Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

London black taxis plan congestion chaos to block Uber

Les are you supporting them ?

The Licensed Taxi Drivers Association complains that Uber's drivers are using a smartphone app to calculate fares despite it being illegal for private vehicles to be fitted with taximeters.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27317164
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

First time I've heard about this.......seems to be an almost global story.

Quite interesting really.

Well it's a difficult one as I'm not a London Taxi Driver!

In many parts of the country private hire vehicles are already fitted with a meter.

The difference in a Taxi (hackney carriage) and a PHP (private hire vehicle) is simple.

I can pick anyone up freely within my licensed area,or out of that area if booked over the phone.

A PHP can only get jobs rang in to the office and sent to him.
    They need a meter so as to charge the correct price so no problem with that.

My advantage is 3 fold - I can sit on the rank and get work, be 'flagged' down and also receive work off my phone, of which is about 60% of my work

So we have had the meter in PHP for years and I have no objection to it.

What DOES drive me nuts is PVH illigally picking up on street which they do. I have caught a few and reported them

Remember if you jump in a PHP he is not insured to take you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    And could be an illegal immigrant/failed "asylum seeker" with a death trap unroadworthy vehicle

Worse than that if you are a woman - he could be a potential rapist - someone who just stuck a sign on his car and preys on drunk women

Banned
    Worse than that if you are a woman - he could be a potential rapist - someone who just stuck a sign on his car and preys on drunk women
    Exactly and they're all over the country as part of "the community" grooming teenage girls etc

You're not a London tube driver, but you had an opinion on them striking
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Yes, because the strike was unnecessary and typical union bullying - I stand by it

Respected Member
    Yes, because the strike was unnecessary and typical union bullying - I stand by it
    Nice to see you standing beside your co workers in London

As Murdoch and the rest of the right wing gutter press has brainwashed nearly the entire nation

anyone who even thinks about going on strike must be worse than satan (yawn)

I bet if you worked in a London Underground Ticket Office you would not be against it !

Nice to see you standing beside your co workers in London
    They are not my co-workers,I don't live there!

I have explained how it is different up north,and the difference between how the authorities run the licencing.

I ain't brainwashed, I have lived through strikes and seen the effect, the brainwashed ones are the daft buggers who follow tossers who organise the strikes.

Union leaders who say they are one of the lads whilst doing very well thank you

You don't have to be part of a union to force change.

I bet if you worked in a London Underground Ticket Office you would not be against it
    Not a job I would want to do, but we have to move on and from what I understand they were not losing their jobs - they were actually moving with the times.

Respected Member
    I know there are background checks, but they would not screen out potential rapists/nasty people, only those with a record of some kind. Thus the risk is not that different IMO.

Respected Member
    Can someone explain to me why this matters? Why can't they use a tool to calculate their fares?

In many parts of the country private hire vehicles are already fitted with a meter.

The difference in a Taxi (hackney carriage) and a PHP (private hire vehicle) is simple.

I can pick anyone up freely within my licensed area,or out of that area if booked over the phone.

My advantage is 3 fold - I can sit on the rank and get work, be 'flagged' down and also receive work off my phone, of which is about 60% of my work

What DOES drive me nuts is PVH illigally picking up on street which they do. I have caught a few and reported them

Spot on bro! I see Uber to be the biggest threat to taxi trade in years. Basically this system will allow you to work in not only your own city but other places as well. I can see it being abused in the long run, now that sat navs are here you don,t even need to know the city anymore. Taking 20 percent of each fare is rather a lot, that will make it more expensive than paying for a radio circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    Can someone explain to me why this matters? Why can't they use a tool to calculate their fares?
    I have not studied the Uber thing yet but will look at it.

The way I succeed in this job is simple.

Look after your customers, local knowledge, carry their bags in, don't moan if it's a short job, have a laugh with them, know when to be quiet, don't put the meter on if they late.

It's all about developing relationships, the other taxi drivers are smoking fags all day, don't clean their car etc - keep doing it while I get lots of repeat business :-)

Banned

Look after your customers, local knowledge, carry their bags in, don't moan if it's a short job, have a laugh with them, know when to be quiet, don't put the meter on if they late.

It's all about developing relationships, the other taxi drivers are smoking fags all day, don't clean their car etc - keep doing it while i get lots of repeat business :-)

I have to confess to that crime Les I used to pick up fares outside the night clubs when the hackneys were not around because the streets were overflowing with fares and the hackneys could,nt cope. When you,re pissed and waiting for a cab on a freezing night they don,t care if you,re a ph or a hackney they just want to get home Reporting them is one thing but trying to prove it is quite another lol. As I have driven ph and hackney I know where you,re coming from. If you ask me, there should be no different taxis, it should be one universal trade and all be treated the same. If you ask most people on the street what,s the difference between the 2 types of cabs most people don,t know - all they see and want is a cab to get home safe and sound. The hackney carriage laws go back to the 1800s and need to be brought up to date and overhauled.

I am diversifying slightly but the Union argument really gets up my nose.

Here is another reason I'm not a fan.

