Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question Advice for specifics for applying for wife's settlement visa

Hiya...just a couple of questions regarding applying for my wife's visa.
    I've got together most of the paperwork already, but a few concerns:

She's from Masbate and looking to book return flights (to Manila) so I need to know how long she needs in Manila to complete TB checks (presume 1 day) handing in application/paperwork (presume 1 day) and, if needed, getting an English Cert to prove her English level.

1) My wife speaks excellent English, grew up speaking it and in school was taught in English. She will have her interview conducted in English, but does she need to prove her English in advance? If so, how? Where? And the cost and length of time to complete this?

2) TB checks, how long they take? How to book an appointment and what to bring - as in ID etc - and the cost?

3) There's a question on the VAF4A financial requirement form regarding my accommodation. I'm renting a private room inc kitchen which I don't share. They are asking for personal details of other people who live here in the house. Others live in their own private rooms. Do I need to get their private information from other tenants? I'm not comfortable asking for personal details. And is this not against the Data Protection Act?

Of course, I will give a tenancy agreement and letter from my landlord.

Could someone give me a sample of a landord's letter which is suitable for the British Embassy?

4) Is a letter from the bank (stating when I opened account etc) needed?

5) Do I, as a sponsor, need to draft up an introduction letter regarding how and where I met her etc?

Could someone help with things I need to include?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by moorebwb View Post

1) My wife speaks excellent English, grew up speaking it and in school was taught in English, she will have her interview conducted in English, but does she need to prove her English in advance? If so, how? Where? And the cost and length of time to complete this?...
    Hi Moorebwb,

Sorry you've had a bit of a wait for a reply.

I'll go through your questions individually as best I can.

I would urge you to review our forum thread All New Guide - How to apply for a Spouse/Partner Visa

Some of those links may not function as they should as UKVI has very recently revamped the way in which the webpages are accessed, but you'll get a 'flavour' of the actions needed.

The mandatory requirement is to show that she can meet the English Language requirement by:-

- passing a test with an approved provider and providing an original English language test certificate in speaking and listening from the UKVI Approved Listing here.
    The minimum passing grade is level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference and above.

To be exempt from taking an English Language test applicants should have obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK.
    Additionally the applicant to provide the needed evidence to show the qualification to be relied on, and confirmation from UK NARIC that the qualification was taught or researched in English.

UK Naric requires significant documentation and also charges a fee.
    Most folks find it simpler and cost effective to undertake the appropriate English Test.

Unless your wife is exempt she will need to select an English test/test centre etc and book a slot for undertaking the test.

May I suggest she takes a test and aims for passing grade at B1 as this will greatly help when time comes for applying for ILR further down her immigration journey.

Just for your added understanding, it's highly unlikely that your wife will be required to have any interview.
    The visa application must be made online and the 'hard copy' forms plus all supporting evidence will be presented to the VFS Application Centre who handle the administration on behalf of the Embassy.

Hope this will clarify your concerns on your Q1

2) TB checks, how long they take? How to book an appointment and what to bring - as in ID etc - and the cost?
    In connection with TB Screening please follow this UKVI guidance link called - Tuberculosis testing in the Philippines

All of your question will be clearly answered in that link

3) There's a question on the VAF4A financial requirement form regarding my accommodation. I'm renting a private room inc kitchen which I don't share. They are asking for personal details of other people who live here in the house. Others live in their own private rooms. Do I need to get their private information from other tenants? I'm not comfortable asking for personal details. And is this not against the Data Protection Act?

Of course, I will give a tenancy agreement, and letter from my landlord. Could someone give me a sample of a landlord's letter which is suitable for the British Embassy ?....

Don't get overly hung up on this.
    As a start just review carefully the tenancy agreement, what does it say about extra occupant(s)?
    If it says it's allowed, it will be OK for UKBA. If it's really vague or if it says something like "..to occupy personally and not assign, sub-let or share nor permit use or occupation by anyone else.."
    Then naturally you'll need a separate letter from the landlord (council) that your wife can live there.

Does the tenancy agreement indicate anything about the living space/rooms etc?

Please do take some time to review your tenancy agreement and satisfy yourself that it says just what the UKVI ECO is looking for.

In principle the ECO needs to be satisfied that:-

- The accommodation is availability and adequate
    - That where applicable the permission of the owner of the accommodation has been given
    - That no additional public funds will be necessary for accommodating the applicant in cases where the sponsor lives in accommodation from public funds.
    - It is (or will be) owned or legally occupied for the exclusive use of the couple
    - It is capable of accommodating the couple, and any children, without overcrowding as defined in the Housing Act 1985
    - There is no breach of any tenancy agreement as regards sub-letting

In my opinion, when living in house or a self contained flat (whether owned or rented), it's not necessary to go to the trouble of securing an independent Property Inspection Report. Especially if the tenancy agreement clearly shows the accommodation is 'adequate'
    Provided you have a large enough bedroom for your exclusive use you should be fine

However, having said that, I strongly believe in minimising risks and personally when involved with a house share, lodging or rented room I would seriously condider having an independent Property Inspection Report done. The cost should be £100-£150
    I'm not suggesting it's mandatory (it's not) I'm just suggesting that renting a room in a shared house needs a bit more attention to detail.
    UKVI rules state that there must be adequate accommodation. I've not known an independent report to be questioned by an ECO.

