Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Where to live?

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Where to live?

Hello, it's me again.

I got an offer to work in a hospital in Brixton.

The MAJOR problem is, where to live.

I have no connections in the UK let alone London. So to prevent myself from living on the streets, I need to plan ahead.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on where cheap accommodations are available, access to transport, and travel time if possible.

I appreciate highly what you have to say, so please, advise me.

Regards,
    vohn

You're probably best off trying to find a room to rent until you get your feet on the ground, maybe even share a house with another filipino to help you out while you settle in.

I'm sure there will be some Filipino nurses at the hospital where you will be working and they might have a room or know someone with a room to rent, but you'll need somewhere to stay first

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds...-filipino.html

But I think this is about 30min-45mins away from Brixton. Also, be very wary of sending money to anyone and also of any websites there are scammers out there
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Hi Vohn

It might be worth contacting these people & asking if they can put you in touch with any Filipino hospital staff groups in South London

The Philippine Nurses Association of United Kingdom http://pnauk.org.uk/

I also found these :-

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...80790992022194

Some distance away Kingston Filipino British Community http://kfbc.org.uk/

http://philippinecentre.com/

What type of job did you get? Is it genuine? Not sure if Brixton would be the ideal place to live - just my opinion. I,ts a bit rough last time I was there - couldn,t wait to get out of the place lol

Trusted Member
    Do you like Reggae music ?

Accommodation is incredibly expensive in London.

Does the hospital have a ' Nurses' Home' ?

Other than that, I think sharing with other Filipinos will be your best and happiest option.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The location of the hospital is here.

https://maps.google.com.ph/maps?ie=U...d=0CJwBEPwSMAo

From what I've read, there's a month of accommodation provided by the hospital but after that we live out. I understand living in London costs an arm and a leg, even my kidneys, so I figured, any area within the transport system (tube, overground, bus) would do. I'm wondering which Borough would be ideal.

I'm set to be deployed somewhere between October and November, so having these kinds of planning ahead might save me from literally living in the streets.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    King's College Hospital, their A&E department is the one on Channel 4's 24 Hours in A&E.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    The hospital is actually in Camberwell, in the London Borough of Southwark.

Bon. Just a thought from way back in my mind. A couple or so years ago, there was a jobs offer scam being operated from an address in Brixton High Street. I guess you have taken care to ensure your offer is genuine ?

If you have any doubts I will do what I can to help you make enquiries, if you let me have some details.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    The hospital is actually in Camberwell, in the London Borough of Southwark.

Bon. Just a thought from way back in my mind. A couple or so years ago, there was a jobs offer scam being operated from an address in Brixton High Street. I guess you have taken care to ensure your offer is genuine ?

If you have any doubts I will do what I can to help you make enquiries, if you let me have some details.
    Thanks John

I did some background checks on the recruitment agency and turns out, they're legit. They're pretty clean. I also asked people whom they've sent a year ago and feedback's quite good.

Also, if ever they plan to screw me, I got their names and addresses and would raise hell if I'm to be screwed over.

Quote Originally Posted by BonAndrey View Post
    Thanks John

I did some background checks on the recruitment agency and turns out, they're legit. They're pretty clean. I also asked people whom they've sent a year ago and feedback's quite good.

Also, if ever they plan to screw me, I got their names and addresses and would raise hell if I'm to be screwed over.
    John is right to be concerned - as from what I understand, there is a freeze on overseas recruitment of nurses in the UK at the moment. So I would contact Human Resources at the hospital concerned and get the correct information from the horse,s mouth. Tell them who you have been in contact with etc - its a long way to go to be stopped at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    John is right to be concerned - as from what I understand, there is a freeze on overseas recruitment of nurses in the UK at the moment. So I would contact Human Resources at the hospital concerned and get the correct information from the horse,s mouth. Tell them who you have been in contact with etc - its a long way to go to be stopped at the airport.
    Some Trusts are recruiting nurses from the phils (I've posted about them) but tiger31 is right, contact the HR department and check you've a job!

Have you got your passport with your visa in it yet?
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Bon,

I hope everything is OK but saying "In Brixton" is 'suspicious' as I said Kings College Hospital is in Camberwell (Southwark). It's not that far from Brixton but it's not in Brixton and it is also in a different borough from Brixton (that is in Lambeth). No one connected with the hospital would make that mistake. So do please check carefully.

Respected Member
    Joe But I think this is about 30min-45mins away from Brixton

Just in passing. Brixton and Camberwell are adjoining. I was born in Camberwell, brought up in Brixton, 50 yards from the boundary with Camberwell where I went to school, 15 minutes walk from KCH

Banned
    I reckon Vohns got it sussed out and isn't falling for any scams see previous thread

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/52390-Greetings!

Bon,

I hope everything is OK but saying "In Brixton" is 'suspicious' as I said Kings College Hospital is in Camberwell (Southwark). It's not that far from Brixton but it's not in Brixton and it is also in a different borough from Brixton (that is in Lambeth). No one connected with the hospital would make that mistake. So do please check carefully.
    No prob.

It's my mistake really, I got a quick peek at Google maps and Brixton was the first location that popped into my mind.

I'm weak at geography.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Some Trusts are recruiting nurses from the phils (I've posted about them) but tiger31 is right, contact the HR department and check you've a job!

Have you got your passport with your visa in it yet?
    We're in the process of securing the visas at the moment. Probably by the end of the month we'll be scheduled with the vfc. We were also handed out job offers signed by the HR guy from KCH. All facts in place, thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I reckon Vohns got it sussed out and isn't falling for any scams see previous thread

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/52390-Greetings!
    ... but best to be cautious!

I'd be asking your fellow nurses in the first instance, and then your next option would be looking here:-

https://www.spareroom.co.uk

Good luck

Respected Member
    Bon "It's my mistake really, I got a quick peek at Google maps and Brixton was the first location that popped into my mind.

I'm weak at geography
    ".

OK

By the way, Manila has an area of 38 KM, London has 1,500 KM. It has 400 km of underground railway with 270 stations. There is another 86 KM of overland rail line with another 85 stations.

Don't get lost there !!!!!

Banned

By the way, Manila has an area of 38 KM, London has 1,500 KM. It has 400 km of underground railway with 270 stations. There is another 86 KM of overland rail line with another 85 stations.

Interesting comparison - thanks

Brixtons a bit pricey rent wise. I rent my mums place out at £300 PW and I'm a bit cheap on that but they're good tenants so I leave them be.
    I would suggest making connections with Pinnoys in the area as they tend to know friends who are looking to sublet rooms.
    KCH is not really serviced by the tube so it would be better to be looking somewhere reasonably close but definitely avoid Peckham it should have been bombed years ago.

Bon "It's my mistake really, I got a quick peek at Google maps and Brixton was the first location that popped into my mind.

I'm weak at geography
    ".

OK

And here I thought London is just a larger version of NCR.

I'm learning a lot from you guys btw.

Thread Information