Let's say me and Dedworth decided to open a cake shop in the centre of London, selling Yorkshire curd tarts and Chelsea buns

We use our life savings and upon opening we are doing ok.

Next day, a tube strike is called and our trade dramatically suffers, then the Taxi drivers go on strike and again we lose money and we are forced to get out of the business and have lost our investment and have no job.

We can't join the taxi drivers or tube unions as they are unrelated.

Whatever union we can join are not going to bail us out.

So from the actions of the Unions calling the drivers out we now are broke - is that fair?

Meanwhile, the taxis and tubes are running again.

Will they compensate us or tell us to do one?

What I'm saying is this union stuff, if kept in house, I'm fine with - but when you affect other peoples living to benefit your own it's totally wrong.

Bullying and not caring about others are what many unions encapsule.

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    I bet if you worked in a London Underground Ticket Office

Is that an oxymoron

I remember my dad being on strike at British Steel in the 70,s. He did,nt want to but had to or face being called all sorts of names.

The short of it all was 12 weeks without pay and relying on food banks. And the workers were no better off.

I'm not against people being in a union - I'm against people using it to disrupt others to get what they want and stuff the rest of you.

Would not a better way for the taxi drivers to air their grievances be to withhold paying their fees to London Borough Council?

That might get public support, shafting everyone who works in the city will not get sympathy - as teachers are finding out

had to or face being called alsorts of names
    It's called bullying and intimidation

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    I have to confess to that crime Les I used to pick up fares outside the night clubs when the hackneys were not around because the streets were overflowing with fares and the hackneys could,nt cope. When you,re pissed and waiting for a cab on a freezing night they don,t care if you,re a ph or a hackney they just want to get home Reporting them is one thing but trying to prove it is quite another lol. As I have driven ph and hackney I know where you,re coming from. If you ask me, there should be no different taxis, it should be one universal trade and all be treated the same. If you ask most people on the street what,s the difference between the 2 types of cabs most people don,t know - all they see and want is a cab to get home safe and sound. The hackney carriage laws go back to the 1800s and need to be brought up to date and overhauled.
    Well there's a difference in London most London cabbies have done a few years hard graft to get their badge and bill and approach the job with a degree of professionalism, unlike the touts who cant be bothered to put the time in and buy a 10 year old motor don't bother with hire and reward and then go round stealing other peoples work. I'd rather freeze my knackers off than get in an illegal cab.

It's all about developing relationships, the other taxi drivers are smoking fags all day, don't clean their car etc - keep doing it while I get lots of repeat business :-)
    I suppose cash in hand doesn't come into it Les?

I was,nt driving an illegal cab I was driving my own licenced private hire .what I am saying is private hire should be scrapped and have only hackneys through out the whole country ,not saying it will stop the cowboys ,the only way for that to happen is to educate the public on what to check for before they get in a cab .but its very easy to forge documents these days and the penalties for getting caught is not good enough so it does not put off fraudsters.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    I suppose cash in hand doesn't come into it Les?
    Apart from some credit work, nearly everyone pays cash

By helping them it's about retaining their business and building up a good small company

Respected Member
    They are not my co-workers,I don't live there!
    I have explained how it is different up north,and the difference between how the authorities run the licencing.

I aint brainwashed,i have lived through strikes and seen the effect,the brainwashed ones are the daft buggers who follow tossers who organise the strikes.
    union leaders who say they are one of the lads whilst doing very well thank you

You don't have to be part of a union to force change.

Not a job i would want to do,but we have to move on and from what i understand they were not losing their jobs-they were actually moving with the times.
    Union leaders only do what their members want them to do

Strikes are voted on and legal

Moving with the times ok great so job security goes out the window

Shutting the ticket office at major stations is a backward step

Believe it or not sometime workers want to make a stand and go on strike not because they are bullied and harassed into it by union officials

We just roll over and take anything the management want or throw at us
    Oh dear Les thats hardly the Dunkirk spirit is it

Strikes are voted on and legal
    Check your history books and you will find plenty of strikes where they were not voted for but went ahead anyway-Miners strike being the most famous.
    Recent teachers strike again only a monrity voted for it but it went ahead anyway.

Shutting the ticket office at major stations is a backward step
    I would not disagree as a customer but the figures don't back that up.

So i wonder what happened to horse and cart manufactures then? should we have banned the motor car as they probably lost their jobs
    Bet I could come up with loads of jobs which are no longer here.
    We just roll over and take anything the management want or throw at us
    Typical union member statement! Bet these people were thankful when they gained employment.
    Now you want to bite the hand that feeds you

Brainwashed Les. Like London Manila is saying if the unions don't fight for us who will?. It's ok for you because you control your own salary so to speak.

This Union attitude still amazes me

Did these members apply for jobs or did their various industries coming begging cap in hand for them to come and work for them

Did they sign a contract saying they'd have a job for life and a 4% above inflation pay rise every year

Do they all know what the management are doing wrong and how their industry could be run much more efficiently

It's a democratic country. It's a choice whether you join a union or not. Of course there are people who believe the bosses should take all of the profit and workers should be on the poverty line. Mediaeval views in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information