Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Post Devastation at Tondo Dump Site, Manila

I sponsor the education of a child living at the above dumpsite and have received just received a very disturbing email from the British based charity, PCF:

"Over the last few days PCF’s children and families have suffered another disaster which has left many in dire crisis. The owner of the dump site together with the support of the Government has authorised the eviction of all the residents and charities on the dump site. The area is home to over 15,000 people, making approximately 3,000 families homeless. There are plans to relocate 150 families from the Navotas cemetery site as well.

PCF legal team is talking with the government as clear relocation plans have not yet been established. Some families have been offered an alternative area to live which is 4 hours away from the school (built at the site by PCF) but families will need to build their own homes.

PCF’s social workers are doing their best to support all of their children and their families by helping rebuild their homes or find them alternative accommodation. Their health and nutrition team have started providing meals because families have gone without food for several days now as they are unable to work/ scavenge on the dumpsite.

The scale of this problem is way beyond the charity’s resources and they are asking for donations to help them meet their needs. A contribution of £250 will help provide food and shelter for a family and they are asking for people to contribute whatever they can so that they can help as many families as possible.

PCF is committed to help relocate and find an alternative livelihood for as many families as they can and ensure that the students continue their studies with as little disruption as possible."

I am waiting to hear whether my sponsor child’s home has or is waiting to be demolished. There are probably others on this forum that are also sponsors. The families must be beside themselves with worry.
    Regular updates will be shown on the charity’s Facebook page www.facebook.com/pcf.uk

Quotes from families at the dumpsite provided by PCF:-

Cagayan Family
    Marilyn one of PCFs grade 4 students has lived on the dump site for 11 years with Felix her father and six siblings. Felix’s only means of providing a meal a day for his children is to work as a scavenger on the dump site. He said “Our house is untagged so we are not qualified to be relocated and I have no means of providing for my children, I dont know where we will live or how we shall eat”

Velloria Family
    Edmar has been looking forward to starting in year 8 in our secondary school, and Edna his sister was about to start grade 2 . Their house was one of the first to be demolished, they are now camping out in our clinic on the dump site until we can find a safer place for them to live. Edmar said “Thanks for the big support, we know that God can’t forsake us and we just need a faith. I hope we will have a permanent house because it is so difficult for us especially that we are studying not to have a home”

I pray that something can be done to help these poor people ..............

Respected Member
    Very sad, I have been and visited the school and site and like yourself donate regularly to the charity.

The whole situation is heart breaking.

Yes, it's a terribly sad and distressing scenario that's all too common in many parts of Manila.

Shame on the authorities for continuing to implement such ill considered an wretched activities on folks who have settled there. Some for many years

We have a personal friend living there.
    Mother and daughter abandoned unsupported by the useless British husband .....another story.

A very difficult subject and situation to comment on.. Fundamentally,these problems originate from many decades of Spanish domination and therefore the Catholic church which have obviously led to unsustainable population levels that cannot be dealt with anymore in a civilized manner..
    The R.P as a developing nation can only deal with these issues in a secretive way (to save face)with the help of outside charity..
    Even with the passing of the RH bill,I cannot see any real difference in real terms being realized for at the very least another 20 years.
    What I do think is that good people like Rosie and the many others that are helping the poor through these difficult times right now will eventually make a huge difference to their lives some day in the future..
    Well done!!

Trusted Member
    It is, as Fred says, a very difficult subject and situation.

I would like, however, to put on record my sincere admiration for Rosie, Ricky, Terpe and I'm sure other Forum members, for your support in helping these people who are so much less fortunate than ourselves

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    It is, as Fred says, a very difficult subject and situation.

I would like, however, to put on record my sincere admiration for Rosie, Ricky, Terpe and I'm sure other Forum members, for your support in helping these people who are so much less fortunate than ourselves
    Seconded

Thread Information