Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fat Chance !

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I'm 5'2" tall & weighed 56kg before I came here. After 2 years of being here, I now weigh 50.6kg. All my friends and relatives told me I was thin when we had our holiday last November! What does it tell me? I miss eating proper Filipino food!!!

But seriously, what made me lose some weight (unintentionally coz I don't find myself fat, just have a slightly big tummy though ) is because I only eat rice once a day since I arrive here, during lunch time. When I was in the Philippines, I eat rice 3x a day!
    Hello Rayna, could you be kind enough to convert kg into stones for me please because I've never understood kg and it seems to becoming the norm now, thank you!

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    Michael, it,s very insulting to a woman to tell her to lose weight in my opinion. Will you love your wife less if she gained a bit of weight ? In later years it,s very hard for women to lose weight.
    You are right, it was very insulting. I am not sure if any one here has an idea how painful it was to be told to lose weight, worse happened to me when my fiance went here November. One night before my birthday party, we had some heart-to heart talk in Riverbanks Marikina, we were seated in the grass and there were people around us as well but that moment was really painful. That moment he told me that I was so big for his eyes to the point the he was currently unattracted to me-- My world crashed and really cried, it was the most painful moment in my life, I swear, he also cried for making me feel that way but we both cant help it. Until we reached the hotel and the coldness between us were still present, i was like staying in a hotel with a stranger, until the night, i cant stop crying and told him that I wanna go home and did not want to see him but as the time goes by, it calmed me down. He talked to me and said that the reason why he was just being honest because he loves me and wanted to be with me forever, he decided to tell it to me directly in persont whilst he was here and we were together than go back to England and just leave me. It was a wake up call for me, but you know it really affect my personality, The first 2 to 3 weeks of struggling in exercise and diet, I had a very low self-esteem, the high confidence that I had, were all vanished, insecurity almost killed me, I almost gave up thinking that if he loves me, he should accept the real me, but it will just ruin our relationship and I might hate him if I will always think that way. He also told me that if I wont lose weight until February, he wouldn't like to marry a woman who has no plan to get healthy. But since he saw that I am trying and has plans, he then told me that he was just joking to me about giving me deadline for losing weight, he will still marry me no matter what but of course he doesnt want me to suffer in our marriage life in the future if I remain fat and will still be unattractive for him.

He loves me for who I am and my personality, that is the reason why he stayed and why he gave me a chance.

Some people that I've talked to about this, see him as a shallow minded person, a bad person who is trying to change me, but if he didn't do that, maybe until now I am living with his lies.

But honestly it has still a big impact to me. Hahaha. I am still insecure.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Hello Rayna, could you be kind enough to convert kg into stones for me please because I've never understood kg and it seems to becoming the norm now, thank you!
    56 kg = 8.81849 stone
    50.6 kg = 7.968136 stone
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    Michael, thank you for your responses to this thread, and I'm glad it's of some help to members. As the World Health Organization reminds us, worldwide obesity rates have nearly doubled since 1980, and neither the UK nor the Philippines have escaped this trend. It is indeed a sensitive and difficult issue for those who realise - or are told - they may have a weight problem.

I’m sure Rayna won’t mind me trying to help with your question ! The link which helps you to calculate BMI also allows conversion between “ metric “ ( kilograms / centimetres ) and “ imperial “ ( pounds / ounces / feet / inches )

( http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Health...alculator.aspx
    ) .

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post

Some people that I've talked to about this, see him as a shallow minded person, a bad person who is trying to change me, but if he didn't do that, maybe until now I am living with his lies.

You seem to be taking some major life-changing decisions...despite these negative experiences and insecurities.

At my age (55) it’s a never ending battle to keep weight off! I work long hours and spend too much time in the office but I don’t snack and I watch what I eat carefully. I know if I didn’t work, I’d be slimmer as I enjoy exercising but find I don’t do as much as I’d like due to lack of availability of time.

I do find that eating smaller portions and walking helps to keep the weight from increasing and throughout the winter months, I go out walking in the dark a few times a week. I have gym membership but find using a gym is boring, I'd much sooner be outside in the fresh air exercising, even if it is in the dark!

I do take advantage of the weekends and go out walking then too. I walked 8 miles yesterday and despite wearing thick hiking socks, I have a lovely big blister to prove it, so won’t be going as far today! I'm really looking forward to being outside more in the lighter evenings

Banned

He loves me for who I am and my personality, that is the reason why he stayed and why he gave me a chance.

