Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fat Chance !

Trusted Member
    If only the 28 stone 33 years old mother of three from Gateshead ( Ded’s rant :- http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....one-Idle-Lardy ) was the only one !

• Obesity is a global issue – about a third ( 2.1 billion ) are overweight or obese ; compared to 840 million estimated to be undernourished ; over the past three decades not one nation has slimmed down .

• In the UK, estimates for 2013 are that over a quarter of boys ( under 20 ) are overweight and obese ( 7.4% obese ) ; two thirds of men overweight and obese ( a quarter obese ) ; for girls, almost a third ( and 8% obese) ; women, about three fifths ( a quarter obese ).

• The Philippines – with the decline of communicable diseases there is an increase in obesity and its consequences :-

5.5% boys overweight and obese ( 2.6% obese ) ; about a quarter of men ( 4.1% obese ) ; 5.4% of girls ( 2.1% obese ) ; a quarter of women ( 6.2% obese ).

• Apart from contributing to many diseases, possibly 5% of all deaths worldwide, and costing the NHS £5 billion annually, it’s a massive drain on the economy ( £ 16 billion annually in the UK ).

• Even if the estimates are just that, and BMI ( Body Mass Index ) on which they’re based is an imperfect measure ( a tape measure round the waist has advantages ! ) – it does seem obesity is an economic, social and health burden as important as smoking, armed violence and terrorism ; and more serious than alcoholism, air pollution, drug use and road accidents.

• If it was simply a matter of eating less and exercising more, there wouldn’t be this worsening global pandemic .

There’s huge variation round the world, but generally although consumption of healthier foods has increased, that of unhealthy foods has increased MORE ; and people are taking LESS exercise.

• There is NO single intervention which can do much good, but a combination of over 40 interventions could bring a fifth of overweight/obese Britons back to normal weight.

• There are many beliefs about obesity which persist despite contradicting evidence ( myths ) or without supporting evidence ( presumptions ).

• Facts – things we know with reasonable confidence - are these :-

1. Diets ( reduced energy intake ) do reduce weight but they’re hard to maintain long term.

2. Increased exercise improves health even with little weight loss.

3. Overweight children need involvement of parents and the home setting more so than school programmes.

4. Some prescription drugs and weight loss surgery are effective in appropriate patients.

• This is – literally – a massive topic. Even the " experts " who came up with over 40 possible interventions to tackle the obesity epidemic, acknowledge that readers are unlikely to agree with ALL their suggestions .

• Overweight people do seem to face humiliation, ridicule, insults, and discrimination to a greater extent than those with other unhealthy lifestyles – which seems only to aggravate their condition.

• It’s not for me to judge people’s lifestyle choices – and it’s debatable how much governments should do to promote healthier lifestyles, in addition to individual effort. What is beyond doubt is that obesity is now a critical global issue – with neither a single cause nor solution.

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/eco..._fight_obesity

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...460-8/abstract

Throughout most of my life, I've maintained a reasonably steady weight for my height ... except for a short period in 1952/53 at the age of eight.

At that time, I was still living in the city of Glasgow (my birthplace) and my parents had been informed I'd [possibly] developed what they'd (from then on) believed to be: "Enlarged glands in my back" - for which a portable X-ray machine was brought to our North Kelvinside flat to confirm the diagnosis - and there followed a period of 3 months' bed rest interspersed with the occasional trip to nearby Ruchill Hospital for further x-ray examinations.

Unsurprisingly, such a lengthy spell of inactivity led to me piling on excess pounds and, not long after the doctors had pronounced me fit enough to return to school, we moved to the rural Perthshire village of Glenfarg where, unfortunately, I soon found myself being "picked upon" by the local kids who took to teasing and bullying what they perceived to be a bloated "Glesca keeley" incomer. Yet ... ... with hindsight - and looking back over old photos - I can see I wasn't really all that fat.