Concerning the question about personal details of other occupants this is not required in your case as those people do not form part of your single 'houshold.
    Your household/property is limited to the room(s) you have sole tenancy for.

.....Could someone give me a sample of a landlord's letter which is suitable for the British Embassy?...

The landlords letter needs only to be a set of brief statements:-
    - confirm tenancy and occupation
    - brief description of the accommodation (room sizes, exclusive use etc)
    - a copy of the tenancy agreement
    - confirm agreement that your wife has full permission to live there with you in the same room(s) and under the existing tenancy.

4) Is a letter from the bank (stating when i opened account etc) needed?
    Not sure what was in you mind to prompt this question.....?
    But generally there is no specific UKVI requirement for this information.

5) Do I, as a sponsor, need to draft up an introduction letter regarding how and where I met her etc? Could someone help with things I need to include? ....
    There's no UKVI mandatory requirement for this......however, most sponsors DO include a good letter to the Embassy supporting the application.
    Just as you mentioned, how and where you met, how long you have been together, how many visits made to each other and how you've kept a contact to each other.
    Include the you have to live in the UK (specifically, why).

Keep it concise and be honest about everything.
    Use this letter as an opportunity to explain any complicated or unusual circumstances about the application.

Just be careful not to disclose anything that might induce the ECO to dig a deeper investigation.

There's not really any specifically helpful templates, as such letters are highly personalised and individual.

Look here for a starting point

Please also make a forum search to see how other members presented their own versions of supporting letters.

Banned
    Just be careful not to disclose anything that might induce the ECO to dig a deeper investigation.
    Care to expand on this Terpe?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Care to expand on this Terpe?
    Sorry if I alarmed anyone......not intended.

I'm sure you know what I mean in general......just avoid giving too much information not needed by UKVI
    It's easy to get carried away and then let something slip that might cause the ECO or caseworker to dig or ask for documentation you'll find difficult to supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Not sure what was in you mind to prompt this question.....?
    But generally there is no specific UKVI requirement for this information.
    Firstly thank u so much for all the efforts in your replies, this was on page 2 of the financial requirement application information, but presume its not to important. I appreciate all the help.

Just a bit concerned for finding of a school to get the English language test done a lot quicker, I looked at 1 school, http://cie.edu/home/ and the exam is May 17th and 6 weeks after you get the cert, which is a considerable time when I've gone about doing mostly everything else, apart from booking appointment and paying fee and TB. Are there any schools which can be done within the next month and get results for evidence a lot quicker, doesn't matter where in Phils as she's in Masbate. Ideally Manila though, so she can complete the TB check at the same time.

Thanks Again, Dave

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Dave, I can recommend IELTS..here's their Philippine website.. http://www.philippines.idp.com/ielts.aspx Test dates are stated there. Test results are released 13 days after the exam. But speaking test is done on a separate day from the other tests (listening, reading, writing).
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

.....this was on page 2 of the financial requirement application information, but presume its not to important. I appreciate all the help.
    I tried to find that but couldn't......which question is it ?
    Just curious to understand the context

I tried to find that but couldn't......which question is it ?
    Just curious to understand the context
    Page 2, information about your finances and employment...below that bank letter or balance cert

The visa application must be made online and the 'hard copy' forms plus all supporting evidence will be presented to the VFS Application Centre who handle the administration on behalf of the Embassy

Terpe are you saying here that a handwritten copy of the application forms also need to be handed in ?

Quote Originally Posted by mick foreman View Post
    Terpe are you saying here that a handwritten copy of the application forms also need to be handed in ?
    No, I'm saying that the completed online form needs to be printed signed and handed to VFS application centre.
    The Financial Requirements form must be completed by hand though, then submitted to VFS together with all other supporting docs

In principle the ECO needs to be satisfied that:-

- The accommodation is availability and adequate
    - That where applicable the permission of the owner of the accommodation has been given
    - That no additional public funds will be necessary for accommodating the applicant in cases where the sponsor lives in accommodation from public funds.
    - It is (or will be) owned or legally occupied for the exclusive use of the couple
    - It is capable of accommodating the couple, and any children, without overcrowding as defined in the Housing Act 1985
    Hi Terpe..does all accommodation need to be exclusive for the applicants and sponsor? My parents have a 3 bedroom house and are willing to accommodate us for very low rent, for as long as we need. They will be living there also. Is that ok? Also what documents should we submit to support this.
    Many Thanks

Thread Information