Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: *FAO Terpe

*FAO Terpe

Peter ... I received the following PM from Han:

B1

Good Morning, this is Han from the Scottish Borders. I passed my Life in the UK Test last 27 March in Glasgow. And at this moment in time, I am confused about my English Test. I completely thought I can use my old Certificate. My Certificate says ETS TOEIC, Listening 400, Reading 315, Speaking 150.

However, after reading some threads, I am totally confused now. I will file my ILR this coming June. Please advise me what to do.

Thank you so much in advance.

Han

... but as I've never had occasion to be familiar with those blasted English Tests, I'm taking the liberty of passing it on to you to deal with in your usual expert manner. Hopefully you won't mind me doing so in these special circumstances.

Thanks.

I hope Han will be able to find this.....

The first thing to say is that (as usual) UKVI statements to date have lacked any meaningful clarity in terms of how it will impact those folks who hold English Language Test certificates issued by ETS and it's representatives.

Up to 5 April 2014 TOEIC certificates issued outside of UK remained acceptable to UKVI for submission of UK Visa Entry Clearance application.
    We are all still awaiting for clarification on the suspension of the licence of ETS on visa applications.
    Personally my best guess is that all visa applications already submitted up to April 17 will be accepted......but my best guess doesn't help. We just wait......
    We do know that TOIEC testing is no longer available (or valid) from 6 April 2014

About ILR / Naturalisation.......again it becomes a concern.....but possibly clearer than other circumstances......provided the B1 level was awarded outside of UK

Technically TOIEC remains on the UKVI approved listing and on the SELT list.
    Again technically any English Language Test at B1 level may still be submitted as evidence whether the certificate is expired or not.

Here's what UKVI state about that:-

.....Your qualification should cover speaking and listening at B1 CEFR level or above, and be on the attached list....
    and then:-

.....The expiry dates on that list do not apply to settlement or citizenship applications. If your test is on the attached list it will be acceptable....
    TOIEC still appears on the 'attached list'

Again, in my personal opinion, I don't see how UKVI could have grounds for refusal of ILR.
    Submission of a TOIEC whether expired or not expired STILL MEETS ALL REQUIREMENTS.

Han, the ILR application is too important to rely solely on my 'best guess'.
    I would strongly urge you to get urgent confirmation from UKVI that what I've outlined is correct and WILL be accepted by them.

Sir Thank you for your reply.,

I went panic, I am off today so spent the day contacting people, sending PM's etc.. to asked help. My husband told me to just book an IELTS exam, and that's what we did today. I am waiting for the confirmation, details about the time... I booked it online in British Council IELTS website and the nearest location is Basil Paterson College Edinburgh and it will be on the 17th of May, that's the earliest date that I can get.
    Now I have to start reviewing at home , I know I only have short span of time left. Hopefully everything will be OK, as you said ILR is very important. Thank you again for the time spent in reading my question.

Cheers,
    Han

Han ... I'm delighted to've been able to be of at least some assistance - however 'little' it was - and would like also to gracefully acknowledge receipt of the rep which is, of course, very much appreciated.

Peter ... I'm truly grateful for the help you've given Han on my behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Peter ... I'm truly grateful for the help you've given Han on my behalf.

No problem Arthur

Respected Member
    Han, Is that the £145 fee? I was looking at Trinity College at £125.

Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    Sir Thank you for your reply.,

I went panic, I am off today so spent the day contacting people, sending PM's etc.. to asked help. My husband told me to just book an IELTS exam, and that's what we did today. I am waiting for the confirmation, details about the time... I booked it online in British Council IELTS website and the nearest location is Basil Paterson College Edinburgh and it will be on the 17th of May, that's the earliest date that I can get.
    Now I have to start reviewing at home , I know I only have short span of time left. Hopefully everything will be OK, as you said ILR is very important. Thank you again for the time spent in reading my question.

Cheers,
    Han

Quote Originally Posted by ynwa View Post
    Han, Is that the £145 fee? I was looking at Trinity College at £125.

