people, of which 76,659 families or 413,119 people have sought temporary shelter in 605 evacuation centers in regions 3, 4A, 4B, 5, 8, and Metro Manila.

As of 6 p.m. JULY 16, 4,927 passengers, 46 vessels, 463 rolling cargoes, 66 motor boats, and 15 small vessels remained stranded in different ports in Luzon and the Visayas.

A total of 165 domestic flights and 89 international flights were also cancelled due to bad weather on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Col. Edgard Arevalo, spokesperson and commander, Civil-Military Operations Group (CMOG), Philippine Navy, said three fishermen were rescued in Cavite during the onslaught of Glenda.

“Aboard their rubber boats, Philippine Navy Special Operations (SEAL) Team heeded an emergency call for help and rescued three fishermen approximately 500 meters from the shores of Sangley Point, Cavite at 12:45 p.m. on July 16,” Arevalo said in a text message to reporters.

The rescued fishermen were identified as Danny Alipawpaw, 35; Larry Jurado, 41; and Joven Aipawpaw, 33 – all of Barangay 5, Amaya, Tanza, Cavite.

Arevalo said the fishermen sustained minor injuries and hypothermia. They were rushed to the Navy Hospital at Naval Station Heracleo Alano also in Sangley Point.

“According to the rescued fishermen, their banca capsized at around 4:00 in the morning when big waves and strong winds buttressed their watercraft,” said Arevalo.

He added, Navy SEAL teams continue to scour the sea for the three other companions of the rescued fishermen who are still missing.

Typhoon “Glenda,” packing maximum winds of 150 kph and blinding 185-kph gusts, pummeled the main island of Luzon starting Tuesday also knocked out power, shut down financial markets, offices, and schools, and prompted the evacuation of over 409,000 people.

Read more here :-

http://www.mb.com.ph/typhoon-leaves-...f-destruction/

Trusted Member
    The typhoon is now moving towards the south China coast.

The Observatory will raise typhoon signal No 3 in the next few hours as Typhoon Rammasun edges closer to Hong Kong, bringing with it squally showers and winds up to 70km/h..
    A statement on the Observatory website warned that winds would increase throughout the day and that the strong wind signal would be raised this afternoon.

"At 3pm, Typhoon Rammasun was estimated to be about 620km south of Hong Kong (near 16.7 degrees north 115.1 degrees east)," the Observatory said.

"It is forecast to intensify and move northwest at about 22km/h in the general direction of western Guangdong and Hainan.
    "Rammasun showed signs of intensification in the past few hours. As Rammasun edges closer to the south China coast, local winds are expected to continue strengthening. There will be squally showers and swells. The Observatory will issue the strong wind signal, No. 3 in the next few hours.

Read more here :-

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...phoon-rammasun

Trusted Member
    Mercedes is fine.

It was the long brownout, so no phone-charging.

It's certainly blowin and I'm sure Mercedes will you Graham!

Received a text from Harlene... She is trying to get on the internet but no signal...

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Mercedes is fine.

It was the long brownout, so no phone-charging.
    Glad to hear your partner is ok

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Maybe you should start manufacturing wellies
    Chainsaws and Axes might be a better idea

When the typhoon hit our town it was at maximum strength with winds up to 200kmh and to be honest i thought our house was a goner! It survived without a scratch, however some of our neighbours weren't so lucky and our house in town lost its roof.

Oh dear!

[IMG][/IMG]

Most of the 3 storey houses in town lost their roofs and thankfully nobody was injured by flying pieces of GI sheets. Someone found part of our roof half a mile away

A week after the storm we are still without electric, as most of the posts were damaged by falling trees.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Glad you and your family are safe Jake!

My grandmother's house in Bay, Laguna was hit badly too. 2 houses there in the same compound lost all the roofs and they don't even know where it went! Good thing nothing bad happened to my grandma. Also, my mum told me there were lots of bangus there now! My mum started buying PHP25/kilo from the fishermen to be sold. She said she's fed up with it now after a week! Hahaha
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    Batangas got hit pretty badly too - one of the two bridges is now washed out. Took a week to get power back to Rose's family (1/2 mile from the main mall/hospital area).

Is it correct another one named Henry is heading for Cebu?

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    ....When the typhoon hit our town it was at maximum strength with winds up to 200kmh and to be honest i thought our house was a goner! It survived without a scratch, however some of our neighbours weren't so lucky and our house in town lost its roof.
    Sorry to hear about the roof Jake ......but very glad to hear all are safe and sound.
    It IS very worrying to be in one of those strong storms

Trusted Member
    Good to hear you're all safe Jake. Roofs can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Slideshow: Typhoon Glenda's trail of destruction

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/07...il-destruction

People blown off their feet by the typhoon:

Glenda batters Manila:

Glenda destroys houses in Quezon:

Glenda wreaks havoc in Bataan, Zambales: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nat...ataan-zambales

You were lucky Jake, lets hope it doesn't happen again on your doorstep!

Trusted Member
    Thanks for your update Jake

It's a relief to know that you and your family are OK ; similarly Rayna's Lola ; Trefor's Rose and family ; Graham's Mercedes ; and I hope everyone else connected with the Forum

As Brian ( Tiger ) said, " Here we go again " - hope you are also OK.

With every typhoon involving this part of the world, we always hope for the best, most sincerely as we all have family / friends in the Philippines.

Good to hear all are well. We were on the outskirts of the typhoon this time being slightly north and shielded by the mountains but we had a heavy rainstorm, but not too bad. We drove to Manila last Monday after the storm and saw a lot of damage.

I think the next typhoon right now is already over Taiwan and heading north to China so time for the Philippines to breathe again.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information