Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fat Chance !

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    I have only just seen this thread, I was diagnosed about May this year (2015) with type 2 diabetes , have had the eye and feet checks and they are ok at the moment, and was referred to a slimming club to lose weight!

My weight then was 16 stone 10 and a half pounds, after 3 months I am now 14 stone 12 pound
    have followed a low fat diet and counted Carbs and Calories, also gradually increased walking the dog lengths.

Giving up fattening puddings was a struggle but do not miss them now, for me it is changing eating habits altogether not being on a diet that will end.

Mick.
    Sorry Mick to hear of your Diabetes, delighted you are losing weight so keep up the good work no matter how difficult it is you will feel much better in time, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    I've lost nearly 2 stone in 6 months,rest of me slimish but big fat belly.I was worried about getting Diabetes too as it's common in my age group and with the weight I thought it's not happening to me.
    tried all sorts of diets but the main one which worked for me was to eat smaller portions,i still eat the wrong things sometimes-love curries but never eat it all and feel no guilt at chucking some away.
    Congratulations on the weight loss Les, keep it up, well done.

Mick Cant and Les, you are doing brilliantly and should feel so proud of yourselves!! Congratulations to you both, it's so hard to lose weight when you're older and a fantastic achievement!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Sorry I never got in touch Graham about having a beer in York-never went car had to have new clutch and flywheel today
    Bet on all 6 races from home-lost every race
    Fat Slags Handicap at York Races

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-Day-York.html

Trusted Member
    Well done indeed Mick and Les ! I respect your honesty.

Good advice from Rosie !

Graham – you’re in the “ healthy range “ for BMI .

Dedworth – you picked losers out of the promising fillies at York races

" BMI " ( Body Mass Index ; weight in kilograms / square of height in metres ) is commonly used as a measure of health and risk of disease. The " healthy range " is 18.5 – 24.9 ; 25 or more is overweight ; 30 or more is obese. However, it’s increasingly recognised that BMI has flaws – it can’t be used for children ; some adults with more muscle than usual such as rugby players may have a high BMI ; various ethnic groups such as Asians may be considered overweight at BMI 23(+) ; it’s also not easy to determine without a calculator

A simpler measure which is becoming increasingly recognised as possibly better than BMI is WAIST-TO-HEIGHT Ratio . Measuring someone’s waist is important, as it accounts for levels of " central fat " accumulating round organs like kidneys, liver and pancreas, and may be more closely linked to risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. It’s thought that the ratio should be less than half. All that needs to be done is to place a tape measure around the waist ( just above the " belly button " ). For a 6 foot man a waistline less than 36 inches, or a 5 foot 4 inches woman a waistline less than 32 inches, would give such a ratio. You don’t even need a tape measure ! A length of string to measure height, folded or cut in half may then be used for waist measurement .

In the UK there will always be accusations of a " nanny state " if attempts are made to force weight loss by denying benefits to obese claimants, " fat / sugar " taxes, restraints on the food industry, or " Weight Watchers " on NHS prescriptions. But the facts are that the health and economic consequences are unsustainable for taxpayers ( no matter their individual weights ) . It’s an increasing problem in the Philippines, where a greater burden of health care falls on individuals.

Obesity is too common to dismiss as a self-inflicted condition ( with increased risk of illnesses ) – it’s not for health care workers to be judgemental. But we certainly need to encourage and educate individuals who ARE motivated to lose weight .

Trusted Member
    Thanks for that useful info Alan.

32" waist for me...where you've indicated to measure. (6'1" height).

I went in for blood tests at the doc's this week (mainly for cholesterol). Results next week.

Oh dear, I have now lost 2 stone in weight, but with my height being 5.9 waist 45 1/2 and as of this morning (31-8-2015) 14s 6 lb
    I will carry on reducing waist and weight, I have increased my daily walks (with to two 2 mile walks with other shorter walks in between, plus my daily task walking of course!
    I gave up driving and sold my car last year, so that makes me walk more too
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    Oh dear, I have now lost 2 stone in weight, but with my height being 5.9 waist 45 1/2 and as of this morning (31-8-2015) 14s 6 lb
    I will carry on reducing waist and weight, I have increased my daily walks (with to two 2 mile walks with other shorter walks in between, plus my daily task walking of course!
    I gave up driving and sold my car last year, so that makes me walk more too
    Mick.
    Very well done Mick

Trusted Member
    Keep up the good work Mick. I too don't use a car anymore. No need with the free buses...saves a fortune and keeps you fit and without 'motoring stresses'.

I do have old mates (this one since our teens) who visit me with their lovely cars though. This was yesterday.

1976 Alfa Romeo Spider. Only 22,000 miles and immaculate throughout...as they say.

My waist 33" and 5'10" tall!

Trusted Member
    You look quite small in your avatar Michael.

Hmm, ... at [almost] 71 and 6ft tall, I weigh 13st. 7lbs ... ... probably about average, I'd say, for someone of my age, height and build!
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 31st August 2015 at 19:49.

Trusted Member
    Thank you Mick, Graham, Michael and Arthur for your interest in the thread and honesty

My BMI is within the " healthy " range, and waist-to-height ratio ( just ) acceptable at 0.5

Of course I don't make value judgements - especially as I don't know most members - but simply inform, so members can decide for themselves on lifestyle choices which may affect their health.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    You look quite small in your avatar Michael.
    Oh Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    My waist 33"
    Waist measurement (mine) is 36" ... bordering on 38. Because - even though I'm now diabetic and need to be careful in what I eat - I still don't like to see food going to waste!

