Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question IELTS Test booked, but is workshop needed?

My wife is now booked for the exam, would it be good advise to go onto the pre work shop? Shes doing the general training, her English is pretty fluent, is it easy to pass? Are there any materials out there so shes got a idea before she does the exam?

Thanks for advice in advance

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    When I took my IELTS exam last 2011, I didn't go to a pre-test workshop. I just search online for some practice tests. Here's is one website..http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/...practice-tests. You can just search on Google about other free materials online. Anyway, go to this thread http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....17-Ielts.....? and on post #3, I've written there my exam details. Take note that this was on year 2011. But I don't think they've change the process for the tests. In my view, the test was easy. If your fiancee is comfortable enough in conversing in English, I think she will find it easy too. She just needs to practice more, especially with Listening and Speaking as those two are the important parts of the test that UKVI requires.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I'm about to take the Ielts exam too...soon! I just practice online, like Rayna suggested. I'm anxious about the listening test, but that's just me (am no spring chicken, lol). As long as I get the required (is it 4?) band, I'm happy. I think the key is to relax during the exam ( so I tell myself).
    Good luck to your wife
    Thanks for the tip Rayna

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    When I took my IELTS exam last 2011, I didn't go to a pre-test workshop. I just search online for some practice tests. Here's is one website..http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/...practice-tests. You can just search on Google about other free materials online. Anyway, go to this thread http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....17-Ielts.....? and on post #3, I've written there my exam details. Take note that this was on year 2011. But I don't think they've change the process for the tests. In my view, the test was easy. If your fiancee is comfortable enough in conversing in English, I think she will find it easy too. She just needs to practice more, especially with Listening and Speaking as those two are the important parts of the test that UKVI requires.
    I followed rayna's suggestions. It's quite easy so no problem! Just focus, listen attentively, and follow instructions.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    When I took mine, I enrolled meself on a review centre in Davao and I didnt regret it as I passed my test. I think it is about how confident and how good she is on self teaching, if she is confident enough to do it on her own then this few links might help her more but if shes in doubt and wants to make sure then let her have few class/workshops.

http://www.ieltsessentials.com/prepa....aspx#Practice
    https://www.ielts.org/test_takers_in...st_sample.aspx
    http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/...practice-tests

My wife has just registered to take the tests April 23 rd this month she has just asked me do they need be paid separate or together ?

My fiancee just did the IELTS Friday/Saturday. On Friday she was the only one in the group who hadn't done some sort of workshop. She doesn't think she did well with the speaking part. Nothing to do with her abilities though. She didn't like the lady testing her, she said she was very angry looking and acted like what she was doing was a chore! I told her it doesn't really matter her attitude, she has to follow guidelines and can't fail you because she is grumpy!
    The writing part she said she thinks she did well, but a few people in the class mucked up and didn't transfer the answers to the sheet (something like that) So they won't score for that. Apparently the examiner told them after the first part to transfer the answers, but also said she wouldn't tell them again for the next parts...

Just took Ielts exam last Friday and Saturday.
    Speaking test was done on a Friday afternoon, there was about 30 of us. it didn't really went that well because I was a nervous wreck; anyway, we will see.
    The main test (in Oxford) was a bit overwhelming and intimidating. There were more than 200 peeps taking the test and most of them were students. It was held in an assembly hall and then when it came to the listening test, the cd was played over the tannoy so that the sound came out as a bit muffled. So Ii thought wtf.. Then came the reading test which was confusingdotcom... Then the writing test which was a struggle. Aaah, not really looking good for me... God have mercy on an old chick.
    And I thought Life in the UK test was a breeze...

Don't worry about not doing well in either the Reading or the Writing Tests

UKVI are only wanting to check that the Speaking and Listening modules receive a passing grade..

Reading and Writing don't count towards Visa Application criteria

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Don't worry about not doing well in either the Reading or the Writing Tests

UKVI are only wanting to check that the Speaking and Listening modules receive a passing grade..

Reading and Writing don't count towards Visa Application criteria
    Thank goodness for that...

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest View Post
    Thank goodness for that...

Respected Member
    Hi,
    I took the IELTS last saturday reading, writing and speaking are not too bad but oh boy listening I struggled a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by moorebwb View Post
    My wife is now booked for the exam, would it be good advise to go onto the pre work shop? Shes doing the general training, her English is pretty fluent, is it easy to pass? Are there any materials out there so shes got a idea before she does the exam?

Thanks for advice in advance

workshop isn't really needed at all my advice is for u to book it through british council type in IELTS as when you book it there they will give u a free online reviewer for free..

But in some cases if you think your not that confident enough and that you really need a workshop why not feel free its really up to you to decide best of luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jane2009 View Post
    Hi,
    I took the IELTS last saturday reading, writing and speaking are not too bad but oh boy listening I struggled a lot..
    Was ur listening exam about accommodation, organising events, nomads? That was tricky talaga! Anyway, I hope we pass. Don't want anymore tests...

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest View Post
    Was ur listening exam about accommodation, organising events, nomads? That was tricky talaga! Anyway, I hope we pass. Don't want anymore tests...
    yes dear!

Thread Information