Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Somebody up there is looking out for me!

Was out in my car last night and as I approached my road I pressed the brake to turn in and found I had no brakes.. the pedal hit the floor! Thank god for the handbrake that got yanked up pretty sharpish!
    To say I let out a little brpppppppp is an understatement, luckily for me I was only doing 10 mph and at 9.30pm the road was empty, had it been school finishing time there would have been kids everywhere (as per normal!) Minutes earlier I had been doing around 50mp/h.

Thinking about it today I actually realised how lucky I was they didn't go at 50mp/h... It was late at night and not school time.... I don't think I could have lived with myself had I killed someone let alone a child. Or I could have been killed myself if I had hit another vehicle!

As I couldn't check the car out last night it was dark when I finally parked it up and I had to be up at 5am for work (thankfully got a lift from a passing workmate) I just checked it out now....

My (I know nothing about mechanics) opinion is this pipe here that is split and leaking feeds the brakes with hydraulic fluid?

Now I just need somebody to fix it....
    Attached Images Attached Images

A very bloke you are!

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    A very lucky bloke you are!
    Phew ... I'll say ... "lucky break", indeed ... !

Hope you manage to get your brakes fixed soon to prevent any further unexpected "slip-ups" [!] mate.

Trusted Member
    You were very lucky !

The last time that happened to me was at the MOT testing station....after the last press of the pedal, while he was testing the handbrake.

He never noticed the burst pipe, turned round, wrote out the pass cert, and then I drove home on the handbrake.

Replaced the brake pipe myself.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Very lucky Slip, also not too expensive to fix, pleased you're ok and no one hurt, could've been worse!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Was out in my car last night and as I approached my road I pressed the brake to turn in and found I had no brakes.. the pedal hit the floor! Thank god for the handbrake that got yanked up pretty sharpish!
    To say I let out a little brpppppppp is an understatement, luckily for me I was only doing 10 mph and at 9.30pm the road was empty, had it been school finishing time there would have been kids everywhere (as per normal!) Minutes earlier I had been doing around 50mp/h.

Thinking about it today I actually realised how lucky I was they didn't go at 50mp/h... It was late at night and not school time.... I don't think I could have lived with myself had I killed someone let alone a child. Or I could have been killed myself if I had hit another vehicle!

As I couldn't check the car out last night it was dark when I finally parked it up and I had to be up at 5am for work (thankfully got a lift from a passing workmate) I just checked it out now....

My (I know nothing about mechanics) opinion is this pipe here that is split and leaking feeds the brakes with hydraulic fluid?

Now I just need somebody to fix it....
    Time to trade that old banger in and get something decent

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Time to trade that old banger in and get something decent
    Lol. you are so right!

I only need a car to commute to work, on my days off I rarely use it... Hence the reason I do only have an old banger. I have only done 75 miles in it since I came back from Philippines on June 17th... So as you see the reason for my old banger is why spend thousands on a car just for it to sit there.

My current car was made in 1991 lol.. I paid £500 for it from my Grandad when he used to sell second hand cars before he retired. Oh and that was almost 10 years ago, so it's stood me in well....

I will see how much it will cost to repair, then I may just get a new second hand car.

Trusted Member
    Brakes should be cheap enough.

Thread Information