Hi Ynwa,
    I paid £135, I searched IELTS and this came up ielts BRITISH Council website. And the nearest school in my area is Basil Paterson College Edinburgh.
    Are you going to take it too for your Naturalization?

Tell me something, why is it our partners and wives etc are being made to go through this when there are lots of people in this country who can,t even speak English let alone write it?

Respected Member
    Yes Han, because I send my ILR before October 28. Just like you, I got B1 and my test provider is ETS TOEIC.

Hi Ynwa,

I paid £135, I searched IELTS and this came up ielts BRITISH Council website. And the nearest school in my area is Basil Paterson College Edinburgh.

Are you going to take it too for your Naturalization?

Respected Member
    I understand your sentiments Tiger. We Filipinas are lucky enough to have British Fiance/Husband/BF because there is a little worry on language test compared to other European countries whose first language is not English.

I know a friend who got a German Bf, the girl has to prove a German language certificate upon application. They both had hard times and get through it. And now they are married with a 4 months old girl.

East European countries who can't speak English needs to go through what we have been through.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    Tell me something, why is it our partners and wives etc are being made to go through this when there are lots of people in this country who can,t even speak english let alone write it?

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    Han, i think IELTS certificate will be issued to you if you passed the 4 components a month after you have taken the test. I heard you will lodge your ILR application in June, do you think you will have time still? Do not forget you have to lodge the application 28 days before your visa/brp expires.

Quote Originally Posted by melovesengland View Post
    Han, i think IELTS certificate will be issued to you if you passed the 4 components a month after you have taken the test. I heard you will lodge your ILR application in June, do you think you will have time still? Do not forget you have to lodge the application 28 days before your visa/brp expires.
    Hello Novie,
    I looked on the website and it says result will be given after 13 days. My FLR(M) will be valid until 3/7/14. So I am REALLY hopeful that I will pass the 4 components and get the result sooooon, the timings of lodging the ILR will not be an issue.
    I can apply ILR mid or end of June? please ......correct me if I'm wrong. THank you.

it says on the SET M guidance notes that "You and any children under 18 who are applying with you should apply before the end of your/their permitted stay in the UK when you are nearing completion of the 2-year qualifying period required by the Immigration Rules.
    Please do not apply more than 28 days before completing that period. If you apply earlier than that, your application may be refused. If that hap- pens, we will not refund the fee and you will have to pay again when reapplying." #5 on the link I provided https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...otes_04-14.pdf

I also had a look at the IELTS website and it says 13 days after the exam has been taken. It maybe because I took in in Davao that it took nearly a month for me to receive my certificate.

If your taking the test on the 17th then the cert will be with you around 1st of june. I stand to be corrected but I think you still qualify for ILR since its not yet 2 years since you receive your flr (m).

Can you clarify this Sir Peter?

Hoping it all works for you han. I will cross me fingers as well as toes for you.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Hello Novie,
    I looked on the website and it says result will be given after 13 days. My FLR(M) will be valid until 3/7/14. So I am REALLY hopeful that I will pass the 4 components and get the result sooooon, the timings of lodging the ILR will not be an issue.
    I can apply ILR mid or end of June? please ......correct me if I'm wrong. THank you.
    Hiya han,

Basically speaking you only need speaking and listening with a mark of at least 4.0 out of 9.0 to reach B1 level equivalent, the other 2 components are no interest to UKVI

Regarding your time frame Novie is right as to say you would have your results about June 1 also your current visa runs out on 3/7/14 so that is the latest date UKVI should receive your application for ILR, the earliest date would be 5/6/14 ie: maximum 28 days before current visa expires.

Hope that helps, good luck...

Novie and Marksroomspain Thanks for the replies....

I ordered an IELTS gen. training book w/ cd yesterday and waiting for it to arrive at this moment in time am just doing free Road to ielts practices online. Really trying to juggle things around, my 4 days work will start tomorrow and I agreed to have a 2 days O.T so on my next 4 days off defo will do some practices online. As time flies quickly, and I'm getting closer to 17th of May. No other option except to get 4.0
    This forum helps me a lot.... Thank you.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Novie and Marksroomspain Thanks for the replies....

