Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Exclamation Questions about the requirements for Indefinite leave to remain (Old Rules)

Hi guys

I know its been over a year since I last posted. it's just I've been very busy at work. I now realize that it's not easy to earn money.

The reason I'm back is that I have some few questions I would like to ask from you 'experts' (people out there). This forum helped me before and I'm sure you guys can help me again. So here it is.
    No amount of makeup can mask an ugly heart

1. I heard there is a new Philippine passport (the one with chips or something e-passport?). Do I need to get a new one before I will apply for the ILR?

-My passport will expire on Dec 29, 2015.
    -My FLR(M) will expire on Feb 12,2015

2. Do I need to take an English exam for my ILR?.
    -my IELTS already expired on Sept 24, 2013 (2 years valid only)
    -my band score was 6.5
    -remember I'm under the old visa rules

3. What are the requirements for applying Indefinite Leave to Remain?
    -My FLR(M) will expire on Feb 12, 2015

4. When is the best time to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

5. Do I really need to change my maiden name to marriage name before applying for ILR?

I'm really sorry for the long list of questions. I hope I did not confuse you . I just want to make sure everything will be stress free for me this time.

I hope somebody will answer

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Welcome back, at least your IELTS will be Ok, I'm sure someone will answer the rest of your enquiries soon. Good luck with your application!

Quote Originally Posted by MissAna View Post
    1. I heard there is a new Philippine passport (the one with chips or something e-passport?) . Do I need to get a new one before i will apply for the ILR?

-My passport will expire on Dec 29, 2015.
    -My FLR(M) will expire on Feb 12,2015

2. Do I need to take an English exam for my ILR?.
    -My IELTS already expired on Sept 24, 2013 (2 years valid only)
    -My band score was 6.5
    -remember i'm under the old visa rule

3. What are the requirements for applying Indefinite Leave to Remain?
    -My FLR(M) will expire on Feb 12, 2015

4. When is the best time to apply for Indefinite leave to Remain?

5. Do I really need to change my maiden name to marriage name before applying for ILR?

I'm really sorry for the long list of questions. I hope I did not confuse you . I just want to make sure everything will be stress free for me this time.

I hope somebody will answer
    Hi Ana, I just applied for my ILR couple of weeks ago and like you, I am under old rule. I have an old passport which will expire on 2016 and still on my maiden name.

1. You don't need to get a new passport.

2. You don't need to take another English exam as your IELTS though expired is still acceptable.

"Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications like spouse/fiancé visa and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date."
    "Home office will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one."

3. Requirements are:

Yours and your husband's passport
    Your BRP card
    Marriage Certificate
    Life in the UK passed certificate
    English Certificate
    Recent 3 months payslips (yours and husband)
    Recent 3 months bank statements (yours and husband)
    Proof of cohabitation spreading over 2 years (Refer on the ILR form page 31, section 11)
    2 x identical passport picture of yours
    1 x passport picture of your husband

4. Apply for your ILR 28 days before the FLR visa expires...

5. You don't need to change your maiden name...but you can if you want to and if you got enough time to renew your passport. Be aware that your passport and BRP card details should match which means if you renew your passport, you have to renew your BRP with the UKBA as well.

Latest ILR Form https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...T_M__06-14.pdf
    Note: Always check for the latest form online and make sure to submit the most latest one.

Standard payment by post is £1093
    One day service by the public enquiry office is £1493

If you will gonna have some problems with your documents; or unsure about your documents, go for the settlement checking service.

(The Settlement Checking Service is a partnership between the UK Visas and Immigration.

The Service allows customers to submit their SET(M) application for permission to settle permanently (also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK as a spouse or partner of a British Citizen or settled person at a Registration Service.

The service will:

-check that the application is complete and all the necessary supporting documents have been included;
    -check that you have paid the correct application fee;
    -check if any of the documents are missing, not acceptable or if you have provided documents that are not required by UK Visas and Immigration;
    -make certified copies and return all relevant documents including your spouse or partner’s passport or travel documents;
    -send documents to UK Visas and Immigration via secure mail;
    -ensure your application will arrive at UK Visas and
    Immigration complete, avoiding any unnecessary delays.

