Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar

Thumbs up U.S. Visa Approved

Hi everyone. I am delighted to have my US visa approved, with multiple entry and valid for 10 years for both tourism and business purposes. In the interest of others who are thinking to apply for US B1/B2 visas, I am posting my experience.

Please follow the link for the online application.

Before starting, please make sure the following items are made available:

1. Scanned copy of your photo ID (photo requirements ).

2. Parents details – Birth dates.

3. Hotel accommodation details – You don’t need a confirmed booking, just provide name and address of your prospect hotel.

4. Relative details, a friend or anybody you know in the US – Full name, complete address, and telephone number.

5. Detail of the nearest DX in your place. Courier services are free of charge if you choose to have your documents returned to one of the DX collection points. Otherwise, delivery is available at a cost of $30 (£19) per application if you want special.

The application fee is $160 or £100 payable by card, cash not accepted.

The embassy does not accept walk-in application. You are required to schedule an appointment for an interview. The appointment waiting time is 2-3 weeks.

Once online application is completed, you will receive 4 e-mails.

Attachment: CEAC Confirmation (Personal Reference Number) – DS 160

2. New User Account

3. Confirmation of Successful Payment

Visa Application Appointment Confirmation

If you wish to change your application details or interview date, information needed is included in the New User Account.

You need to print DS 160 and Appointment Confirmation so make sure your laptop is connected to a printer.

I prepared the following as supporting documents:

· Old and New Passports (Mine + Hubby)

· Original copy of the marriage contract

· BRP

· 3 months payslip and bank statement (Mine + Hubby)

· Savings

· Council Tax

· Travel Insurance (covering US)

For further details, click here for the documents required in support of a B1/B2 visa application.

On the day of the interview I arrived 30 minutes early. A young lady has checked my documents and asked me to take away DS-160 and Appointment Confirmation. She then confirmed my appointment and noted my papers. Even I have a scheduled appointment, Trefor and I were standing outside for 30 minutes as the queue was big. When my turn came, the security reviewed my papers, placed my bag for screening then I went through body scanning. Btw, only applicants with appointment will be admitted into the Embassy. Therefore, Trefor spent his time in the café while I was inside.

In the reception area 3 employees were waiting. Again they checked my documents, confirmed my appointment, posted a sticker on the DS-160 and issued a number. When I got inside I immediately saw a large number of people waiting for their number to be called. 25 windows were in use to serve applicants, windows 1-11 for document admission and windows 12-25 for the interview. The system is a bit strange as you need to watch the monitor carefully since the number appears to be called in random. I waited another 30 minutes to hand in documents before my finger prints were electronically scanned. After handing in my docs, I waited another 30 minutes for my interview. The young American guy just asked me one question – What is the purpose of your travel. Then he immediately confirmed my visa is approved!

After 2 days I received an email from the embassy to inform my passport is ready for collection. I picked my passport at the DX office near us.

Trefor and I are travelling to the US in June. I will post photos
    Don't just try, DO IT!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I applied for the same visa last year when we had our holiday to Manila (we didn't want to go to London just for that ). I waited for 3 hours in the queue to be interviewed (TOO MANY applicants even if there are plenty of consuls doing the interview)! When it was my turn, the interview took only 5 mins! The consul just asked me how long I've been living in the UK, and if I ever used my L1 visa (US work visa) that was sponsored by my previous company. Then just like that, approved! The consul didn't even ask me to show him my documents, just the application form that needed to be submitted.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    When it was my turn, the interview took only 5 mins!
    I agree with you Rayna, it was a long waiting time - 90 minutes in my case and 15 seconds or less for the interview and I still find it bizarre.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, short interview with positive outcome is the best!

Respected Member
    Hi,
    Do we need us visa even if we got British Passport to have a holiday in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by jane2009 View Post
    Hi,
    Do we need us visa even if we got british passport to have a holiday in the USA?
    No, but you need to fill out the ESTA form after you have booked. Failure to do so can result in refusal of entry.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    No, but you need to fill out the ESTA form after you have booked. Failure to do so can result in refusal of entry.
    This.

An ESTA is valid for 2 years and is basically a pre-approved Visa Waiver. Previously European passport holders had to complete a Visa Waiver form and submit it on arrival in the US.

The 2 year limit is a pain as you need to remember when your last ESTA started (there is no paperwork unless you print out the app confirmation and fold it/keep it safe with your passport). Mine was last renewed in July 2013 ... perhaps I should get organised and put a note in my calendar.

Hi vernier calipier.
    Great info there on the US tourist visa.

Can I ask what visa you are currently on in the uk?
    My wife is currently on a spouse visa and has been living in the UK for 18 months. We hope to apply for a US tourist visa to attend a wedding next May in New York.
    I'm hoping that we can apply while my wife in on a spouse visa.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by resnic123 View Post
    Hi vernier calipier.
    Great info there on the US tourist visa.

Can I ask what visa you are currently on in the uk?
    My wife is currently on a spouse visa and has been living in the UK for 18 months. We hope to apply for a US tourist visa to attend a wedding next May in New York.
    I'm hoping that we can apply while my wife in on a spouse visa.

Thank you

YES, she can!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    It won't be long before the US rightly imposes very strict controls on all visitors from this country - who can blame them in view of the dangerous muslims we allow to live here and hand passports to

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    It won't be long before the US rightly imposes very strict controls on all visitors from this country - who can blame them in view of the dangerous muslims we allow to live here and hand passports to

Please don't make this thread political. The guy is asking a question about getting a visa, not about what you replied.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Banned
    Rayna - nothing political here I'm merely highlighting the fact that the US Government is concerned about who is travelling there from the UK regardless of passport, visa, residency status because they regard our controls and who we allow in as very, very slack.

Hence the recent clampdowns re charging up phones etc which do not apply to nations such as Australia, Philippines, Canada, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Rayna - nothing political here I'm merely highlighting the fact that the US Government is concerned about who is travelling there from the UK regardless of passport, visa, residency status because they regard our controls and who we allow in as very, very slack.

Hence the recent clampdowns re charging up phones etc which do not apply to nations such as Australia, Philippines, Canada, Japan
    But the guy is not asking about that right? He's asking whether his wife can apply a US visa while on UK spouse visa, as simple as that. Why don't you just create a specific thread about it if you can't answer the specific question the guy was asking. This thread is about how to get a US visa not about whether US is concerned about clampdowns from this country, etc. Those are two different things. Do not politicise a thread about getting info regarding applying for a visa. You've got the News section already for all those things.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Banned
    OK I'll post in Loose talk as I thought News was only for starting threads with a weblink to a media story - I heard about US Govt concerns in a radio broadcast

Thanks Raynaputi for your response.

Yeah I'm not being political here just asking a simple question.

Thread Information