I ordered an IELTS gen. training book w/ cd yesterday and waiting for it to arrive at this moment in time am just doing free Road to ielts practices online. Really trying to juggle things around, my 4 days work will start tomorrow and I agreed to have a 2 days O.T so on my next 4 days off defo will do some practices online. As time flies quickly, and I'm getting closer to 17th of May. No other option except to get 4.0
    This forum helps me a lot.... Thank you.
    Han don't worry too much but just practice, level 4 is pretty basic and certainy acheivable especialy as you have been in the UK for 2 years.

They say the average filipino can acheive a level of 5.5 with a bit of practice, my wife actually acheived 6.0 and 5.5 on listening and speaking when she applied for entry clearance 16 months ago and she said it was easier than she thought.

So you will be fine once again good luck, Mark...

Han, make sure that you get atleast 4 flat on four components for you to reach B1. page 18 of the link https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...uage_tests.pdf requires all components to be reached atleast 4 for b1. Im sure you will be fine, normally writing is just write an essay about the topic they give you and compose a letter about the topic they will give you as well. Reading is multiple choice, given or not given. Speaking is just general q's bout economy, nature and your life and you can say your opinion or can state a fact up to you as long as you keep talking. Listening is they will play some recording and as you listen you answer you sheet.
    You'll be fine! Im sure you will!!

Oh nooooo .. I haven't been here for ages and I just read this

I have same situation as Han. I'm confident enough as I thought I can use my old English test for my application but now no chance ..

I've got holiday from work as thought I can submit my application in June but guess change plans now as I need to search for the nearest test centres..

Anyone who can suggest nearest test centres in Middlesbrough?.

Much appreciated ... I've been searching and the nearest I can find so far is Newcastle or York. Or maybe there's more, but I just don't know if those places are near us .. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by mary_drew View Post
    Oh nooooo .. I haven't been here for ages and I just read this

I have same situation as Han. I'm confident enough as I thought I can use my old English test for my application but now no chance ..

I've got holiday from work as thought I can submit my application in June but guess change plans now as I need to search for the nearest test centres..

Anyone who can suggest nearest test centres in Middlesbrough?.

Much appreciated ... I've been searching and the nearest I can find so far is Newcastle or York. Or maybe there's more, but I just don't know if those places are near us .. Thanks so much!
    Hello Mary_Drew...
    I HOPE you found the nearest testing center already, and you are booked for your exam. What date in June are going to lodge your application? If you are taking an IELTS exam as you can see the above replies that the result will be given after 13 days.
    I took mine last saturday and I am now waiting for the result.

Good Luck....

Thank you Han.. Yea ive booked my english test in York on June 7. Thats the nearest place and date I can find. I can lodge my application until July as my visa will expire in Aug anyways. I just thought I will lodge in June as im here in uk for 2yrs (old rules)..
    Have you taken your speaking test on the same day or they scheduled it for another day?
    Good luck with the results. For sure you will pass

Hi All!
    Exactly 2 weeks now since I took IELTS exam and I got my results today
    L: 6.5, R: 6.0, W: 5.5 and S: 7.5
    Finally I got the last certificate I needed to complete the ILR requirements, just wanna say thank you for all your help.

Mary_Drew
    Sorry for the delayed response ha, I took the Listening, Reading and Writing in the morning no breaks and in the afternoon I took the Speaking test. Before we went on our breaks the invigilator gave us piece of paper that had a time sched. for speaking test.
    I wish you good luck on your test this coming 7 of June Mary_Drew.

Cheers,
    Han

Hi All!
    Exactly 2 weeks now since I took IELTS exam and I got my results today
    L: 6.5, R: 6.0, W: 5.5 and S: 7.5
    Finally I got the last certificate I needed to complete the ILR requirements, just wanna say thank you for all your help.
    That's a real great result han.....congrats and very well done.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Congratulations Han, great news!

Thread Information