That's very kind of him

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    At my age (55) it’s a never ending battle to keep weight off! I work long hours and spend too much time in the office but I don’t snack and I watch what I eat carefully. I know if I didn’t work, I’d be slimmer as I enjoy exercising but find I don’t do as much as I’d like due to lack of availability of time.

I do find that eating smaller portions and walking helps to keep the weight from increasing and throughout the winter months, I go out walking in the dark a few times a week. I have gym membership but find using a gym is boring, I'd much sooner be outside in the fresh air exercising, even if it is in the dark!

I do take advantage of the weekends and go out walking then too. I walked 8 miles yesterday and despite wearing thick hiking socks, I have a lovely big blister to prove it, so won’t be going as far today! I'm really looking forward to being outside more in the lighter evenings
    Im the same Rosie..No time. I work a 70 hour week...Add a weekly 10 hour commute,, The only time i have to exercise is a 3 hour window after Ive taken my boys back to their mother.

If I dont do the gym I go to seed...Eating correctly isnt a problem as Ive always done it. I know it will get easier for me later in the year.

It's so easy to go off the rails

You are right, it was very insulting. I am not sure if any one here has an idea how painful it was to be told to lose weight, worse happened to me when my fiance went here November. One night before my birthday party, we had some heart-to heart talk in Riverbanks Marikina, we were seated in the grass and there were people around us as well but that moment was really painful. That moment he told me that I was so big for his eyes to the point the he was currently unattracted to me-- My world crashed and really cried, it was the most painful moment in my life, I swear, he also cried for making me feel that way but we both cant help it. Until we reached the hotel and the coldness between us were still present, i was like staying in a hotel with a stranger, until the night, i cant stop crying and told him that I wanna go home and did not want to see him but as the time goes by, it calmed me down. He talked to me and said that the reason why he was just being honest because he loves me and wanted to be with me forever, he decided to tell it to me directly in persont whilst he was here and we were together than go back to England and just leave me. It was a wake up call for me, but you know it really affect my personality, The first 2 to 3 weeks of struggling in exercise and diet, I had a very low self-esteem, the high confidence that I had, were all vanished, insecurity almost killed me, I almost gave up thinking that if he loves me, he should accept the real me, but it will just ruin our relationship and I might hate him if I will always think that way. He also told me that if I wont lose weight until February, he wouldn't like to marry a woman who has no plan to get healthy. But since he saw that I am trying and has plans, he then told me that he was just joking to me about giving me deadline for losing weight, he will still marry me no matter what but of course he doesnt want me to suffer in our marriage life in the future if I remain fat and will still be unattractive for him.

I find your fiance’s lack of tact staggering, no wonder you have been suffering from low self esteem and haven’t felt good about yourself. Strong positive encouragement is far more benefical than threats and I hope that he has also learnt from his very cruel and blunt actions.

You can do it Jen, but do it for yourself. Just remain focussed, reduce your portions sizes, make sure you eat fruit and vegetables and exercise as much as you can!

The 2 things that are important to a woman is her hair and her figure even I know that and thats coming from a man lol so making remarks about either in a rude way is not thinking of her feelings .you are what you are and your partner should except you the way you are .

I find your fiance’s lack of tact staggering, no wonder you have been suffering from low self esteem and haven’t felt good about yourself. Strong positive encouragement is far more benefical than threats and I hope that he has also learnt from his very cruel and blunt actions.

You can do it Jen, but do it for yourself. Just remain focussed, reduce your portions sizes, make sure you eat fruit and vegetables and exercise as much as you can!
    perfectly spoken comment

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    56 kg = 8.81849 stone
    50.6 kg = 7.968136 stone
    Thank's so much Rayna!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Michael, thank you for your responses to this thread, and I'm glad it's of some help to members. As the World Health Organization reminds us, worldwide obesity rates have nearly doubled since 1980, and neither the UK nor the Philippines have escaped this trend. It is indeed a sensitive and difficult issue for those who realise - or are told - they may have a weight problem.

I’m sure Rayna won’t mind me trying to help with your question ! The link which helps you to calculate BMI also allows conversion between “ metric “ ( kilograms / centimetres ) and “ imperial “ ( pounds / ounces / feet / inches )

( http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Health...alculator.aspx
    ) .
    Thank you also Alan!

Walking does do the trick Rosie, no need to do eight miles just do less distance but be consistent, try a little each day if you can!

