Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

How things can change so quickly

WOW how things can change so quickly.

My 3 daughters and their children have planned a holiday this year and fly out this Sunday to Sharm. Its going to be the first holiday abroad for one of them with her son too.

But I got a phone call last night her son who is 4 this year has got chicken pox. You can imagine how she feels. The little lad has no idea - its just another adventure for him.

She went to the walk in center last night and the doctor said as a doctor he would recommend not travelling, but as a father with kids he understands what she is going through.

Hes a happy chap and always chatting so you dont expect anything like this is going to happen, but with just 1 day before the flight what does she do?

There is no quick fix here I think.

I cant say dont go and I cant say do go either.

I am going to check the insurance policy when I see her and maybe she may get something back. She would rather go on on holiday though.

Banned
    I caught chickenpox from a young child--I was then 33--she was about 4. She had one pox--within a week. I was in agony--covered from head to foot in those big blisters. I couldn't sleep for a couple of days.

I lost a lot of my hair--and still have pox marks to this day.

I can't begin to imagine how contagious that disease could be in an aeroplane--maybe our resident doctor could advise.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about this Steve, I'm not sure but I think when the spots start to show the contamination danger is over. I think Doc Alan will tell us soon!

A tough one boys, the right thing is not to go

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    A tough one boys, the right thing is not to go
    I wonder how they stand with their insurance --if they do go?

All I can say is--I couldn't have gone ANYWHERE for 2 weeks when I had it--yet alone on a foreign holiday. The only relief was lying in a cold bath. I know it's a lot worse for adults. I cant imagine what the holiday operator would say if there was an outbreak.

Trusted Member
    I’m sure we all sympathise Steve, especially as you are also going on holiday – to Spain – tomorrow. I hope all is now well with you.

Many children have chickenpox at some stage, and full recovery is usual about a week after developing symptoms. It usually takes 10 – 14 days to develop symptoms after catching the virus.

The problems with your grandson are two-fold.

• Firstly he’s not going to feel well ( fever, aches and pains, cough, and of course the rash appearing as crops of spots ) for a few days. There’s a slight chance of more serious complications.

• Secondly, he’s very infectious to others. This is from around two days before the rash appears until all the spots have crusted over ( about five days usually ). They should keep away from at-risk people, including pregnant women and healthy adults who may not have had chickenpox in the past. People with chickenpox are advised not to travel by air until about six days after the last spot has appeared.

I’m sorry Steve, as you know I’m not a GP and of course your daughter’s / grandson’s doctor would need to write a letter confirming the diagnosis and advice not to travel, so it’s covered by insurance. However, from what you’ve told us it seems they should NOT travel to Sharm el-Sheikh this time .

Your time is limited because of your own travel plans, but this one link is as good as any :-

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/chic...ldren-under-12

Best wishes for your own trip !

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Thanks for that Alan I wasn't sure. Sorry they can't travel Steve, but better safe than sorry, hope they can change the date or something without to much cost and inconvenience, also you and Em have a lovely time and don't forget the camera!

Thanks all and to Alan who explains everything very well for us all.

The little man is just a happy chap, his face has got spots on it now but he is full of beans so far.

His mum is back to the doctors on Monday to try and get a note saying he is unfit to travel and lets hope the insurance will sort something out.

She went into the travel agents to tell them the problem and the cheeky buggers said if you cancel the holiday now you will have to pay £700 even though its all been paid for. They were going all inclusive so why do they want an extra £700? I wish I was there. Now if she does not tell them anything and just does not show up, its a different matter, its classed as a no show. I wonder if that affects the insurance?

Again, thanks for your thoughts. Yes, a sad time for my daughter and grandson, but happy times for everyone else.

This forum has so many positives......one of them being the opportunity for such a broad base of opinion and experience with no strings......a rare thing IMHO and an advantage over other forms of media communication.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    ... the cheeky buggers said if you cancel the holiday now you will have to pay £700 even though its all been paid for
    That's not fair! Are they allowed to do that? I still haven't completely grasped what's considered cheek and what's just thievery, I guess.

Thread Information