Anyway, in later years - when I was round about 14 - I became eligible for the BCG injection. However, prior to this procedure being administered, potential candidates were subjected to a small pinprick to determine any possible immunity to tuberculosis ... and the outcome of mine indicated this to be the case with me, so that, instead of receiving the actual jab, I was referred to the Mass Radiography Unit stationed in Perth - leading me to be asked for the first time, if I'd ever had, or been in contact with, anyone suffering from TB ... to which I'd replied I hadn't; not that I knew of anyway.

Although, much later still - and on several occasions in recent years - I've been asked the same question. Indeed, an x-ray taken in 2005 showed scarring on my lungs which, in turn, I learned from my GP was indicative of the presence of TB many years before.

Aha! 's it, I thought - MYSTERY SOLVED - albeit it was something I'd suspected myself since I was a teenager.

But then ... ... that was 1958 when I was first questioned.

Alan ... my apologies for straying a bit on a thread dealing with OBESITY issues. Given that you have already prepared several threads specifically relating to Tuberculosis, perhaps I ought to've discussed TB separately. But, of course, as you've seen, in my own case, the two conditions happened to be bound up inextricably. Hence I decided to lump them together.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    If only the 28 stone 33 years old mother of three from Gateshead ( Ded’s rant :- http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....one-Idle-Lardy ) was the only one !

• Obesity is a global issue – about a third ( 2.1 billion ) are overweight or obese ; compared to 840 million estimated to be undernourished ; over the past three decades not one nation has slimmed down .

• In the UK, estimates for 2013 are that over a quarter of boys ( under 20 ) are overweight and obese ( 7.4% obese ) ; two thirds of men overweight and obese ( a quarter obese ) ; for girls, almost a third ( and 8% obese) ; women, about three fifths ( a quarter obese ).

• The Philippines – with the decline of communicable diseases there is an increase in obesity and its consequences :-

5.5% boys overweight and obese ( 2.6% obese ) ; about a quarter of men ( 4.1% obese ) ; 5.4% of girls ( 2.1% obese ) ; a quarter of women ( 6.2% obese ).

• Apart from contributing to many diseases, possibly 5% of all deaths worldwide, and costing the NHS £5 billion annually, it’s a massive drain on the economy ( £ 16 billion annually in the UK ).

• Even if the estimates are just that, and BMI ( Body Mass Index ) on which they’re based is an imperfect measure ( a tape measure round the waist has advantages ! ) – it does seem obesity is an economic, social and health burden as important as smoking, armed violence and terrorism ; and more serious than alcoholism, air pollution, drug use and road accidents.

• If it was simply a matter of eating less and exercising more, there wouldn’t be this worsening global pandemic .

There’s huge variation round the world, but generally although consumption of healthier foods has increased, that of unhealthy foods has increased MORE ; and people are taking LESS exercise.

• There is NO single intervention which can do much good, but a combination of over 40 interventions could bring a fifth of overweight/obese Britons back to normal weight.

• There are many beliefs about obesity which persist despite contradicting evidence ( myths ) or without supporting evidence ( presumptions ).

• Facts – things we know with reasonable confidence - are these :-

1. Diets ( reduced energy intake ) do reduce weight but they’re hard to maintain long term.

2. Increased exercise improves health even with little weight loss.

3. Overweight children need involvement of parents and the home setting more so than school programmes.

4. Some prescription drugs and weight loss surgery are effective in appropriate patients.

• This is – literally – a massive topic. Even the " experts " who came up with over 40 possible interventions to tackle the obesity epidemic, acknowledge that readers are unlikely to agree with ALL their suggestions .

• Overweight people do seem to face humiliation, ridicule, insults, and discrimination to a greater extent than those with other unhealthy lifestyles – which seems only to aggravate their condition.

• It’s not for me to judge people’s lifestyle choices – and it’s debatable how much governments should do to promote healthier lifestyles, in addition to individual effort. What is beyond doubt is that obesity is now a critical global issue – with neither a single cause nor solution.

