Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

A sad place to be

When i go to fetch Ems from work after i have finished work myself i have to travel through Derby and up this road passing a cemetery, this place dates back to the mid 1800
    It does look a very sad place , head stones that have been pushed over because they was deemed unsafe, and who cares for these graves anymore i wondered,
    I would not like to be put there is all i can say,
    How long is it before people stop visiting these places to see there love ones,
    Most of my family have been cremated but never a week goes by without some sort of memory of the love ones coming into my head, but i have never been back to the crematoriums gardens to sit and think of them,

i take my dog for a walk in the cemetery near me every morning, it's a beautiful place (for a cemetery), some graves go back to the 1800's too, it's well looked after by the council and by people who visit, lots of flowers on many of the graves,

a couple of years ago they did attach a note to nearly every grave saying it was not safe even on my fathers grave stone but a very small number are leaning a bit, but i think the council took the notes off after many people protested, but you should enter at your own risk, why should the council be responsible ? i doubt anyone has been injured from a falling grave stone
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i doubt anyone has been injured from a falling grave stone
    Not unless you are an Eastern European rough sleeper after a night on the antifreeze

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Not unless you are an Eastern European rough sleeper after a night on the antifreeze
    no eastern Europeans spending the night in there, i usually take the dog for a walk very early in the morning

the cemetery near me, you can be fined upto £1,000 for entering before opening times i doubt anyone has ever been fined thou
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I'd definitely want to be buried in the Philippines, besides my relatives'. At least people there still remember the dead.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I'd definitely want to be buried in the Philippines, besides my relatives'. At least people there still remember the dead.
    many still remember the dead here, many graves have flowers on them near me, i always see people tending to their family graves

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    many still remember the dead here, many graves have flowers on them near me, i always see people tending to their family graves
    In our family we not only remember our dead, we talk about them. The family lives on

Our churchyard (my birth village) is a sight to be seen as well. Springtime is a good time. ..all the flowers coming through. We got an active Methodist community who share the responsibility of tending to the churchyard's upkeep even though it belongs to the Church of England.

I cut the grass around my parents grave and clean the stone when it gets too marked
    I do speak to them when there and often in my daily thoughts, my cremated remains will hopefully be scattered there after my passing.
    Mick.

Banned
    We pop into see my dad when we go visit mum on Mondays. A shame he didnt get to meet his 2 latest grandchildren but, there's enough pictures of him around their grandmother's house for them to know who granddad is Like me, the eldest speaks to his headstone. It's a wonderful life

http://longcotvillage.org/st-marys-church/

Trusted Member
    I was able to take my son to see the gravestone of his great great great...I don't know how many times, grandfather buried there early 1800s, with the same name my son carries...as does my brother, and did my father and grandfather . Family tradition.

Banned
    Both my granddads were born in the 1890s so that would make them great grandads to my boys. Ive yet to look back any further. I better ask mother as she's the last remaining link to the past.

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Both my granddads were born in the 1890s so that would make them great grandads to my boys. I've yet to look back any further. I'd better ask mother as she's the last remaining link to the past.
    Now is the best time to get family history information

We always wish we had started sooner.
    Mick.

Trusted Member
    My brother has really gone to town on our family genealogy (both sides).

He has got as far back as the 1300s for my mother's side, (Irish, but originally English) and think the 1600s for my dad's.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    My brother has really gone to town on our family genealogy (both sides).

He has got as far back as the 1300s for my mother's side, (Irish, but originally English) and think the 1600s for my dad's.
    wow, that is good going
    Mick.

Thread Information