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar

You come over a really lovely person Jen and he is one hell of a lucky guy.

Remember like Rosie said, do this for yourself not for anybody else.

I hope you both have a happy future together.

Love & Peace...

Respected Member
    I gained 2 stone since I arrive here in England. Been classified as obese for my height according to BMI calculator. I can't wear fitted clothes without the help of the shapewear but my tummy still hanging. So frustrated and angry to myself why I let my body ballooned. So I need to do something for it,I started my weight lose journey January this year. I cutdown my food, eat healthy and exercise.
    So far I loose 18 pounds now. And loose a lot of inches in my tummy which keep me motivated and carry on to what I'm doing till I reach my target weight. But I won't ever ever let my body get bigger anymore.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cessxy View Post
    eat healthy and exercise..
    That's all what is required. It's as simple as that. Life style choice.

Congratulations on losing your excess weight.

Trusted Member
    I gained 2 stone since I arrive here in England. Been classified as obese for my height according to BMI calculator. I can't wear fitted clothes without the help of the shapewear but my tummy still hanging. So frustrated and angry to myself why I let my body ballooned. So I need to do something for it,I started my weight lose journey January this year. I cutdown my food, eat healthy and exercise.
    So far I loose 18 pounds now. And loose a lot of inches in my tummy which keep me motivated and carry on to what I'm doing till I reach my target weight. But I won't ever ever let my body get bigger anymore.
    Well done girl !

I know it is a problem for a lot of Filipinas who come here to live.

Change of climate, diet ?

I'm coming round to thinking it's maybe the change of diet, as that is also what seems to be changing over in the Phils , leading to more overweight people.

Wow, fantastic, Cessxy, keep going, you're doing a great job!!!

Banned
    You can spot a few of the ones who's been here for a while. ..They blow out

The emaciated look all but a distant memory

Trusted Member
    My ex never put any weight on...even after having our boy.

She did stick to her Filipino style diet though, and took lots of exercise.

Banned
    So did mine, all filipino foods..used to eat like a horse. The only time she broke that diet was at Christmas times over my mother's

'Food is the most abused anxiety drug. Exercise is the most underutilised antidepressant'

Trusted Member
    Thank you for further interesting responses Jen, Tiger, Rosie, Cessxy, Graham and gWaPito !

Our body shapes and weights are influenced by inherited factors interacting with the environment. If only the worldwide obesity epidemic just mattered for aesthetic reasons, body image and self-esteem … whether or not an overweight individual and their partners / loved ones were happy with their appearance ! But we all now know there are also serious health risks which may shorten lifespan.

I agree that “ positive encouragement, rather than threats “ tend to work better with health matters, whether on an individual level, or from public health experts .

We know that cancers vary markedly in frequency round the world – the frequency in migrant populations tends to move towards that of the recipient country. The environment is more important than heredity with most cancers.

Similarly there is " dietary acculturation " – migrant groups tend to adopt the food choices and eating habits of their host country. This is complicated by the " nutrition transition " ( changing eating habits in the home country ) , which ALREADY account for increased obesity rates in the Philippines, part of a global trend.

The English Chief Medical Officer may not have struck the right note with what some view as a threatening approach to the issue of overweight and obesity . But she did right in drawing our attention to the problems arising, which – if unchecked - are unaffordable in ANY community !

Very well done Cessxy, you set a good example to others who need to lose weight!

Banned
    Walking does do the trick Rosie, no need to do eight miles just do less distance but be consistent, try a little each day if you can!
    Whatever your chosen mode of exercise, if your heart rate is increased sufficently you will make gains

When i first arrived in England I was 6 stone

Now, I am a booming 8 stones during winter and 7 stones during summer

fat chance?? I don't mind as long as I am happy ... a little of what I fancy does me good
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

well done cess
    cess and i are team too..

i had love your shape now i can testify but dont tell me how i shape was
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Well done girl !

I know it is a problem for a lot of Filipinas who come here to live.

Change of climate, diet ?

I'm coming round to thinking it's maybe the change of diet, as that is also what seems to be changing over in the Phils , leading to more overweight people.
    prob?? think its not its hobby

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    When i first arrived in England I was 6 stone

Now, I am a booming 8 stones during winter and 7 stones during summer

fat chance?? I don't mind as long as I am happy ... a little of what I fancy does me good
    now your talking i have my competition

Banned
    When you're busy all the time food can sometimes be your only form of relaxation so, why not..A little of what you fancy won't hurt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information