Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Post Change of passport name after marriage?

Did anybody change their passport name to their spouse's surname after marriage in the UK and before applying for their FLR(M)?

Ideally, applying for the e-passport at the same time.

My concern is that the new passport would not contain the current (fiancée) visa when applying for the FLR(M).

I'm sure many people have also faced the same dilemma.

Hi Jasper999, hope you don't mind that I moved your posting about passport name change.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    I don't think you have enough time to apply and wait for a new passport with the married name in it. It takes 6-8 weeks before you receive the epassport, I myself am waiting for my new passport.

By the time your arrive in the UK, prepare for wedding etc, there will be no time for you to apply for an e-passport then FLR(M), IMO.

You need to lodge your FLR(M) application before the 6 months visa expires.

You can still change to your married name after they grant you your leave to remain.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper999 View Post
    Did anybody change their passport name to their spouse's surname after marriage in the UK and before applying for their FLR(M)?.....
    Some folks have ...but most don't.
    As melovesengland says, timing is key. There's absolutely no pressing reason to change the name in the passport. Better to minimise risks by waiting a while and focus on getting married and submitting the application for FLR(M).
    It really doesn't prevent your wife from using her married name in all her day-day affairs such as bills, banking etc.

Most folks don't renew passports until they need to.

.My concern is that the new passport would not contain the current (fiancée) visa when applying for the FLR(M).
    Doesn't make any difference.

Form FLR(M) asks for details of both current passport and previous passports.
    Also for the name on the current passport and for other names that you have been known by.
    Home office records will link with this or with any previous HO reference number.

I'd suggest keeping things as simple and risk free as possible

Thanks for moving the post and for your answers.

That makes sense and I will follow that advice.

Currently, Jen has one of the MRP Maroon passports, which as I understand it, will no longer be valid after October 2015. So we will just exchange the old passport for an e-passport, next year, after securing the FLR(M) visa.

Would you suggest using the married or maiden name for the purpose of registering with the council, utility companies , and applying for the FLR(M) ? Or doesn't it make much difference since the marriage certificate will also accompany the visa application?

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    Just use the name on her passport. You can then put her name down on the bills, council tax etc after she get granted with her FLR M. Just keep it all simple for now, you can do all of the change name thingy when she has her visa extension granted.

After receiving her BRP and other document that you have sent out for the FLR M application, you can then visit the embassy with your wife to renew her passport.

Thanks for moving the post and for your answers.

That makes sense and I will follow that advice.

Currently, Jen has one of the MRP Maroon passports, which as I understand it, will no longer be valid after October 2015. So we will just exchange the old passport for an e-passport, next year, after securing the FLR(M) visa.

Would you suggest using the married or maiden name for the purpose of registering with the council, utility companies , and applying for the FLR(M) ? Or doesn't it make much difference since the marriage certificate will also accompany the visa application?
    When is her passport gonna expire? (that MRP maroon you are talking about) I have the same one but the validity of the passport is until 2016.

I used my married name straight away after the marriage in council/utility/TV license registration. When I applied for FLR(M) all the documents addressed to me that I submitted were in my married name. I even used my married name in filling the application form except in one section that needing my details that appears in my passport (still in my maiden name until now).

I did not bother to change my name on my passport after my FLR(M) as it is still valid until 2016...but I will soon before I will apply for my citizenship next year.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmaejon View Post
    When is her passport gonna expire? (that MRP maroon you are talking about) I have the same one but the validity of the passport is until 2016.

I used my married name straight away after the marriage in council/utility/TV license registration. When I applied for FLR(M) all the documents addressed to me that I submitted were in my married name. I even used my married name in filling the application form except in one section that needing my details that appears in my passport (still in my maiden name until now).

I did not bother to change my name on my passport after my FLR(M) as it is still valid until 2016...but I will soon before I will apply for my citizenship next year.

Sorry, her passport is the e-passport, issued in 2012.

I like the idea of using the married name for the utility companies etc and just leaving the passport as is for the time being.

Many Thanks

I like the idea of using the married name for the utility companies etc and just leaving the passport as is for the time being.

Many Thanks

Sorry, her passport is the e-passport, issued in 2012.

Many Thanks
    As you rightly said, the marriage certificate is the official link between maiden name and married name.

When my wife began using her married surname (mine) she then used her maiden name as her new middle name.....seems lots of others do that also.....It's a nice idea

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    As you rightly said, the marriage certificate is the official link between maiden name and married name.

When my wife began using her married surname (mine) she then used her maiden name as her new middle name.....seems lots of others do that also.....It's a nice idea
    Yes, that is a nice idea, I will put it to Jen.

Thank you

Thread Information