Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vintage Manila

Trusted Member
    Manila Airport in the late 1960s :-

The current site for the airport dates from 1948, following independence. The international runway and taxiway were built in 1954. The control tower and terminal building for international passengers was inaugurated in 1961. Following fire damage in 1972, a smaller terminal was rebuilt in its place. This became the international terminal until a new " Terminal 1 " was built in 1981 ( named after " Ninoy " Aquino in 1987 ). The old terminal survived as Manila’s domestic airport until another fire damaged it in the mid 1980s.

Trusted Member
    My photo from 90 years ago shows a Packard ambulance - 6 cylinder, 81 horsepower - outside the Philippine General Hospital. The Packard marque was founded in 1899 in Detroit, Michigan, USA. Packards were a top-selling luxury brand of cars at this time, and also produced trucks in addition to ambulances, with markets in over 60 countries abroad. The last Packard cars were produced about 60 years ago :-

As I have posted elsewhere, the Philippines General Hospital celebrated its centennial in 2007, and was one of the few hospitals to remain open in the country throughout World War II :-

Trusted Member
    This view of Manila is from the early 1950s. Philippine Airlines were flying Douglas DC-6 aircraft between 1948-1954, after which they were sold at a time when PAL had discontinued loss-making long haul routes. Over 700 such aircraft were produced between 1946 and 1958. In 1948 Manila Airport had moved to its current site adjacent to the Villamor Airbase ( see #91 above ).

Trusted Member
    This is a view of Ayala Avenue, corner with Makati Avenue, in the 1980s.

Ayala Avenue has been called the " Wall Street of the Philippines ". Part was previously a runway for the Nielson Airport, destroyed during the Japanese occupation in World War II, and converted into a road in 1949.

The same view now, early morning before traffic build up, with a pedestrian underpass now visible near the monument of Gabriela Silang ( the first Filipina to lead a revolt against Spain, in the 18th century ) :-

Now even by night, the traffic never ceases :-

Trusted Member
    The first bridge to cross the Pasig River was the Puente Grande ( Large Bridge ) opened in 1630 ; the wooden superstructure was replaced with stone arches in 1814, as Puente de Piedra ( Stone Bridge ), severely damaged by an earthquake in 1863. It was reconstructed as Puente de Espana ( Bridge of Spain ), opened in 1875, widened in 1901, with tracks laid for " tranvias " ( trams / streetcars ) in 1905.

This view is from the early 1900s :-

Severe flooding damaged the bridge in 1914, and a replacement was opened in 1921. This was the Jones Bridge ( I ) - named after the principal author of the Philippine Autonomy Act assuring future independence. It was destroyed in WW II, then replaced by the present Jones Bridge ( II ).

The Jones Bridge, with the Post Office ( rebuilt 1946 ) in the background, is seen here from over 50 years ago :-

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Beautiful set of photo's Alan, once again thank you

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Beautiful set of photo's Alan, once again thank you
    Thanks Michael, appreciate your response

Nice one Alan,

Wonder if that comparatively modern looking building was a car park for the old post office

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Nice one Alan,

Wonder if that comparatively modern looking building was a car park for the old post office
    Thank you Simon, I don't know the answer, but your suggestion seems good.

That view of Puente de Espana from the early 1900s is my latest acquisition ( from USA ), and probably my oldest postcard

Over 9,500 views so far is great, but I do also welcome responses ( appreciation OR correction ) .

If you notice some earlier pictures are no longer available, it's to keep my " Photobucket " free store below maximum allowance .

Cracking thread Doc I'm sure most of us enjoy the pictures. Keep it up

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Cracking thread Doc I'm sure most of us enjoy the pictures. Keep it up
    Thanks Marco .

Trusted Member
    This photo from the 1950s shows Quezon Boulevard, in Quiapo district, with Quiapo Church ( site of the annual Feast of the Black Nazarene ) visible on the left. Filipino drivers had only been driving on the right side of the road for less than 10 years ( since an Executive Order by then-President Sergio Osmena in March 1945 ) :-

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information