Trusted Member
    Diet is in the news again . The Philippines Heart Association is " reminding everyone to be wary of salty and fatty foods that may lead to heart and diabetes problems ". UK MPs and campaigners are recommending measures including 20% tax on sugary drinks, controlling " two for one " promotional sales of food, and ending TV advertising of high salt, high sugar and fatty foods until after the " 9 pm watershed " .

Overweight and obesity have increased globally, and despite isolated areas of improvement, no country to date has reversed this " pandemic ".

Obesity may well cost the NHS almost as much as the costs of smoking- and alcohol- related ill health combined. Even in the 1.35 million NHS staff, about 700,000 are overweight or obese.

It’s been shown in this thread that the Philippines is - like every other country - suffering the consequences of increasing overweight / obesity rates, even if the problems are not as great as those of the UK.

Obviously eating less and exercising more is too simplistic - it’s not working . Numerous factors - in addition to diet and exercise - contribute, including genes, social and cultural factors and the environment. It’s not just the responsibility of health services and governments - individuals have their role to play.

One " measure " to be remembered is the tape measure ! Height and waist measurements are at least as helpful as BMI ( not always reliable ).

It’s been suggested elsewhere on the Forum that being " skinny " is worse than being obese. BOTH are malnutrition ( poor nutrition ) - EACH carry different risks. About 2 billion of the world’s population are overweight or obese ; about 800 million are undernourished.

Around 3% of adults in the UK are thought to be underweight ; the problem is greater in the Philippines ( over 10% ). There children and adolescents may be underweight to a greater degree than in the UK, while ALSO having increasing rates of obesity.

Risks of being underweight include anaemia; fragile bones ( osteoporosis ); infections ( decreased immunity ); infertility; and chronic tiredness. There are other serious risks in children - over 70 million suffering worldwide at any one time.

Around the world, aid agencies are dealing with larger, more complex food insecurity crises than ever before, made worse by conflicts and severe weather events. A third of such undernourished people thought to be refugees or people internally displaced by conflict. Little attention has so far been paid to these problems, affecting about 30 countries.

Obesity and undernutrition are just the opposite ends of a spectrum of increasing worldwide malnutrition - both causes and possible solutions are complex.

Trusted Member
    Put 50% tax on useless drinks full of sugar...and ignore the bleatings of obviously biased industry spokespeople.

Sometimes the stupid or those just in self-denial have to be helped to help themselves... as with smokers and drinkers.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Put 50% tax on useless drinks full of sugar...and ignore the bleatings of obviously biased industry spokespeople.

Sometimes the stupid or those just in self-denial have to be helped to help themselves... as with smokers and drinkers.
    Thanks Graham

With Christmas approaching and other matters dominating the news media, it’s unsurprising to have only one response to this update.

The world has become increasingly aware of the role of added sugars, especially in drinks, as a major cause of increased weight and diabetes. The only studies disputing this are funded by the sugar and beverage industries.

Many governments HAVE started actions to reduce consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks, including taxation; but also reduction of availability in schools, restrictions on marketing of sugary foods to childen, public awareness campaigns, and clearer labelling of packages.

The primary role of doctors, dentists, and other health care workers is to make people better, without making judgements. However, this obesity pandemic affects health services and governments, as well as those funding treatments - whether tax-payers, those paying " out-of-pocket ", or through insurance. It will certainly concentrate minds again once Christmas is over.

I will never understand why the UK fell into the trap of Junk food and Energy drinks, we were warned thirty years ago when it was reported the dangers of becoming Obese and America was the target at that time!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I will never understand why the UK fell into the trap of Junk food and Energy drinks, we were warned thirty years ago when it was reported the dangers of becoming Obese and America was the target at that time!
    Even now, a recent study showed about 3/4 of products in the US food supply contain caloric or low-calorie sweeteners, or both. Regions with the highest consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks are North and Latin America, Australasia and Western Europe. The rest of the world - including the Philippines - seems to be moving towards the pervasiveness of added sugars in the food supply, which started in North America.

Public acceptance of interventions to prevent obesity ( and even concern about a condition affecting over 2 billion people worldwide ) is mixed, although strongest when focused on children.

There’s good evidence that larger portions of food and non-alcoholic drinks increase consumption ( " all you can eat " ; " buy 3 for 2 " ) ... unmatched by similarly strong evidence on how to reduce this effect. Size of portions, packages, and even tableware ( plates, cups, glasses and cutlery ) have increased over the past 50 years. Portion size interventions would be easier in public sector organizations like schools and hospitals, than in commercial environments. In more expensive restaurants, portions actually tend to be smaller ! However, the public in general, private industry, and governments would need to be aligned to improve matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Even now, a recent study showed about 3/4 of products in the US food supply contain caloric or low-calorie sweeteners, or both. Regions with the highest consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks are North and Latin America, Australasia and Western Europe. The rest of the world - including the Philippines - seems to be moving towards the pervasiveness of added sugars in the food supply, which started in North America.

Public acceptance of interventions to prevent obesity ( and even concern about a condition affecting over 2 billion people worldwide ) is mixed, although strongest when focused on children.

There’s good evidence that larger portions of food and non-alcoholic drinks increase consumption ( " all you can eat " ; " buy 3 for 2 " ) ... unmatched by similarly strong evidence on how to reduce this effect. Size of portions, packages, and even tableware ( plates, cups, glasses and cutlery ) have increased over the past 50 years. Portion size interventions would be easier in public sector organizations like schools and hospitals, than in commercial environments. In more expensive restaurants, portions actually tend to be smaller ! However, the public in general, private industry, and governments would need to be aligned to improve matters.
    Your right Alan, I must admit I've never been tempted to buy to buy offers because I only need one so why fall for these sales tricks? you only end up spending more and wasting more also!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information