Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Test!

English Test!

Hi all - I wonder if anyone can impart any wisdom on this one - we are about to submit our visa app and documents, very comprehensive application and confident re the documents etc - however I have somehow completely missed the requirement for her to complete an English test.

Firstly, is this 100% required? (her English is better than mine, met in BPO Industry and she has worked in managerial role in English for 10 years plus)

Secondly, I have never seen such ambiguous stuff online on where, when and how this test needs to be done, everything on the net seems to be conflicting and am on the point of tearing hair out.

Could anyone provide a definitive answer on here, of the quickest way of getting this box ticked on the application, with the least possible wait regardless of cost, and if necessary which places are accredited, so far I can only seem to get any sense from the British Council links and the wait times are going to cause me a big problem.

Much appreciated folks

James

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Yes, English test is required. Here is the approved list..

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...uage_tests.pdf

I took the IELTS when I applied my visa. The test result will be released after 13 days.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member blessed_ekim0826's Avatar
    How true is it that Hopkins is no more accepted in UKBA

Quote Originally Posted by mike_steve View Post
    How true is it that Hopkins is no more accepted in UKBA
    It's true.
    With effect from 5 April 2014
    That's for both TOEIC and TOEFL

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    It's true.
    I passed the UK Life test last 27th of March and now another English test to take since I got mine in Hopkins last 2012.

Never ending exams :-((
    "Love Knows no boundaries and no distance; miles and obstacles mean absolutely nothing in the face of Love"

Quote Originally Posted by joy_86jm View Post
    I passed the UK Life test last 27th of March ...
    ... congratulations & well done, Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by joy_86jm View Post
    ... and now another English test to take since I got mine in Hopkins last 2012.

Never ending exams :-((
    's unfortunate about Hopkins.

Mind you, being a teacher, you'll sail through the Listening and Speaking Tests with flying colours ... I'm confident of it.

Respected Member blessed_ekim0826's Avatar
    What about the current application that was lodged in February that has TOEIC exam?

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    It's true.

Hi Terpe,

As you all know, I took TOEIC from Hopkins last February and got B1. I submitted my online application March 21 and submitted my documents April 2. I know it is pretty obvious but I just want confirmation that my English test is still valid for my current Visa application?

And since it is for Fiancee visa, if my visa got approved and I am ready to apply for the next visa in UK, do I still need to take another English exam from other providers? even if I already got B1?

Respected Member cherrieclifford's Avatar
    It's true.
    OMG!!! i took the TOEIC exam last October 2013. This is the certificate that I submitted last Wednesday.. what shall I do??

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrieclifford View Post
    OMG!!! I took the TOEIC exam last October 2013. This is the certificate that i submitted last Wednesday.. what shall I do??
    Hi cherrieclifford and Jen,

According to the TOEIC website only applications made within the UK are affected.

Applications made for entry clearance ie: abroad have not been suspended and can still be used.

I am sure Peter will clarify this and I hope this puts your minds at rest...

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    And since it is for Fiancee visa, if my visa got approved and I am ready to apply for the next visa in UK, do I still need to take another English exam from other providers? even if I already got B1?

Like I have posted Jen it says TOEIC tests taken outside UK are not affected, I am sure you will receive further clarification on this...

This is the advisory from Hopkins' website (http://www.hopkins.ph/).
    ADVISORY:
    Please be advised that ETS' license to be an SELT has expired on April 5,2014. ETS has decided not to renew being an Official test provider for the UKBA for the TOEIC Program.
    Here's the link for ETS Global's official statement.

http://hopkins.ph/images//Pressrelea...ril%202014.pdf
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    Hi cherrieclifford and Jen,

According to the toeic website only applications made within the UK are affected.

Applications made for entry clearance ie: abroad have not been suspended and can still be used.

I am sure Peter will clarify this and I hope this puts your mind to rest...
    Thanks Sir Mark, it somehow put my mind at ease. Yes we will be waiting for Sir Peter's clarification.

Thanks a lot guys. Youve been a very great help to my kinda like rollercoaster visa application.

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    This is the advisory from Hopkins' website (http://www.hopkins.ph/).

Here's the link for ETS Global's official statement. http://hopkins.ph/images//Pressrelea...ril%202014.pdf
    Still hoping that my English exam will be safe since I took it last year, October 2013.

It's true.

I passed my Life in The UK Test in Glasgow, 27 March 2012. And I am not book for any English Test here in the UK at the moment because I thought my old one will be OK, My certificate says ETS TOEIC Listening 400, Reading 315, Speaking 150 I took this in Manila August 2011.

PLEASE - advise me, as I will be applying my ILR visa this coming June 3 2014. Thank you in advance. Han

Respected Member
    Oh no Mine too.