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/eco..._fight_obesity

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...460-8/abstract
    Wow, another eye opener Alan, quite shocking!

Respected Member
    What saddens me is seeing fat parents with fat children. The kids are being brought up 'fat'.

I was at my heaviest last year, being 22 stone 1 pound. Since my husband and I married we have wanted to start a family but we were not having any luck so we were referred to a fertility clinic. After various tests to both of us they have concluded the problem is my weight. I have polycystic ovaries which means I do not ovulate regularly anyway but the doctors have told me my weight is making it worse. I believe that even if I did conceive the risks to me and the baby would be much higher during the pregnancy because of my weight? The last time I went to the clinic in October I was told that they cannot and will not offer me any form of treatment until I get my BMI under 30.

I have always been big, ever since I was a child (despite being a competitive swimmer and synchronised swimmer) so to be honest I am not sure I could ever get my BMI under 30 which is devastating news because I want a family. However I am trying, since October I have lost 38 pounds by changing my diet alone. Now my weight seems to have stuck so I am having to start introducing exercise as well. I just hope it makes a difference because it is the hardest thing I have ever done.

My family are all big, grandparents and parents but I have always been the biggest. I think a small part of it is genetic but I cannot blame anyone but myself. The people in these programmes make me disgusted and embarrassed in case others think of me as they do them. I have always worked and always would, they seem to blame everyone else for their weight. No one is forcing them to eat the way they do and no one is stopping them changing.

Respected Member
    Well done Abigail, keep it up! Now the weather is improving exercise is more interesting than going to the gym too!

Thank you so much Trefor. To be honest I don't believe I could ever go to a gym just because I feel so uncomfortable there, like I really don't belong. My husband is very into cycling so to try and make an effort my parents gave me a bike for my Christmas. As you say the weather should be improving now so hopefully there will be plenty chances to use it

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Well done Abigail.

My grandma (the only one alive now) has always been fat but she has always worked and active as far as I know, yet not losing a lot of weight. Every youngsters in the village call her "Lola Taba", not to mock her though. One of my aunts used to be fat but a couple of years ago lost a lot of weight due to her depression, which I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Every case is different. There are fat people who can't lose the weight whatever they do (might be because of medical reasons) but there are also fat people who doesn't even care at all about their health and keeps on building it up as they please.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thanks Rayna and thanks Doc for the rep.

I think you are right Rayna there are so many reasons people can be fat. Unfortunately I was the opposite to your aunt I got fat because I was depressed and turned to food for comfort. The one thing I find hard sometimes is the Filipino attitude of being brutally honest. All my husbands relatives comment on my weight but they don't mean to be offensive they are just stating a fact.

I read Jen's comment before about her fiancé telling her he wasn't attracted to her anymore and I just think that is awful, I would be devastated if my husband ever said anything like that. People need support and encouragement to lose not ridicule or being told they aren't attractive but most importantly they have to want to lose as well.

Trusted Member
    Thank you for reading my update and your responses ! Your opinions are appreciated.

Arthur – as you say, your posts were not completely " off topic "– they just illustrate one underlying medical condition contributing to being overweight. Latent TB, your likely diagnosis, is hopefully explained in the TB thread. Anyone with latent TB is / has been infected, but with no symptoms and they can’t transmit the disease. It wouldn’t be appropriate ( or possible ) nowadays either to prescribe prolonged bed rest, or treat every single case ( perhaps a third of the world’s population may have latent TB ).

Times have changed, in any case – for example, heart disease and backache were treated by prolonged rest within the past 50 years, no longer considered appropriate. In fact, there is probably no single medical condition which is made worse by exercise of mild or moderate intensity.

In Abigail’s case, polycystic ovary syndrome is more recently recognised, not an uncommon cause of weight gain, and treatment ( if not cure ) is available.

Trefor – involving parents and the home setting ARE considered effective in promoting and maintaining weight loss.

