Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Alien seniors should get discounts too

MANILA, Philippines–Living in the Philippines should be more fun for the elderly, regardless of their nationality.

Lawmakers are pushing for the approval of a recently filed bill that would allow elderly foreigners residing in the country to enjoy the same senior-citizen perks as their Filipino counterparts.

Under the Philippines’ Expanded Senior Citizens Act, resident Filipinos 60 years old and over get a 20-percent discount and exemption from the value-added tax for various goods and services, including the purchase of medicines, doctors’ and health care service fees, medical and dental services, public transportation fares, hotel services, funeral and burial services, and admission fees to the theater, cinemas and concerts.

They could also get employment, education and health assistance from the government. Commercial and government establishments are also required to provide express lanes for senior citizens.

Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez and Abante Mindanao Rep. Maximo Rodriguez Jr. said the elderly foreigners residing in the Philippines “[have] been overlooked, even if their contributions have been just as relevant and considerable.”

They noted that these foreigners come to the Philippines to put up businesses or settle here as retirees or immigrants.

“During their stay, they bring in considerable investments, patronize local businesses, contribute to the local economy, and in some cases take a role in nation-building,” they said.
    By taking up permanent residence in the Philippines, they become as much a part of the public as Filipino citizens, they added.

Because of this, these foreigners deserve consideration and similar treatment in their older years, the lawmakers said.

Under their bill, elderly foreigners could avail themselves of the senior citizen perks in the country by presenting either an ID card issued by the Office of Senior Citizens Affairs in the place where they reside; a Philippine Retirement Authority identification card; an Alien Certificate of Registration I-Card; and other documents that establish that the resident alien is at least 60 years old and a Philippine resident.

This has been on the cards for a couple of years. Every, so often I meet up with some older British chaps and they already get some discount in certain stores. Not sure how much though.

Wonder if they will issue 'free jeepney passes'

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post

Wonder if they will issue 'free jeepney passes'
    ... sounds good to me as an OAP, Jake!

That would be good news to me, it would make a big difference to my injections and medicines costs.

Only thing I get at the moment is priority to be served sometimes when going to pay the water bill, but that depends on the security guard

Trusted Member
    Of interest to all of us old gits.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Of interest to all of us old gits.
    , Graham ... very much so!

As Jake mentions this concept has been tossed around for some years now.
    Such laws bringing benefits to foreigners are not subject to any priority......but lets all hope for the best.
    Some of the benefits on offer are very good:-

(20%) discount from all establishments relative to the utilization of services in hotels and similar lodging establishment, restaurants and recreation centers, and purchase of medicines in all establishments
    (20%) discount on admission fees charged by theaters, cinema houses and concert halls, circuses, carnivals, and other similar places of culture, leisure and amusement
    Free medical and dental service, diagnostic and laboratory fees such as, but not limited to, x-rays, computerized tomography scans and blood tests, in all government facilities
    discount on medical and dental services, and diagnostic and laboratory fees provided under Section 4 (e), including professional fees of attending doctors in all private hospitals and medical facilities
    (20%) discount in fare for domestic air and sea travel
    (20%) discount in public railways, skyways and bus fare

Here's one I prepared earlier (8th April 2012)
    Senior Citizen Benefits in Philippines

Over two years already

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I used to get discount on Ferries and Buses, but never given it a thought this past four years or so, completely forgot to ask!

I know older foreign guys that have been given these senior id cards by the barangay/municipal..
    What many of them dont realize is that if they use them and are reported,they are liable to be deported!

Thread Information