Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Want your skin to look 20 to 30 years younger? Try this

Exercise reverses skin's aging on microscopic level, McMaster University study suggests

This can reduce the effects of aging on the skin with just three months of treatment, making it appear 20 to 30 years younger, and won’t cost you a dime.
    That is, if you don’t count the cost of a gym membership.
    Preliminary findings out of McMaster University shows that exercise can prevent and even reverse the effects of aging in the skin.

“It shows is that exercise is something we should be doing not just for our hearts and our brains and to lower cancer risk,” said Dr. Mark Tarnopolsky, a professor of pediatrics and exercise science at McMaster, “but also it’s going to make our skin healthier.”
    What Tarnopolsky sees may be a bit different than when you see. When he said the skin looks 20-30 years younger, he’s looking at it at a microscopic level.

Dr. Mark Tarnopolsky is a professor of pediatrics and exercise science at McMaster University. (McMaster University)

“The dermis thins, so it gives skin a wrinkly, so of sloppy appearance,” explained Tarnopolsky. “And then the outer coating, the stratum corneum which is the outer part of the epidermis, it thickens which gives you a flakey skin as you get older as well.”
    What exercise does is prevent the dermis from thinning and the stratum corneum from thickening, making skin look decades younger at a microscopic level.
    He made the discovery when studying the effects of exercise on mice genetically modified to age faster. Comparing sedentary mice to those who exercise on a wheel three times a week, he found “massive systematic benefits.”
    “One of our most striking findings was the skin,” said Tarnopolsky. “It was dramatically abnormal in the aging mouse and completely protected with exercise.”

To test the theory further, he looked at skin biopsies of humans, taking samples from the upper buttocks, an area that wouldn’t be exposed to damage from the sun.

“I think a lot of people wouldn’t even think that exercise helps your skin because if you look at a runner like me we have a lot of wrinkles on our face because we spend so much time in the sun,” said Tarnopolsky.
    “So the photo aging kind of counters the benefits of exercise [to the skin], so in order to see the effects we have to look at an area that isn’t bombarded by sun.”

Taking it a step further, Tarnopolsky tried to show if exercise could reverse the effects of aging. Looking at people aged 65 and older, he studied what would happen if he introduced exercise at the late age. What he found was that the skin would appear 20 to 30 years younger under the microscope after three months.

And it didn’t take much — participants exercised for 30 minutes three times a week on a stationary bike.
    Tarnopolsky said he’s now turning his research to what processes at a protein level are reversing the effects of aging, but also looking to see what specific benefits we have from healthier skin.

“Do we actually have long-term protection from sun associated cancers?” Tarnopolsky asked.
    We’ll have to wait to find out.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...this-1.2614411

hmm not sure,I know some older gym people who don't really look any younger skin wise.

Erm, I have run the London marathon and up until this year ran at least 4 times a week. I wouldn't say it's done anything helpful for my skin lol

Trusted Member
    There are many health benefits of avoiding obesity through either increased exercise and / or decreased food intake (http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....09-Fat-Chance-! ). It’s a sensitive topic, but for many people looking better is part of the reason for keeping weight within healthy limits .

The claim from these Canadian researchers that exercise may help skin look 20 – 30 years younger seems too good to be true !

A closer look at their work - much closer ! - shows that it’s the MICROSCOPIC appearance of samples which show the apparent reversal of age-related changes. The underlying “ dermis “ was less thin, and the surface “ keratin “ less thick. The studies involved very small numbers ( 29 male and female volunteers, half active, half sedentary ) and the skin samples were from buttocks. They also studied a “ group “ ( how many ? ) of sedentary volunteers, 65 years or older, who then took moderate exercise twice a week for three months. Samples showed microscopic skin changes “ similar to those of 20 – 40 year olds “. They couldn’t explain how exercise might have changed the skin composition .

The study was presented this month at the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine in New Orleans. Other factors – like diet, genes, and lifestyles, might have influenced the different skin condition between exercising and sedentary groups.

