Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Help please! Re: Incorrect middle name British passport

Hi everyone. I hope someone has any idea on what I should do as I have an issue regarding my name on my first British passport. I had my identity check interview today and was informed that the name on my passport will include my maiden name as my middle name, which was also reflected on my Naturalisation Certificate.

I remember asking someone from my local council about the inclusion of my maiden name in my Naturalisation Certificate and was told that it would be alright as I could choose the name i could put on my passport, ie have maiden name removed. Hence, I did not bother to request for the certificate to be changed and went ahead with the ceremony anyway.

I'm really worried as I don't have any middle name, and am certainly not happy to use my maiden name as middle name moving forward. Can anyone tell me what to do once I receive my passport, please? Do I apply for a deed poll so that I can drop that name for a replacement passport, or do I just apply for a replacement and submit other documents, ie Philippine passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, BRP card, etc?

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance

Oh dear, that's quite a muddle you've got there.

It's hard to image how you got so far with incorrect information.

I'd suggest you first contact should be the Passport Office.
    You can contact the Passport Adviceline on this tel no. 0300 222 0000

Alternatively you can write to them at:-

Her Majesty's Passport Office
    Globe House
    89 Eccleston Square
    London
    SW1V 1PN

If you wanted your name to be shown in a special way on your British passport then this should have been stated in Section 8 of the passport application form.
    You would have need to provide good supporting evidence.

How did you manage to get the incorrect name on your Naturalisation Certificate?
    The form is very clear in stating that the name you enter on the form will be also indicated on the Certificate.

Anyway, I think you'll discover that the easiest and cheapest route is application of a new passport via submission of a deed poll.
    I say that because it's relatively simple to achieve and low cost.

The alternative would be a change to your naturalisation certificate. This may not be so simple..but please do make a review of this explanatory document called
    - Naturalisation Certificates

As I said though, I think you should consult with the passport office as your first step and follow their advice.

In most similar case I have experience with they have advised deed poll.

Hope this helps with your thinking and here's wishing you good luck

Thanks so much for your prompt reply, Terpe. If I remember correctly, when I applied for the Naturalisation, I put my maiden name as my middle name because on the form it stated that all names on the passport should be there, or something to that effect. And as Philippine passports use the term "middle name" for maiden names,i included it in the form to be safe. It didn't get picked up at the NCS so I thought it was ok. I think I even put a note on the form that I don't have a middle name. I thought it wouldn't be much of an issue as my BRP card is issued on the correct name, meaning, my maiden name was not included at all.

So when I received my certificate, I was surprised that they included my maiden name, hence I called the local council and got the impression that I need not worry about it. Imagine my worry when I turned up for the interview today and was told that my maiden name will be in the passport as my middle name. At the end of the interview, though, when I asked the interviewer on how to address the middle name issue, she mentioned that I will have to do it via deed poll. I'm just wondering if I can easily do the deed poll for the replacement passport without submitting my naturalisation certificate?

Again, thanks ever so much for the help. And here i was thinking that i am now finally at the end of the citizenship journey. :( *sigh*

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    Hi Terpe,

How many years to have a British passport for the wife of a British citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by advocatequeen View Post
    ...I'm just wondering if I can easily do the deed poll for the replacement passport without submitting my naturalisation certificate?
    Yes, deed poll is pretty simple....and not expensive.
    Just google to research the best service for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    Hi Terpe,

How many years to have a British passport for the wife of a British citizen?
    Under new rules it's 5 years to ILR

Applicants must have ILR before being eligible for Naturalisation and must be naturalised British Citizen before making application for British passport.

Thanks so much,Terpe! Followed your advice and was told by HMPO that I just need to fill in a new form so that I can change my name. He said I could also send supporting documents so I can prove that I am known with just my first name and that I really don't have a middle name at birth. Will keep my fingers crossed and see if it works. At least there's a fast track option for minor changes on passport.

Thanks so much,Terpe! Followed your advice and was told by HMPO that i just need to fill in a new form so that I can change my name. He said I could also send supporting documents so I can prove that I am known with just my first name and that i really don't have a middle name at birth. Will keep my fingers crossed and see if it works. At least there's a fast track option for minor changes on passport.
    Well done
    Glad to learn that you found the way.
    Seems like the Passport Office is a good responsive outfit

Please keep us updated if all goes through smoothly

Thanks so much for your reply and assistance, Terpe I have received my British passport today, and alas, they have indeed included my maiden name as middle name. To make sure things get less complicated in the future, I have booked a fast track application in a couple of weeks' time, so hopefully everything goes smoothly. HMPO adviceline employees seem to be a helpful bunch. Will definitely keep you guys posted

Thanks so much for your reply and assistance, Terpe I have received my British passport today, and alas, they have indeed included my maiden name as middle name. To make sure things get less complicated in the future, I have booked a fast track application in a couple of weeks' time, so hopefully everything goes smoothly. HMPO adviceline employees seem to be a helpful bunch. Will definitely keep you guys posted
    Oh dear
    And there was I thinking that HMPO looked to be a good government outfit.......

Best of luck with your next try

When I received my new British passport i noticed some errors on my information. What I did was I sent back the passport and a letter explaining why it needs to be rectified. I enclosed again the supporting documents for reference and to prove to them that the mistake was made by them and for that reason I don't need to pay the fee again.

Hi everyone..thanks so much for the replies. I had my fast track application appointment this morning and received an appalling service from the HMPO officer who was insensitive and unempathetic of my situation. I came in prepared for the appointment, complete with my application form, cover letter, and supporting documents so expected to be understood and dealt with appropriately knowing that my situation was a bit complicated. I thought booking an appointment at the HMPO for the application was better as it would give me a chance to speak to an officer directly so I can explain my situation. Alas, I had the shock of my life when the officer did not even bother looking at the other documents I have brought with me (not even my birth certificate nor marriage certificate) and just said that she could not do anything but stick to whatever name it was on the naturalisation certificate, even if she has seen my BRP with the correct name on it. She told me that I could either do a change of name deed poll or contact the Home Office to have my certificate changed, which could take months. I did tell her that a deed poll may not be appropriate as technically there isn't a change of name that is going to happen.. it's simply to drop the middle name that is on the current passport which is my actual maiden name. I also raised the fact that if I were to contact the Home Office, it could take months, to which she replied, "That is not really my concern; but you need to contact them so you can have it corrected" I do understand where she's coming from, but her choice of words and manner of delivering them were so negative and unhelpful that I genuinely felt like I was going to cry in frustration and disappointment.

I have to say I am stuck in a limbo now as it was a complete waste of time to have been in the office first thing in the morning and received such utterly poor service from the HMPO officer. Does anyone have any idea how long the Home Office takes to correct naturalisation certificates? Or should I consult an Immigration lawyer/solicitor this time to assist me with my enquiry? Any thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance.

Thread Information