Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Do good house designs grow on trees...or are they a rotten idea ?

Trusted Member
    Haha...I'm off to bed now, but it would be good to have some observations from you to start the thread off Fred.

... "shiver me timbers", mate ... someone has already raised that question.

Hopefully, more will "log" on too!!

This grew on a tree not far from our house last year. Total cost for materials was around 15,000php. Asked him if he had a contingency plan during a typhoon and he just smiled

[IMG][/IMG]

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    This grew on a tree not far from our house last year. Total cost for materials was around 15,000php. Asked him if he had a contingency plan during a typhoon and he just smiled

[IMG][/IMG]
    Interesting!

The US version ..... from a kit house company, which maintains that they're earthquake resistant.

Interesting site
    http://www.topsiderhomes.com/

.... and (according to the website) they've exported to, and...."can be found from Scotland to Japan and from Panama to Canada. We have experience designing, properly specifying and shipping to remote locations in Asia, India, the South Pacific, the Bahamas, and throughout the Caribbean, to name just a few destinations".
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Trusted Member
    I fancy a tree house, but it could be challenging trying to get up to bed after a few drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdjones View Post
    The US version ..... from a kit house company, which maintains that they're earthquake resistant
    They have been building kit houses in Tagaytay for a few years. They would set you back around 40m depending on the design
    They claim that the house should last at least 100 years, however the initial termite warranty is only for 2 years!

If you tried to import the kits by yourself i can foresee a lot of problems, starting with customs.
    Building a wooden house from scratch would be very expensive, as good wood is used to make high end furniture.

http://www.tagaytayhighlands.net/woodlands-point.html

Jake, thanks for the link.
    I'm assuming that this 40m peso will also include the leasehold/freehold of the land (or a share in it thru a company) ?
    I'm also assuming that the price includes the "favoured" location & being part of the "privileged few who expect nothing but the best".

But knowing who are the architects & structural designers is of great relevance .... so prompting more searching of the internet.

Re: customs ....... yes, this question does obviously jump out at you.
    I'm hoping that this US company has exported to the Philippines and can answer a few pertinent questions.
    I'll update as/when I get some answers

Why not get hold of the plans somehow and have the kit made here?
    Where we live we have a really good lumber yard with ALL the tools required.. Band saws,Top/bottom planes..Name it.
    You would save a fortune and get the same thing..
    Might be even better!
    My house is made of wood,bamboo,nipa etc.. 7 years old with no problems with termites..
    There are certain wood treatments that work here really well.. Perhaps we can go over them as the thread develops.
    Best wood where we live that is relatively termite proof is called Gemilina..(a bit like teak)
    It is listed on that site that Graham listed BTW.

Fred, thanks.

Obviously at the moment I'm just mulling over ideas.....
    Your news about the termites is very interesting though.... so obviously the right type of wood with the right treatment should work.
    Also, some of the designs that I've seen, with the house effectively built on steel & concrete stilts/plinth should also potentially reduce termite invasions. (Is yours on stilts ?).

I started my search looking at US and Aussie companies as I expected their kits to be of a reasonably high standard (due to Health & Safety etc etc)...... but if some of these have exported to Philly and got local building contractors to do the construction, then why not just buy the design & get the local contractor to source the building materials & do the construction ?

Also, some of the designs that I've seen, with the house effectively built on steel & concrete stilts/plinth should also potentially reduce termite invasions. (Is yours on stilts ?).
    Thats only half of the solution as termites here have an airborne division.. Bok BOK!! These little bast@rds are wood borers.. Ive seen holes in hardwood here 1/8th of an inch in diameter.
    They lay their eggs in the hole and the new born bore tunnels.. Hundreds and hundreds of tunnels.

I started my search looking at US and Aussie companies as I expected their kits to be of a reasonably high standard (due to Health & Safety etc etc)...... but if some of these have exported to Philly and got local building contractors to do the construction, then why not just buy the design & get the local contractor to source the building materials & do the construction ?
    Exactly.

Interesting BLOG with an interesting tropical type build and design..

http://inhabitat.com/beautiful-bambo...waii-prefab-5/

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    Now that!!!....I like.

Trusted Member
    Typhoon ?

Just wrap some rope around it, and pull tight.

...plus a few wires into the ground. Jobs a goodun.

Thread Information