No matter what the microscopic changes – few if any of us can look 20 – 30 years younger than our true age ! That’s a biological fact - as well as common sense ! By all means exercise and diet sensibly . It may knock kilograms off your weight, but it’s a vain hope that it will also knock two or three decades off how you look !

most of the runners i see in the early mornings just look like they are ready for an early grave

surely the best way to be is to be happy with yourself in all you do, that should help in how you look

Trusted Member
    ...just going out for ride on my bike !

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    surely the best way to be is to be happy with yourself in all you do, that should help in how you look
    Correct!

most of the runners i see in the early mornings just look like they are ready for an early grave
    , Steve ... read about the tragic case of a 47-yr-old who collapsed and died at the finishing line of the London Marathon, only the other day!

Trusted Member
    Well, there's a difference between 'exercise' and pushing your body to its limits I suppose.

If ever I was daft enough to consider running a marathon (hate running), my first appointment would be with a good doctor for a thorough health check.

I wonder how many of these endurance events participants actually bother to do this.

What's everyone worried about,I have never hidden from Sun, look about my age or younger (as some people say lol) eat cooked breakfasts if I want, get .... faced every now and again.

Don't think I want to live to the point where I'm wearing a nappy in a care home - I would rather have excitement and burn out having fun

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    I have never hidden from 'The Sun' ...
    's probably true, Les ... ... in other words, you every day!

Quote Originally Posted by lestaxi View Post
    ... I would rather have excitement and burn out having fun
    ... plenty of excitement still to be had on Page 3, I should imagine!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...-provider.html

don't worry about your skin, worry about how long you will live
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    , Steve ... read about the tragic case of a 47-yr-old who collapsed and died at the finishing line of the London Marathon, only the other day!
    Hardly an excuse not to run. There's more dropping dead through gluttony and laziness. I've loved running ever since taking up long distance as a teenager. I gave it up when married for the obvious reason of too much time training. I now have that luxury again and I'm loving it more than ever. I agree. .it would be wise to get checked out to see if you're fit enough but, the doctor will put the onus on you to decide on whether you run or not. The doc's examination will be basic.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...-provider.html

don't worry about your skin, worry about how long you will live
    so the best bet is to move south when you retire?

No don't worry how long you will live as the stress will kill you

...Don't think I want to live to the point where I'm wearing a nappy in a care home - I would rather have excitement and burn out having fun
    Most folks don't want that......sadly alternative choices are often limited when nobody wants to take up that responsibility.

I'm rock n Roll

In later years I will blow my money on sex, drugs and Rock n roll.
    At least i wont know what's wrong with me

Its sad when you see your parents wanting help in their everyday lives, and the biggest problem is we are to busy in our lives to give them the care they are wanting.

My mum was great in the daytime knowing people would be popping in and out but at the night time we could only stop for so long.

Being from such a large family you would have thought we could all share but its hard, and how can you expect your sister to do more then what you can?

I dont envy anyone who may have to go through this for me,
    I have told Ems i want to be kept at home and nursed by a young nurse or two

I'm rock n Roll

In later years I will blow my money on sex, drugs and Rock n roll.
    At least i wont know what's wrong with me
    I hope and pray both you and I are able to consciously decide and physically able to do what we'd like.

With my wife working in a care home I learn far too many sad stories..........

Trusted Member
    I don’t think any member is – or should be – concerned or worried about this Canadian “ research “ on exercise and skin .

Some of you may not have seen what I said in another post – please note the last paragraph ! :-

There’s discussion at the moment about giving estimates of life expectancy to pensioners, together with getting rid of the rules that force most people to use their pension pots to buy an annuity, and making it easier to spend their pensions how they wish. But of course, the best estimates of life expectancy can ONLY be made on averages according to age, gender, lifestyle, where people live / have lived, and other factors. Even with genetic profiling, nobody knows, nor would they necessarily want to know, their precise individual life expectancy.