Rayna – I wish your Lola well, and thankful she is treated with love and respect.

Michael - my carefully selected links do show just what a global problem obesity has become.

I have a little lump that protrudes when I am relaxed, but hey, I'm happy!

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    I have a little lump that protrudes when I am relaxed, but hey, I'm happy!
    ... care to explain?

Um ... no - on second thoughts, perhaps best not - ... you've already divulged

DEAR DEAR ME Arthur, what are you thinking? I am talking about me belly

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    DEAR DEAR ME Arthur, what are you thinking? I am talking about me belly
    ... aye, Steve ... that'll be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... aye, Steve ... that'll be right!
    Although ... they do say, the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    ............I have always been big, ever since I was a child (despite being a competitive swimmer and synchronised swimmer) so to be honest I am not sure I could ever get my BMI under 30 which is devastating news because I want a family. However I am trying, since October I have lost 38 pounds by changing my diet alone. Now my weight seems to have stuck so I am having to start introducing exercise as well. I just hope it makes a difference because it is the hardest thing I have ever done.
    Wow ....Abigail, losing 38 pounds is a fabulous achievement, very well done!!! I really don't like going to a gym for exercise either but love being outside in the fresh air and I really enjoy walking. I'm fortunate to live near a couple of hills that I regularly use as one of my walking routes which helps with cardiovascular exercise. I'd recommend briskly walking a few miles several times each week to anybody as a great form of exercise which, coupled with a reduced/ lower calorie intake, is a sure way of burning fat and of course it's cheap!

Respected Member
    Abigail, with regards to the gym it is often the 'type' of gym which is a problem. The best thing would be a women only gym if there is such a thing in Aberdeen. Second best is a smaller 'local' gym. I go to one near me and it is used by a complete spectrum of people, lots of middle aged people with a bit much weight, and not many 'skinny housewives who spend 2 hours on the steps then sip cappuccino in the reception for another hour' IYKWIM.

The worst kind of places are the big commercial gyms. I used to use a David Lloyd gym in High Wycombe. Great place with a pool & jacuzzi too. However it was very expensive (£75 a month vs. £3 a visit I pay now) and the clientele were far too trendy for their own good.

Also, don't forget exercise classes instead of the actual gym.

Trusted Member
    Thank you, Rosie and Trefor ! Walking IS beneficial, even if some health problems – such as obesity - limit the length of time it’s possible, or in a minority make it impossible.

• No matter how much – or little - sympathy one has for the 2 billion human beings in the world who are overweight or obese, the fact is that their cost to personal health, national health systems, and the economy are unsustainable - and worsening with time .

• Even if NO single intervention can do much good, at least the suggestions ( by McKinsey Global Institute ) here are worth considering ( left click on image ) !

( From :- http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/eco..._fight_obesity
    )

Thank you so much for the rep Rosie and the suggestion of walking, I actually do a fair amount of walking because I have a border collie who requires it. She is a great excuse for me to get out the house at least three times a day!

Trefor, thank you as well, I do know exactly what you mean and they are the kind of people that always make me feel so uncomfortable. I hadn't thought about a wee local gym so I will maybe have a look around for that.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Thank you so much for the rep Rosie and the suggestion of walking, I actually do a fair amount of walking because I have a border collie who requires it. She is a great excuse for me to get out the house at least three times a day!

Trefor, thank you as well, I do know exactly what you mean and they are the kind of people that always make me feel so uncomfortable. I hadn't thought about a wee local gym so I will maybe have a look around for that.
    Hiya Abigail, just to congratulate you on your weight loss as I myself was over 30 stone quite a few years ago, but have been fighting a constant battle to try and be healthier.

May I ask are you married to a Filipino guy, as it's not often you see caucasian females here on filipino UK...

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Sorry Abigail, just realised you are married to a Filipino...