Awww... Bad news :( will take the IELTS then.. What is this IDP IELTS? Because I didn't see British council IELTS exam for June or July. Is IDP IELTS an approved English exam for fiance visa? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JenBoo View Post
    Awww... Bad news :( will take the IELTS then.. What is this IDP IELTS? Because I didn't see British council IELTS exam for June or July. Is IDP IELTS an approved English exam for fiance visa? Thanks
    Yes, IDP is one of the approved test providers. I took my IELTS exam through them.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Thanks! maybe I need review.. they said IELTS is difficult. Thanks for the info again

and by the way, which module should I take for fiance visa? General Traning or Academic? thanks so much!

General Training is the minimum requirement for a settlement visa.

If you are comfortable and confident enough in conversing in English, then the exam will be easy.

Just search in Google for free IELTS review materials, that will be very helpful. Give more importance on the Speaking and Listening review materials because those two are the ones required by UKVI.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Thanks! maybe I need review.. they said IELTS is difficult. Thanks for the info again
    Hello Jen, I took the IELTS exam a month ago here in England, and I tell you it can be difficult if one is not ready (especially the listening exam). Unless you want a band score of 7 or above, I'm not gonna suggest a review class because I think it can be done with a lot of practice online. Our sistah(s) from the forum suggested links (or better yet, google it ) You only need to have a band score of 4 in Speaking and listening. Don't worry about the writing and reading bit so much, just concentrate on the s and l.

General or Academic, it doesn't really matter. I think the only difference is the writing and reading part in academic is harder than the general module.

I know you can do it sis, go for it!

I'm a bit worried for writing and speaking, because the questions might be anything under the sun for writing. For speaking, hopefully I won't get nervous. So if my writing and reading didn't reach the 4.0 Score-it doesn't matter?

Many thanks for the encouragement and info. God bless!

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    Hello! I am still confused.

So again, I took my Hopking TOEIC here in the Philippines for my fiancee visa and submitted my application online and my documents before April 5 so it looks like mine is safe. So my question is, how about if my visa got approved and after I get married I will apply for FLR correct? Wont they accept my English certificate anymore? If ever my application got approved, I need to take English Test again?

..... So if my writing and reading didn't reach the 4.0 Score-it doesn't matter? ......
    Yes Jen that's correct

The structure of the IELTS test means you're required to sit all four elements.
    You do however meet the UKVI English Language requirement by securing a minimum level 4 in both speaking and listening only.
    Even if you failed to score a level 4 in the reading and writing elements you would still meet the requirement for a UK entry visa (settlement route)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... congratulations & well done, Joy.

's unfortunate about Hopkins.

Mind you, being a teacher, you'll sail through the Listening and Speaking Tests with flying colours ... I'm confident of it.
    Thank you Sir Arthur for believing in me
    "Love Knows no boundaries and no distance; miles and obstacles mean absolutely nothing in the face of Love"

Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    ....how about if my visa got approved and after I get married I will apply for FLR correct? Wont they accept my English certificate anymore? If ever my application got approved, I need to take English Test again?
    Hi Jen,
    It's another tricky situation.

Technically any applications made prior to April 17 (when UKVI went public) and which rely on English Language test by ETS will be accepted.

Anything else is subject to further guidance by The Home Office policy team.

Any changes to immigration rules (such as removal of ETS tests), will need to be approved by Parliament.

Sadly there's no answer to your question. But unless UKVI changes happen very quickly my personal advice for you would be to retake an English Test from an approved provider as you may find further applications such as FLR(M) to be put on-hold. That's something to avoid at all costs IMO

Hi Jen,
    It's another tricky situation.

Technically any applications made prior to April 17 (when UKVI went public) and which rely on English Language test by ETS will be accepted.

Anything else is subject to further guidance by The Home Office policy team.

Any changes to immigration rules (such as removal of ETS tests), will need to be approved by Parliament.

Sadly there's no answer to your question. But unless UKVI changes happen very quickly my personal advice for you would be to retake an English Test from an approved provider as you may find further applications such as FLR(M) to be put on-hold. That's something to avoid at all costs IMO
    Expiry of Educational Testing Services’ (ETS) licence to carry out secure English language tests: impact on student visa applicants.

The Government wants to ensure that this change does not have an impact on genuine international students who took an ETS test in good faith before the licence expired.

UK Visas and Immigration are accepting visa applications which rely on an ETS certificate issued before the expiry of the licence was made public on 17 April. These applications will be considered subject to our normal checks. Applications will be accepted until new Immigration Rules come into effect and transitional provisions have come to an end.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...language-tests

Good news if you have a ETS TOEIC English certificate, but have not submitted your visa application yet. Ours is going in, in the next week with a TOEIC English certificate...

Will
    Last edited by will1927; 4th May 2014 at 23:39. Reason: attachment

Quote Originally Posted by will1927 View Post
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...language-tests

Good news if you have a ETS TOEIC English certificate, but have not submitted your visa application yet. Ours is going in, in the next week with a TOEIC English certificate...

Will
    's interesting!

So ... ... "where there's a 'will', there's a way" ... yeah?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information