Life expectancy at birth in the UK is now about 79 years for males and 83 years for females. For those living to the age of 65, further life expectancy for men is about 18 years and women 21 years. These estimates are lower for Scotland than England. They’re lowest for males and females in Glasgow for example ( about 73 and 79 years ). In the Philippines, life expectancy at birth is 65 years for males and 72 years for females, and for both sexes at age 60, 18 years.

While life expectancy is ONE measure of a population’s health status and is useful for public health purposes, it can only EVER be an estimate for individuals. There are many factors, including luck and stress, influencing how long an individual may live. But for most of us, moderation in diet and alcohol, exercise, and not smoking, do improve our chances .

However - and where - members choose / hope to live their lives, I wish you all good luck in your plans, and good health .

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/subnat...o-2010-12.html

http://www.who.int/countries/phl/en/

Banned
    so the best bet is to move south when you retire?
    Would be cheaper just to adopt the Southerners life style

I would have thought that as you age swimming and cycling would be far better forms of exercise as they have less of a stressful effect on the joints.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    I would have thought that as you age swimming and cycling would be far better forms of exercise as they have less of a stressful effect on the joints.
    I swim at least a mile almost every day.
    Got it down to just under 30 minutes if not many others in the pool.

Must admit my cycling has taken a hit since Christmas......mainly due to the weather and more pressing priorities from my wife..

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

With my wife working in a care home I learn far too many sad stories..........
    but don't forget there is abuse by family members who 'care' for elderly relatives, in fact the most common profile for an abuser is a trusted female who is family or a friend in her 30-40's

abuse can be Neglect, Financial abuse, Psychological abuse and Physical abuse there will be many sad stories that will never be reported, unlike a person in a care home with many staff and other residents the victim can talk to, the victims at home are totally controlled and isolated by the abuser

best bit of advance is stay healthy mentally and physically
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

but don't forget there is abuse by family members who 'care' for elderly relatives, in fact the most common profile for an abuser is a trusted female who is family or a friend in her 30-40's

abuse can be Neglect, Financial abuse, Psychological abuse and Physical abuse there will be many sad stories that will never be reported, unlike a person in a care home with many staff and other residents the victim can talk to, the victims at home are totally controlled and isolated by the abuser

best bit of advance is stay healthy mentally and physically
    Sadly that's all too true

in fact peter, this is pretty interesting, let's hope we dont abuse our partner or they abuse us

Perpetrators of abuse and neglect
    Partners (51%) and other family members (49%) were most commonly reported as perpetrators of
    mistreatment (Table 4.1)
    . Relatively little mistreatment was carried out by others (care workers 13%,
    close friends 5%).
    Perpetrator type varied with type of mistreatment. Neglect was mainly by partners (70%) and other
    family members (58%). Similarly, partners (57%) and other family members (37%) were the main
    perpetrators of interpersonal abuse.
    A different pattern was observed for financial abuse where the main perpetrators were other family
    members (54%) and care workers (31%), compared with only 13% for partners.
    https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/...+People+v2.pdf

Banned
    in fact peter, this is pretty interesting, let's hope we dont abuse our partner or they abuse us
    Tell me about it

I wouldn't argue those statistics.

I've been on the 'other side' of the fence as full time carer for my dad.......I can understand the frustrations and challenges involved when caring for someone.
    I can't ever agree with any resultant abuse though.......got to put your trust in somebody sometime.

As you say, it's wiser to live as healthy as possible to cut down the odds....

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Hardly an excuse not to run. There's more dropping dead through gluttony and laziness.
    Admittedly diet and lifestyle are significantly influential factors in determining human longevity or lack, of it. Only a fool would believe otherwise!

Having said that, some "schools of thought" adhere to the notion of there being much evidence to suggest genetic make up plays an even greater part in the number of years any individual is likely to survive.

So who's right and who's wrong?? Well ... ... I, for one, wouldn't begin to presume to be qualified to say. ... all I can recommend is to practise moderation in all things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information