Thank you so much for the congratulations and yes I am indeed married to a Filipino but you are right I am certainly in a minority

Trusted Member
    " Diabetes UK " charity has warned that the number of people living with diabetes in the UK increased from 2.1 million a decade ago to over 3.3 million now. 90% of these are " type 2 diabetes " , closely linked to diet and obesity. ( Type 1 diabetes has also increased, but this is nothing to do with weight - they can’t produce insulin to control blood sugar levels ). Type 2 costs the NHS about £ 10 billion / year, and 10% of the drugs bill, because of serious complications ( nerve damage, loss of vision and damage to organs like the kidneys ).

A similar number of cases were diagnosed in the Philippines last year.

In the UK, 2/3 men and 3/5 women are overweight +/or obese ; Philippines, 1/5 men and ¼ women.

Obesity, with diabetes as one of its serious complications, would far more successfully – and cheaply – be dealt with by prevention in the first place. Eat less and exercise more ! If only it was that simple ! Once people become obese it’s hard to return to a normal weight. Yet obesity is smoking’s successor as a great public health challenge – in the UK, the Philippines, and most other countries in the world.

No matter how much sympathy we may – or may not – have for " self-inflicted illnesses resulting from lifestyle choices ", the health and economic consequences are unaffordable in the UK, and more so in the Philippines . Taxpayers in the UK DO make judgements about access to finite pooled NHS resources. This UK Government would like to reduce or stop paying benefits to people who are obese ( or who have alcohol / drug dependency ) if they don’t comply with treatment – even if health professionals are uncomfortable with the idea of forcing people to have treatment.

There have been various other suggestions about tackling obesity ( and thereby controlling the epidemic of diabetes ) in this thread - including " fat tax " and / or a tax on refined sugar in drinks, and better hospital food.

Obesity and diabetes are linked, but NOT indigestible problems ! The USA is making some progress in slimming down ; while the UK has a higher obesity rate than most other west European countries, and the rate’s increasing in the Philippines.

Many people in the UK DO manage to live a good life without becoming obese. I hope this update is of interest and maybe you have more thoughts about solutions which might work.

Thanks for your interesting post Doc Alan. I believe that providing more education about the affects of over-eating and what can be done to prevent/ control obesity is key. People do have a choice about their life style but many just don't understand the harm that they are doing to themselves until it's too late, or they have already developed bad habits that are hard to break. Others just don't care.

There should be more collaboration with the food industry and supermarkets who greatly influence eating and shopping habits but people must also be encouraged to take responsibility for their own health and wellbeing. In my opinion, providing pro-active education at an easily understandable level to the right audience is paramount and should be started at an early age but it shouldn't stop there and should continue, also involving adequate exercise ............

I have only just seen this thread, I was diagnosed about May this year (2015) with type 2 diabetes , have had the eye and feet checks and they are ok at the moment, and was referred to a slimming club to lose weight!

My weight then was 16 stone 10 and a half pounds, after 3 months I am now 14 stone 12 pound
    have followed a low fat diet and counted Carbs and Calories, also gradually increased walking the dog lengths.

Giving up fattening puddings was a struggle but do not miss them now, for me it is changing eating habits altogether not being on a diet that will end.

Mick.

I've lost nearly 2 stone in 6 months,rest of me slimish but big fat belly.I was worried about getting Diabetes too as it's common in my age group and with the weight I thought it's not happening to me.
    tried all sorts of diets but the main one which worked for me was to eat smaller portions,i still eat the wrong things sometimes-love curries but never eat it all and feel no guilt at chucking some away.

Trusted Member
    I am 6'1" and weigh 12-13 stone.

Do I need to go to 'fatten-up' camp ?

I was in York today....and watching all the racegoers getting off the bus made me think...blimey, those poor buses must be carrying TWICE the weight they used to do a few years back.

Sorry I never got in touch Graham about having a beer in York-never went car had to have new clutch and flywheel today
    Bet on all 6 races from home-lost every race

Trusted Member
    Oh dear...very dear ! No probs mate. Hope your wallet gets a refill soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information