Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Wimbledon final

Wimbledon final

Blimey I know footballers get stupid money but 1.7 million for a game of tennis!

Banned
    I've no interest in it whatsoever - it annoys me that such a minority sport has always had this blanket, taxpayer funded, 2 week BBC coverage.

Nearly agree but some of the female tennis payers are hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I've no interest in it whatsoever - it annoys me that such a minority sport has always had this blanket, taxpayer funded, 2 week BBC coverage.
    I don't think the tax payers' funded BBC do too badly out of it

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/about...574376496.html

nearly 380 million viewers worldwide

over 17 million UK viewers for last years final, not bad for a minority sport

over 17 million UK viewers for last years final, not bad for a minority sport
    True but it's only once a year - I think we used to get as many viewers for it's a knockout

It brings in a lot of money to the BBC from the international broadcasting rights.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    It brings in a lot of money to the BBC from the international broadcasting rights.
    I don't think that is strictly true:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/about...585368259.html

The BBC is the "host broadcaster" the LTA negotiate their own worldwide deals

It doesn't justify the BBC filling their UK channels with it

I don't think that is strictly true:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/about...585368259.html

The BBC is the "host broadcaster" the LTA negotiate their own worldwide deals

It doesn't justify the BBC filling their UK channels with it

I think there's quite a few licence payers that may disagree with you there

Personally I'd rather not be bombarded with poofball World Cup but there's a lot that like it

Roll on 2015 and the Rugby World Cup

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar

Football is not the only sport that has the right to be shown on TV. Get a grip.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I like all sport and now a bit of a Tour de France convert.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post

Football is not the only sport that has the right to be shown on TV. Get a grip.
    If there was anything significant to be made out of showing tennis Sky, BT Sport, Fox etc would have muscled in on it. We've never been any good at it and the current crop of Murray, Robson & company join a long list of British/Scottish failures.

Your average town may have one tennis club and a few public courts - compare that to the number of football clubs and pitches

If there was anything significant to be made out of showing tennis Sky, BT Sport, Fox etc would have muscled in on it. We've never been any good at it and the current crop of Murray, Robson & company join a long list of British/Scottish failures.

Your average town may have one tennis club and a few public courts - compare that to the number of football clubs and pitches

Or motor racing circuits, cycle velodromes, rowing lakes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Or motor racing circuits, cycle velodromes, rowing lakes
    I'll have to check the TV schedules for when the 2 week blanket coverage is

I'll have to check the TV schedules for when the 2 week blanket coverage is

Is that similar to duvet racing

Pleased to say that I managed to avoid it yet again this year. With one man and two women in the Top 100 it is clear that it's a sport for the minority in this country or the lucky few.
    I understand that Murray's mum shipped him off to foreign pastures at a young age for him to develop his natural talent which is a sad indictment of the facilities available in this country.
    The top 100 is full of people from much poorer countries than ours which shows that they have far greater access to facilities at a younger age and probably a greater hunger to succeed.
    The only people I know who really look forward to it are the Taxi Drivers of Wimbledon who class the fortnight as their second Christmas
    There are far more sports that appeal to the public but get much less coverage on TV so I for one would support any move away from Tennis and into Cycling etc.

Banned
    Spot on Marco

Other factors that sicken me about Wimbledon are Labour politicians, celebrities and worthies lording it in the vast royal box along with RBS and BBC wasting taxpayers money on "hospitality"

Sorry chaps, you're right

We don't stand a chance so we should all stop watching and encouraging youngsters to play.

Hey kids, don't watch that, we're at it. Here watch poofball instead, see that dive? If you practice really hard you too could earn Ł100's of thousands a week to be a cheat too.

Banned
    It seems like a bygone age when all the cricket ball scratching, athletics and cycling doping, rugby fake blood and ear biting was going on

I take it from your sarcasm that you're in favour which is fine. You pay your license fee your entitled to your opinion.

But if, as a nation, we were sincere about promoting the game among our youngsters, there would be far more facilities available and far more encouragement. Let's be honest, we all know what the All England Club stands for and it's certainly not about splashing money about in state schools to encourage kids to participate.

Ded makes an interesting point as well. Instead of handing out freebies to 2 bob celebrities and 2nd rate politicians who are always on the scrounge, give the tickets to the local schools to get the kids in just like some football clubs in the area have been doing for years.

I know one thing for certain is that if I had a son who was very skilled in sports it would take far less financial investment on my part for him to progress in Football, Rugby, Cycling or Athletics than it would in Tennis. Some parents are only able to give their time.

I'm a fan of tennis and it's like you blokes here are telling me to stop watching it and not enjoy the sports I enjoy to watch. I don't like cricket, cycling and rugby but I will not tell all you complainers here to stop watching it on TV. Lots of whiners here really. I want to delete my account here now!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I want to delete my account here now!
    Don't go - we'd miss you

Banned
    We're not asking you to stop watching tennis Rayna (my wife likes it so I just leave the room) just expressing the view that our national state owned terrestrial TV broadcaster for years has given excessive coverage to a minority and some say elitist sport.

Do the BBC provide live coverage of any other tennis games (national or international) to it's perceived massive audience ? I suspect the last time was the London Olympics

PS I also loath cricket and prefer to watch paint dry

I'm out of here!
    -=rayna.keith=-

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I enjoy watching tennis, but can't work out who's winning because I don't for the life of me understand the way they score!

Watched the final and enjoyed it!
    Husband had to do some grass cutting, fixed his bike just not to be in the living room as me for Novak!!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    Watched the final and enjoyed it!
    Husband had to do some grass cutting, fixed his bike just not to be in the living room as me for Novak!!
    How do you work out the scoring Han? Would love to know!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    I take it from your sarcasm that you're in favour which is fine. You pay your license fee your entitled to your opinion.

But if, as a nation, we were sincere about promoting the game among our youngsters, there would be far more facilities available and far more encouragement. Let's be honest, we all know what the All England Club stands for and it's certainly not about splashing money about in state schools to encourage kids to participate.

Ded makes an interesting point as well. Instead of handing out freebies to 2 bob celebrities and 2nd rate politicians who are always on the scrounge, give the tickets to the local schools to get the kids in just like some football clubs in the area have been doing for years.

I know one thing for certain is that if I had a son who was very skilled in sports it would take far less financial investment on my part for him to progress in Football, Rugby, Cycling or Athletics than it would in Tennis. Some parents are only able to give their time.

No sarcasm intended Marco, I'm in favour of all sports and encouraging kids to participate

I'm not sure where some people get the elitist sport attitude from, have a search for tennis for free to see who has access to the sport. As far as financial commitment is concerned I think if young offspring were to progress in a sport then I'd much rather spend a few hundred on a carbon tennis racket than a few thousand on a carbon road bike

Just to clarify, I've never played tennis but I'd much rather watch two weeks of sport than two weeks of soap opera drivel

If there was anything significant to be made out of showing tennis Sky, BT Sport, Fox etc would have muscled in on it.
    It is written into law that certain sporting events HAVE TO BE ON TERRESTRIAL TV. They include Wimbledon, The Derby, Grand National, etc
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    It is written into law that certain sporting events HAVE TO BE ON TERRESTRIAL TV. They include Wimbledon, The Derby, Grand National, etc
    Well that's great - Derby, National over and done in next to no time - Wimbledon 2 weeks. About time the law was rescinded

Thread Information