Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Outcome of my call about TOEIC test

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know the outcome of my call about the new rules regarding the TOEIC test.

Let me firstly say that the lady I spoke to was SO helpful! She went out of her way to help me find all the info I needed (unlike my last 2 calls to other numbers).

She explained to me that because we are now applying in the UK (for our spousal visa) my wife will need to take another English exam as the TOEIC test has now been suspended. She did say that we could still apply using the TOEIC test BUT our application would be put on hold which is really no good at all.

The kind lady also gave us a bit of advice, she explained that maybe the best thing to do was to take the A1 test (which is the minimum requirement for spousal visa) rather than taking the B1 test which is a more difficult test, then when we are ready to apply for ILR in 2 1/2 years she will then take the B1 test and be more prepared.

We are now filling in the online form to book the A1 test but we are confused about which surname my wife should now use, It says to enter her name as appears on the ID she will bring to the test but will this cause a problem at the visa application stage as we are now married and my wife has taken my surname? Can she enter her married name and take along her marriage certificate maybe? I just dont want this to cause a problem for us later down the line.

Hope this helps and hope someone can clarify my question. Thank you.

Regards
    Drew.

Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar
    Which document will she take to the test? BRP or Passport? Does one of those have her married name on it?

Whatever the case, I believe when you then submit future ILR etc. visa applications you will have all the evidence to show her maiden and married surnames and the person processing the documents will see and understand this, it won't be an issue. In my case, when I took the IELTS I used my maiden name, but now my BRP/passport and other documents are in my married name. When I submit my ILR application later this year I will have a similar 'mix' of surnames.

I'm sure someone else will be along to clarify, but this is my understanding.
    Don't just try, DO IT!

Personally I would suggest you use your passport as ID
    Best practice is to keep things as simple as possible.
    When you apply for the FLR(M) you'll need to enter your name as it appears in your passport anyway.

Your marriage certificate is your 'audit trail' document from maiden name to married name.

In England you are quite free to use whatever name. UKVI will always want to reference the name on your passport.

Many folks don't update their passport to married name until it's time for renewal. No problems at all.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Drewturner View Post
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know the outcome of my call about the new rules regarding the TOEIC test.

Let me firstly say that the lady I spoke to was SO helpful! She went out of her way to help me find all the info I needed (unlike my last 2 calls to other numbers).

She explained to me that because we are now applying in the UK (for our spousal visa) my wife will need to take another English exam as the TOEIC test has now been suspended. She did say that we could still apply using the TOEIC test BUT our application would be put on hold which is really no good at all.

The kind lady also gave us a bit of advice, she explained that maybe the best thing to do was to take the A1 test (which is the minimum requirement for spousal visa) rather than taking the B1 test which is a more difficult test, then when we are ready to apply for ILR in 2 1/2 years she will then take the B1 test and be more prepared.

We are now filling in the online form to book the A1 test but we are confused about which surname my wife should now use, It says to enter her name as appears on the ID she will bring to the test but will this cause a problem at the visa application stage as we are now married and my wife has taken my surname? Can she enter her married name and take along her marriage certificate maybe? I just dont want this to cause a problem for us later down the line.

Hope this helps and hope someone can clarify my question. Thank you.

Regards
    Drew.
    hi, drew.....have you been informed by the UKVI that's its on hold and you need to do another English test??

will

Quote Originally Posted by will1927 View Post
    hi, drew.....have you been informed by the UKVI that's its on hold and you need to do another English test??

will
    TOEIC has been suspended so they advised my husband that I need to do another test. I will take A1 today for FLR (m) that's the easiest test lol, we needed it as we don't have enough time for another test if I won't pass B1.

Lay

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Personally I would suggest you use your passport as ID
    Best practice is to keep things as simple as possible.
    When you apply for the FLR(M) you'll need to enter your name as it appears in your passport anyway.

Your marriage certificate is your 'audit trail' document from maiden name to married name.

In England you are quite free to use whatever name. UKVI will always want to reference the name on your passport.

Many folks don't update their passport to married name until it's time for renewal. No problems at all.

Good luck
    Thanks Sir

Thread Information