Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar

Has anyone here dated or was in a relationship with a Thai woman? How was it?

This is a very random question, my fiance's friend is about to marry his thai woman and they just met around July or August last year? Or September? Not sure, the woman is already pregnant after how few months of their relationship.

I am just annoyed because it added another stigma to me as an asian getting married to a western, looks like they also think that I am the same as her who (looks like) trapped her western boyfriend.

P.S. I am not pregnant and doesnt want to be yet.

What do you know about them (thai)? About us? Differences? I am not asking for you to say bad things about other race but englighten me please? HAHAHA

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I suppose they are not all the same, I used to know a couple of men who married Thai ladies and they seemed ok and happy enough to me, but reading what you say Jen it does look a bit tricky, if you know what I mean. Time will tell!

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Hi Jen,

Before I met my filipino wife I was previously on line dating a Thai girl.

She sounded like a sweet girl and apart from the language barrier (she could speak some english) we seemed to be getting on fine.

She told me she had a heart complaint and also she had to sell her scooter to help her family out and sent me lots of pics nothing smutty but really nice photos of her.

After about 3 weeks she mentioned the big "M" word and I thought woh this is going too fast for me.

She also said that if I would like to marry her then a dowry of $20,000 USD to her parents for her hand in marriage.

Don't get me wrong I know that this is normal in Thailand but it threw me back alot, when I said no I could not afford that even if I wanted to she insisted to speak to her parents to get it reduced.

It then came down to 15k then 12k then last offer 10k...

Don't get me wrong a sweet girl she was also I believed she was genuine but far to fast for me.

After I insisted to get to know her better she accused me of not caring for her and that I broke her heart blah blah blah.....

WTF.....Like I say a nice girl but it just didn't feel right (call it a gut instinct)

Then a week after I met my beautiful wife Jamie, same language, same religious beliefs somehow makes it easier.

Even though Jamie fell pregnant the second day I was with her I had already proposed, unbeknown to myself that she had conceived and was committed to her whether she was pregnant or not because we both knew how deeply we felt about each other.

Yes fears, apprehension, stress ect ect about everything that could go wrong but here we are now will a 15 month in tow.

I am so glad I married a filipina girl who is so loving, sweet, caring, beautiful in all ways.

All I can say is we are the lucky ones...

Take care Jen...

Trusted Member
    'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread'.

Perhaps the gentleman in question should be referred to this site before making any life-changing decisions (and use contraception ?).
    http://dragonladies.org/bbs/

I've visited Thailand a few times, but not had a relationship with a Thai. The big difference I found between the two countries and cultures was that the Thai's came across as smiley, friendly, welcoming people but I always felt that it was a front and they had some kind of hidden agenda behind the smile
    Whereas whenever I've visited the Philippines I've always felt that the smiles and welcomes I've received have been genuine

we are who we are, if what is right for some and not others , well good luck to everyone i say and to others , whats it got to do with you, live and let live

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    we are who we are, if what is right for some and not others , well good luck to everyone i say and to others , whats it got to do with you, live and let live
    That's just how I feel too

Hi Jhen, i would like to say that whether thais or pinays, different culture, but there will always be good and bad ones. Wherever you go, you can find good and bad people. So, just dont mind them and focus on your VISA. Hahaha

Kidding aside, we know who we are and what we are. Walk with your head up high coz you are not doing anything wrong

Respected Member
    I have lived in Thailand for 5 years with my husband and have good thai friends...
    Through that time I have learned that they are just like filipinos except of one thing....they don't love as deep as a Filipino.
    Security is what they value most.Of the thais i have known they choose their husband based on who can provide better security then loves come second to it.
    THIS IS BASED ON MY OPINION AND EXPERIENCED.

Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    Wherever you go, you can find good and bad people.
    and that includes Filipinos, Thais and Brits
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post

I am just annoyed because it added another stigma to me as an asian getting married to a western, looks like they also think that I am the same as her who (looks like) trapped her western boyfriend.
    as for stigma and stereotyping .. i don't know whether to or my wife laughs but says she is insulted by it

http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    I believe a lot of Thai girls are asset strippers there's a good book by Stephen Leather "Private Dancer" which explains their psyche - google it for free download.

A mate of mine has been an expat civil engineer since he graduated, last 15 years living & working in Thailand. He lived with one for four years or so and she cleaned him out managing to gain possession of the house. Glutton for punishment he married another about 8 years ago, I've met her a couple of times, seems loyal but that could be due to the fact that shes a lady of leisure and Nick pays for everything. In contrast a Dutch friend in Amsterdam has been with the same girl since he met her in a BKK travel agency in 1990, as soon as she arrived in A'dam a year or so later she got stuck straight into learning dutch, driving, part time work whilst studying etc. She's now a Community Warden in a tough district of the city and does translation for the police

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhen1230 View Post
    I have lived in Thailand for 5 years with my husband and have good thai friends...
    Through that time I have learned that they are just like filipinos except of one thing....they don't love as deep as a Filipino.
    Security is what they value most.Of the thais i have known they choose their husband based on who can provide better security then loves come second to it.
    Phew thank god I married my pinay...

Saying that your right so true about deep love of a filipina...

[/QUOTE]

myself and Ems laugh at this but i wonder how many simple minded people think this is how all people from the Asian world are like

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    and that includes Filipinos, Thais and Brits
    Not one is superior over the other

OK with Thai's there can be a language issue not to mention the dowry which can be a drag but, all said and done, it all works out even in the end.

Thai's came across as smiley, friendly, welcoming people but I always felt that it was a front and they had some kind of hidden agenda behind the smile
    The land of smiles (but only if you paying)
    Loved my trip to Thailand but it comes across as if you got the cash we love you,if not .... off!
    Did not feel it was that way in philippines

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    as for stigma and stereotyping .. i don't know whether to or my wife laughs but says she is insulted by it
    I've watched that in TV a few months ago (we recorded Little Britain reruns) and I laughed at it a lot!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jhen1230 View Post
    I could say the opposite, based on my experiences of marrying 2 Filipinas, the latter is currently trying to take possession of my soul. Good, bad and downright evil everywhere.
    I wouldn't say Thai's are incapable of loving the same way as a Filipinos
    I got a work colleague who's been married to a Thai since 2000. They're a lovely family. .like me, they have two gorgeous boys.

I agree with Gwaps..
    My Mrs best friend in the UK was Thai..
    One of the nicest and most down to earth persons we knew.. Happily married for well over 25 years with 2 kids that are now in university.

Thread Information