Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Can't live without my mobile phone

Yesterday we were in town and the amount of people walking around with the mobiles texting and not looking where they are going, its you that has to move for them. Well I dont and I am a stocky person so many seem to bounce off me. You may get a sorry or a grunt of some sort, and this goes for men and women too,

What did we all do before we had phones, I now dont take mine with me when we go out together, back to talking to each other rather then head down and typing to others I say, or am I being old fashioned?

I had fish and chips for dinner last night, waiting in the chippy I was the only person without one in my hand

I go days without remembering to turn mine on!

Shows what a sad life I lead I suppose
    Mick.

We have become a race of phone morons. I often see big fat chav with kid in pushchair attempting to cross busy road while pushing kid and texting. Brainless idiots. Should be on the spot fine.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Yesterday we was in town and the amount of people walking around with the mobiles texting and not looking where they are going, its you that has to move for them , Well i dont and i am a stocky person so many seem to bounce of me you may get a sorry or a grunt of some sort, and this goes for men and women too,
    What did we all do before we had phones, i now dont take mine with me when we go out together, back to talking to each other rather then head down and typing to others i say, or am i being old fashion,
    I think the SMART phones are only brilliant for SMART users
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    I had fish and chips for dinner last night, waiting in the chippy I was the only person without one in my hand

I go days without remembering to turn mine on!

Mick.
    You are not alone Mick

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    I think the SMART phones are only brilliant for SMART users
    Very good

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    We have become a race of phone morons. I often see big fat chav with kid in pushchair attempting to cross busy road while pushing kid and texting. Brainless idiots. Should be on the spot fine.
    How many do you still see driving with it pinned to their ear - or trying to hide it against their double chins

All the time. Easy solutions compulsory 3 month ban and £500 fine. No appeal. Would stop overnight.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Never take mine anywhere because it never rings and I only make one call a month at the most, that's why my ten pound top up lasts many many months!

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post

Mick.
    Mick ... rather the opposite, I'd say - it's those morons who cannot seem to live without constantly texting on their mobiles that need a "wake-up" call - you're the normal person!

I seldom use mine - except for emergencies.

I see many users answer their mobile at the cash out till and the teller plus the next customer waiting on them, in the bank also.

I find my wife Lolita does it too, we were sitting talking to the manager in the bank at her desk, Lolita's cellphone rings, what does she do,,, answer and talk to the caller. I said to her in front of the manger how rude she was.

Also, I treat a text message as not urgent to answer, and I will read and answer as soon as its convenient, but not Lolita - she has to respond immediately

Banned
    I hate that - people jawing away on their phones whilst being served at the checkout shows rudeness and a complete lack of respect for the member of staff

Such negative posts about a great creation. My mobile is my third arm at times and helps me out every day.

I bet all the guys that are knocking mobiles on here use their landlines and receive calls on their landlines every day.

I have my mobile of silent when we are out but it is very handy all the time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Such negative posts about a great creation. My mobile is my third arm at times and helps me out every day.

I bet all the guys that are knocking mobiles on here use their landlines and receive calls on their landlines every day.

I use my mobile a lot but would not dream of taking or making a call whilst being served in a shop, pub, bank, restaurant or whilst in close proximity to strangers eg I'll take a walk into the car park, outside or up the platform

They are fantastic thing to have, and yes I use one everyday too, but like anything in life there is a time and a place to use it,
    The times when you are sitting talking to each other and you look around and I bet a good 75% are on their phones texting or just looking to see if they have missed that call,

But each to there own

It is a bit like talking your Grandparents and asking, what did you do before TV and why have I got 10 siblings.

Yep, and we all end up like them too, we just go round and round and round: "Hang about, my phone's ringing, I'll be right back!"

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I see many users answer their mobile at the cash out till and the teller plus the next customer waiting on them, in the bank also.

I find my wife Lolita does it too, we were sitting talking to the manager in the bank at her desk, Lolita's cellphone rings, what does she do,,, answer and talk to the caller. I said to her in front of the manger how rude she was.

Also, I treat a text message as not urgent to answer, and I will read and answer as soon as its convenient, but not Lolita - she has to respond immediately
    Hi Stewart, that's just one of the things in the Philippines that I put down to bad manners!

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post

I only give my landline number to anyone that requires our phone number and it's free, apart from about 10 calls in 26 months there's only British Gas and BT that ever call us and I love the landline, just wish it would ring once a week!

no one is knocking the phone it's people who act like morons whilst using one

Banned
    A lot of the idiots who feel no shame in letting the rest of the world know about their goings on are "I'm the big I ams" or "look at me" I love it when some dragon of a doctors receptionist tells them to obey the notice and switch it off

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    A lot of the idiots who feel no shame in letting the rest of the world know about their goings on are "I'm the big I ams" or "look at me" I love it when some dragon of a doctors receptionist tells them to obey the notice and switch it off
    Well said!

I have "free" calls to ANY UK landline as part of an unlimited broadband package with TalkTalk ... the only real drawbacks
    being:

Doesn't include 0845 or 0871 numbers

and

My name no longer appears in the local directory.

But ... ... apart from those relatively minor considerations, it's a *pretty good deal - averaging out at roughly £25 to £30 per month - and means Myrna's in regular touch with her niece, who's a nurse in Hartlepool.

By contrast, mobile phone charges are a "rip~off"!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    I have "free" calls to ANY UK landline as part of an unlimited broadband package with TalkTalk ... the only real drawbacks
    being:

Doesn't include 0845 or 0871 numbers

and

My name no longer appears in the local directory.

But ... ... apart from those relatively minor considerations, it's a pretty good deal - averaging out at roughly £25 to £30 per month - and means Myrna's in regular touch with her niece, who's a nurse in Hartlepool.
    I haven't seen a phone directory for about 30 years, Yellow Pages has always been delivered for many years but I always file it in the recycling bin!

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Yesterday we were in town and the amount of people walking around with the mobiles texting and not looking where they are going, its you that has to move for them. Well I dont and I am a stocky person so many seem to bounce off me. You may get a sorry or a grunt of some sort, and this goes for men and women too,

What did we all do before we had phones, I now dont take mine with me when we go out together, back to talking to each other rather then head down and typing to others I say, or am I being old fashioned?
    If you think it's bad here in UK, you should experience it in Hong Kong! It's so bad there that there are signs everywhere telling people to stop looking at their mobile/ cell phone and to watch what they are doing. People just stop dead in their tracks on the pavements to text, play games or view the internet and others literally fall over them! Quite ridiculous

I never owned one till my Mrs bought me one that I lost somewhere after about a week.

I call it my lucky escape...

That said..I was never really into land lines either.

They are useful of course - I even watch tv on mine when working, but people seem to be dominated by them.

Couldn't watch anything on a phone screen and wouldn't know how to. I can't believe people go online on a phone - and, if so, what on earth for? They should wait until they get home and use their computers in comfort in nice plush, peaceful surroundings!

Ah, for me it's different when sat on Taxi rank. New phones have bigger screens so easy to watch tv. Also it's where I type most of my daytime responses to the Forum - along with checking flight times etc. But when I'm out and about, phone stays in pocket and I converse with people face to face whilst drinking beer

Thanks for the info Les, I understand and what my meaning was, I don't know how to cope with today's Phone's, to me a phone is just a phone!

Thread Information