The UK Visas and Immigration has found that the Settlement Checking Service is generally faster than the normal postal application process. This is due to fewer applications being rejected due to incompleteness or missing documents.)

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ecking-service

I hope I answered your questions. :-)

Aprilmaejon for answering my questions .

So, getting the new passport is not needed since I still have a valid passport until I get my ILR sorted right? and if I will change my name, I won't have enough time to change my BRP card.

I'm glad I dont need to take the English exam. I guess all I need to take is the Life in the UK. I'm starting to study but there's so much to remember.

Every time I will take the practice test, I always fail I hope my brain cells will start to work. Any advice please?

My husband and I decided that we will use the ONE DAY service. Is it included where they will check my documents? (The Settlement Checking Service you where talking about)?

Aprilmaejon for answering my questions .

So, getting the new passport is not needed since I still have a valid passport until I get my ILR sorted right? And if I will change my name, I won't have enough time to change my BRP card.

I'm glad I don't need to take the English exam. I guess all I need to take is the Life in the UK. I'm starting to study but there's so much to remember.

Every time I will take the practice test, I always fail. I hope my brain cells will start to work. Any advice please?

My husband and I decided that we will use the ONE DAY service. Is it included where they will check my documents? (The Settlement Checking Service you where talking about)?
    Yeah it is not very necessary to get a new passport since you still got one that is valid. You may still have 6 or 7 months before you apply for your ILR, but if I am you, I won't take a risk of applying for a new passport, which will takes maybe 2 or 3 months for the result to come...and BRP changing name as well may also take quite a while and it's unpredictable how long it's gonna take.

There's a lot to remember indeed with the Life in the UK book. My only advice for you is, keep reading and understanding the entire book. Bear in mind that every detail in the book is important. Don't miss a thing. Make sure to understand each important events. Even if you finish the book, keep re-reading and reviewing it. Don't rely on practise questions and questions! I strongly discourage the practice answers and question book or online test. None of the questions there will come out in the exam. Actual questions are pretty tricky and misleading. What I did was, after booking my test, I took a week off from work just re-reading and re-reading and understanding the whole life in the UK book for the whole week...gladly I passed the exam and felt that a week off from work just to study was really worth it!

One day service (Public Enquiry Office)officer will also check your documents but in case you are have a missing document, the office won't provide it for you....

The Settlement Checking Service will check everything first, making sure that your documents are complete and not missing anything before the day of your application, it may be by postal or by the public enquiry office (one day service).

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmaejon View Post
    Yeah it is not very necessary to get a new passport since you still got one that is valid. You may still have 6 or 7 months before you apply for your ILR, but if I am you, I won't risk of applying for a new passport, which will takes maybe 2 or 3 months for the result to come...and BRP changing name as well may also take quite a while and it's unpredictable how long it's gonna take.

There's a lot to remember indeed with the Life in the UK book. My only advice for you is, keep reading and understanding the entire book. Bear in mind that every detail in the book is important. Don't miss a thing. Make sure to understand each important events. Even if you finish the book, keep re-reading and reviewing it. Don't rely on practise questions and questions! I strongly discourage the practice answers and question book or online test. None of the questions there will come out in the exam. Actual questions are pretty tricky and misleading. What I did was, after booking my test, I took a week off from work just re-reading and re-reading and understanding the whole life in the UK book for the whole week...gladly I passed the exam and felt that a week off from work just to study was really worth it!

One day service (Public Enquiry Office)officer will also check your documents but in case you are have a missing document, the office won't provide it for you....

The Settlement Checking Service will check everything first, making sure that your documents are complete and not missing anything before the day of your application, it may be by postal or by the public enquiry office (one day service).
    Again, massive thank you for sharing your expertise. Wish me luck on my Liuk exam. I'm planning on taking it next month and we will also start gathering the requirements ... Sigh stress again

Again, massive thank you for sharing your expertise. Wish me luck on my Liuk exam. I'm planning on taking it next month and we will also start gathering the requirements ... Sigh stress again
    ... good luck with the Test, Anna ... don't allow your new "braces" to "hold up" preparations for your ILR!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... good luck with the Test, Anna ... don't allow your new "braces" to "hold up" preparations for your ILR!
    No I won't. It doesn't hurt anymore so I should be able to study.

Thank you

Thread Information