Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Using my ex husband's name

Hi there everyone!

I am now here in Uk for fiancee visa. Now i have trouble with the name that i am using now. let me tell you a bit of my story.
    I am was married to an american before but the relationship didn't work out so we got divorce. Been using my ex's name ever since coz Philippines don't honor divorce. So i then i file a Recognition of Foreign divorce in the court back in Cebu. After i get the finality from the court. i didn't have time to change my passport as i have to go to vfs and lodge my application for fiancé visa.. Now my question is do i need to worry about this surname that i am still using (which is my ex's surname) when most of my papers here which has the proof of address i used is my maiden name. how can i change my name now that i am her in uk. i don't like to use my ex's name anymore but thats what is written in my passport.. pls do help as i am confused

Quote Originally Posted by Baruk View Post
    Hi there everyone!

I am now here in Uk for fiancee visa. Now I have trouble with the name that I am using now. Let me tell you a bit of my story.

I was married to an American before but the relationship didn't work out so we got divorced. Been using my ex's name ever since, coz Philippines don't honor divorce. So I then file a Recognition of Foreign Divorce in the court back in Cebu. After I got the finality from the court, I didn't have time to change my passport as I have to go to VFS and lodge my application for fiancé visa.. Now my question is, do I need to worry about this surname that I am still using (which is my ex's surname) when most of my papers here which has the proof of address I used are in my maiden name? How can I change my name now that I am here in UK? I don't like to use my ex's name anymore but that's what is written in my passport.. pls do help as I am confused
    You are on a fiance visa right?...I don't see any point of changing your surname now, if you are marrying again very soon??

You can change it all after you get married and before you apply for FLR or you don't need to change it at all as long as you got your divorce papers and your new marriage certificate in hand all the time.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

You mean proof of address in the UK? To be in the safe side, can you not consider using the name which is in your passport for your proof of address? Then just change the name in your passport when you get your FLR granted...

Yes, I mean the proof of address in the UK.. most of it is in my maiden name. Am I in trouble with that? I didn't follow my name in my passport

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    You are on a fiance visa right?...I don't see any point of changing your surname now, if you are marrying again very soon??

You can change it all after you get married and before you apply for FLR or you don't need to change it at all as long as you've got your divorce papers and your new marriage certificate in hand all the time.
    Maybe I just hate that name and it's been there ages now.. and plus I don't want that to be mentioned during my wedding eh?

Maybe I just hate that name and it's been there ages now.. and plus I don't want that to be mentioned during my wedding eh?

Here's the link if you really want to change it now.

http://philembassy-uk.org/wp-content...ent-090910.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    here's the link if you really want to change it now.
    http://philembassy-uk.org/wp-content...ent-090910.pdf
    Ohh, thanks a lot, that is so nice of you.. salamat for the help.. cheers!

Ohh, thanks a lot, that is so nice of you.. salamat for the help.. cheers!
    NO worries

Thread Information