Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Just returned from Tacloban

Having returned to tacloban many time since my wifes death to ensure my son stays in contact with his family there i was rather concerned with what i would find after yolanda but i find i am at a loss for the strength and spirit of the people there having been fortunate enough to spend a fair bit of time there the city has become a second home to me and i found i felt proud of my friends neighbours and family there for the way they are all getting things sorted out. Would also recommend the hotel XYZ operating in difficult circumstances yet providing a really good service true it does not have the views over the sea but the rooms restaurant and staff where first class. on one of the trips my sister in law introduced me to a lovely young lady from Burauen and i have totally fallen for the place with the mountains as a backdrop watching philippine eagles soaring over the rice fields just stunning cant wait to go back again

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Nice one Dave, thank's for that!

Is the place starting to rise from the ashes again ? can,t imagine what it was like to go through that. I expect it will take a few years to get back to any where near normality again ,but as usual the philippino people will dust themselves down and rise again like they always do

With the money that was raised for the place you would think there would be a big improvement over there?.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    With the money that was raised for the place you would think there would be a big improvement over there?.
    After watching 'The One Show' program about Sport Relief funding to Tacloben, it seems that the houses being replaced are corrugated steel sheds Why? I'm sure the amounts of money contributed should be able to build something far better in order to withstand any future storms!

They should be able to build a brand new city with the money that was raised. Good housing for everyone.

Respected Member
    That is something i was wondering the people over there are salvaging what they can and buying whatever supplies of wood and steel they can get hold of so you wonder what all the cash donations are paying for i know many of the places destroyed where unofficial developments. one would think this could be the chance to create some social housing areas for those who were living in these areas and are effectively homeless not just because their home has gone but the land it was on was not theirs to build on anyway. will take years to sort out, that said i could see an improvement during my stay my first in laws place looks like new tho interior stuff will need replacing and my new wife's family who i guess you would call them tenant farmers their place was close to the rice field went from nipa hut to patch of bare ground in minutes is now back to being a nipa hut again tho i hope by now it has a solid floor. what seems to be happening is that people have picked them selves up brushed the dust off then rolled up their sleeves (assuming yolanda left them with a shirt ) and got on with rebuilding, power was still unreliable robinsons is open gaisano was still closed many smaller business' are opening again so it is improving daily there are areas with a lot of clearing up to do. so nice to see friends and neighbours meeting for the first time since the storm the genuine relief you see as people find another person they know has survived i saw this happen a number of times
    the thatched restaurant in san perdro bay next to leyte park has gone even the concrete piles it stood on went leyte park hotel had water marks on the walls of the upper conference room above the restaurant that 3rd floor and along way above the sea level the hotel is open again but the chalets looked unuseable at the moment but im sure they are working hard to put it back together

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    They should be able to build a brand new city with the money that was raised. Good housing for everyone.
    Andy.. I have heard that much of the money pledged has not arrived yet in CASH terms..
    Because of the local politics and corruption,perhaps that is a good thing.
    I have a friend that has been there recently and he says he can only see devastation...No aid as such.

Such a crying shame a email to the red cross might be worth a go to find out what is happening. I have just emailed the red cross. Waiting for a answer.

Thread Information