Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

IELTS 2 year validity?

Hello again,

Jen was one of the unlucky set who originally took the TOEIC exam for her fiancée entry visa and is now having to retake the English test for the FLR(M) visa application.

I was looking at the IELTS, since there is a test centre nearby, but according to the document below it is only valid 2 years!

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...uage_tests.pdf

If that is the case, then we would find ourselves having to take yet another test in a couple of years when we come to apply for ILR.

Would ESOL (GESE Grade 5 ESOL Exam (B1 Test Speaking & Listening) be a better alternative? It has the benefit of only lasting 10 minutes as well.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    IELTS has only 2 year validity yes but once you have achieved a B1 qualification in English then you dont have to retake another test, I stand to be corrected on that.

I have an ESOL Certification that was awarded to me by Cambridge after I passed the ESOL Listening and Speaking Level 2 exam last year. ESOL has no expiration, I enrolled meself in the college and paid 200 odd quid at first but they returned the payment after I applied for the student support fund which I am eligible due to my circumstances. In short, I got it all for free. The test only lasted for 30 mins, very easy to do, just a conversation and listen to a recording.

I suggest you to ring your local college and see if they can do an assesment for your wife. Ask if your wife is eligible for student fund and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper999 View Post
    Hello again,

Jen was one of the unlucky set who originally took the TOEIC exam for her fiancée entry visa and is now having to retake the English test for the FLR(M) visa application.

I was looking at the IELTS, since there is a test centre nearby, but according to the document below it is only valid 2 years!

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...uage_tests.pdf

If that is the case, then we would find ourselves having to take yet another test in a couple of years when we come to apply for ILR.

Would ESOL (GESE Grade 5 ESOL Exam (B1 Test Speaking & Listening) be a better alternative? It has the benefit of only lasting 10 minutes as well.
    I applied for my ILR even my IELTS already expired over a year now.

And yes, ESOL is another alternative, and the exam don't take longer than the IELTS exam, no expiry date too.

Many thanks.

Melovesengland, would you need the ESOL Listening and Speaking Level 5 exam for your ILR or do you already have that?

Quote Originally Posted by jasper999 View Post
    Many thanks.

Melovesengland, would you need the ESOL Listening and Speaking Level 5 exam for your ILR or do you already have that?
    As far as I know, ESOL Level 5 is for study and work. I was on ESOL Skills for Life Level 2. I am going to use the ESOL certificate I have for my ILR application early next year.

Ah ok, there is entry Level 1-3 as well as Level 1 and 2. And entry Level 3 and above satisfies the B1 requirement? Got it now, thanks.

No worries.

Are there any requirements needed to take an English Exam?

Thanks.

Well, mostly identification card i.e. passport they ask to confirm the person that is taking the exam is you. Or if you mean requirements to enrol on an English Test course, then that depends on the school where the course is provided.

Aside from the fee, they might ask for your IDs or immigration status or proof that you are allowed to study in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by melovesengland View Post
    Well, mostly identification card i.e. passport they ask to confirm the person that is taking the exam is you. Or if you mean requirements to enrol on an English Test course, then that depends on the school where the course is provided.

Aside from the fee, they might ask for your IDs or immigration status or proof that you are allowed to study in the UK.
    thank you for the info. gbu

Thread Information