Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    4 pints of milk is a classic Tesco ( & other big 4 supermarkets) rip off

See this link from November 2009 which shows them all (except Iceland who charged £1.00) flogging 4 pints for £1.53

http://metricviews.org.uk/2009/11/mi...market-muddle/

In the 4 or 5 years since then the price eased to £1.39. When it suited them Tesco would sell their own spurious "Creamfields" brand at £1.00. Throughout all this time Aldi, Lidl and Iceland continued to sell 25% cheaper at £1.00, Asda dropped theirs to £1.00 a few months ago.

Lo and behold on 4 March 2014 Tesco, Sainsburys and the rest dropped their price to £1.00. The extra £0.39 was excess profit - how many million 4 pint bottles of milk do they sell a day ?

Tesco - every little rip off helps our bottom line

Banned
    its sad all you blokes know all this about food shopping--isnt that what wives are for ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    its sad all you blokes know all this about food shopping--isnt that what wives are for ?
    Which is probably where I went wrong Bigmac . I was the one who did the food shopping wd both my Filipina wives. I thought I was being helpful.

Trusted Member
    Ha...I was single and doing my own shopping from 18 to 40+ . Plenty of experience.

Oh, and the supermarkets could do to allow the farmers and producers of THIS country a bit of profit, instead of screwing them into the ground and ultimately out of business, so leading to totally unnecessary imports.

i love going shopping,

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I've always been the one to do the food shopping, never takes long because I know exactly where everything is and the shopping bill never seems to differ much at all, love it!

Banned
    I only started shopping for food after I first got divorced aged 46. Before that it was her indoor's domain. It was a steep learning curve

I can't say I love it though. .like breathing, it's a necessity.

I agree Graham. ..more profit should be handed to our hard pressed farmers.

There's a lot of greedy share holders and not just at Tesco. If only we all knew what pressures a few of these companies are under.

... marriage is supposed to be an equal partnership. Nowadays, especially - when wives are out working and/or their husbands happen to be retired - it is only fair BOTH of them should share household responsibilities.

If only we all knew what pressures a few of these companies are under.
    Its a dog eat dog out there.

I dont look at years ahead in work, I just thank whoever that I have a pay slip each month, its hard out there my friends

Don't understand why anyone goes to Tesco still nowadays, unless they've no choice. It's the most expensive supermarket and even Sainsburys is now cheaper (If you take into consideration their strange marketing habit of giving away coupons for your next shop)

It used to be the best place to go 15 or so years ago, but the prices have slowly crept up and now it's notably more expensive.

Add this to the fact the staff are miserable (If you know anyone working there personally, they'll tell you it's because morale is very low as they have been cut back and are overworked). Contrast this with Asda staff, most will tell you it's an ok or even good place to work, and there's a noticeable difference in their attitude, at least at the ones I've been to.

Another supermarket I better not name, there's apparently a bullying attitude with management as culture, and there's all sorts of stories about employees being treated very badly out there.

Then there's Aldi, cheaper to buy, quality often better than the big normal supermarkets, and jobs sought after - they pay decent wages (for a supermarket, nobody will get rich on them but for that field it's not bad).

just a thought, whatever happened to the private corner shop, not very many around at all now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    just a thought, whatever happened to the private corner shop, not very many around at all now.
    Those remaining are way overpriced mainly ethnic owned with many purveying counterfeit cigarettes and alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Those remaining are way overpriced mainly ethnic owned with many purveying counterfeit cigarettes and alcohol.
    indeed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    The ones that actually made any money became Tesco metros. The rest were hung out to dry.

Can't see how Tesco are more expensive Remember the Tesco price promise. be it only compared wd Asda and Sainsburys. Ok, you have to buy at least 10 items to benefit but, it's a kosher offer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... marriage is supposed to be an equal partnership. Nowadays, especially - when wives are out working and/or their husbands happen to be retired - it is only fair BOTH of them should share household responsibilities.
    ha ha ha---i was saying that tongue in cheek. i've done the food shopping for years. And cooking--cleaning--in fact i'm very much the modern man--its either that or starve. But i still cant work out how to make toast with a steam iron.

But i still cant work out how to make toast with a steam iron.
    Easily ... ... just try out double creases on a pair of light~coloured slacks, and the vigorous pressing will eventually produce unsightly brownish scorch marks reminiscent of partly~toasted bread.

can happen - even when using a damp cloth for protection!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I remember this, It made me lol

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Hardly any effort was involved. If you cld of got any of your shopping cheaper, you wld of automatically receive a voucher at the till of what you wld of saved off your next shop.

Tesco are also offering up to 20p off a litre of fuel .

http://www.tesco.com/fuelsave/
    Well Tesco and Sainsburys both do that now.
    But Asda actually say if their not 10% cheaper than their rivals they'll refund the difference.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Easily ... ... just try out double creases on a pair of light~coloured slacks, and the vigorous pressing will eventually produce unsightly brownish scorch marks reminiscent of partly~toasted bread.

can happen - even when using a damp cloth for protection!
    Ha Ha Arthur, yours must be the voice of experience!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Well Tesco and Sainsburys both do that now.
    But Asda actually say if their not 10% cheaper than their rivals they'll refund the difference.
    Like Tesco, do Asda calculate for you there then ? I know Tesco use the online prices as their comparable. If that's the case, both Asda and Tesco wld be paying out all the time.

Forgive me for veering from the actual theme of your *thread, Peter ... but, leaving aside for a moment, its reference to Tesco in the *title, I couldn't resist a at my own fleeting thoughts as regards the remaining words 'jam tomorrow'.

Tomorrow being Sunday - and Easter Sunday at that - the youth of our church will, no doubt, have a role in the morning service. Now, as it happens, those youngsters (aged between 12 & 17) are members of what is known as 'The JAM Club' ... JAM in this context being short for 'Jesus And Me' ... and, of course, on Easter Sunday, the focus of Christians everywhere, is on Jesus' resurrection from the tomb and His ascension unto Heaven.

Trusted Member
    Interesting that Arthur...sticky ?

If any of the kids miss the service, will they be called 'Jammy Dodgers' ?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Interesting that Arthur... sticky ?

If any of the kids miss the service, will they be called 'Jammy Dodgers' ?
    Haha ... ... nice ones, Graham ... I like 'em, my friend!

Trusted Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information