Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

English Language requirements

hello guys! my question is this. i'm applying for my ILR soon and i don't know if i can also use my KET key english test certificate as 1 of the requirements. My score in READING,WRITING and LISTENING is EXCEPTIONAL but my SPEAKING is in between BORDERLINE and WEAK. Do I really need to take another english test?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I believe for KET, your grade for both Listening and Speaking must be Exceptional for it to be equivalent to B1. (based on this link

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...lish-tests.pdf)

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to retake you test, at least for the speaking alone if it's permitted.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I believe for KET, your grade for both Listening and Speaking must be Exceptional for it to be equivalent to B1. (based on this link

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...lish-tests.pdf)

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to retake you test, at least for the speaking alone if it's permitted.
    Yep, confirmed Rayna.

Sadly, eahjay, you'll need to re-take an English Test and secure that B1 level pass

thanks rayna and terpe for the info. coz i'm a bit confused when i asked one of my friend who arrived in uk first before me and also took KET exam and he told me that we don't need to take another test. he also got a2 level score and he's not planning to take another test because he saw it in the website that we can use our test result when applying for our ilr. i looked and checked the site to confirm what he told me and i can't see anything that explains we don't need to take another test. now i'm okay i need to focus now for another english test haaaaay! never ending test. is there anybody who knows if i can take speaking test only???? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eahjay View Post
    thanks rayna and terpe for the info. coz i'm a bit confused when i asked one of my friend who arrived in uk first before me and also took KET exam and he told me that we don't need to take another test. he also got a2 level score and he's not planning to take another test because he saw it in the website that we can use our test result when applying for our ilr. i looked and checked the site to confirm what he told me and i can't see anything that explains we don't need to take another test. now i'm okay i need to focus now for another english test haaaaay! never ending test. is there anybody who knows if i can take speaking test only???? thanks
    Have your friend take a look at UKVI webpage called Prove your knowledge of English for citizenship and settling

Here's an extract:-

You might need to prove your knowledge of the English language if you’re over 18 and applying for citizenship or to settle in the UK (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) unless you’re exempt.

You can prove it by having either:
    - an English qualification at B1 level
    - a degree taught or researched in English
    Only those folks who already hold B1 level pass will be exempted from retaking the test

Don't forget your Life in UK Test also

Regarding exactly which modules any provider/test centre is prepared to offer is something only they themselves can say....
    Personally I'd feel more secure having both modules at the same time. Usually it's a package price.

Best of luck eahjay

Respected Member
    Hi guys, as planned, my fiancee and I got married in February. We are currently trying to sort out the visa requirements. Fortunately, she has been able to stay at her uncle and aunt's place in Manila so, so far she has the NSO version of our marriage certificate, her CFO and her passport so here is the question:

I know she will need to take an English test. Are there any other tests she will have to pass before putting the visa application in? And does anyone have the contact details of the Test Center in Pasig? I think this is the nearest one to her

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave65 View Post
    Hi guys, as planned, my fiancee and I got married in February. We are currently trying to sort out the visa requirements. Fortunately, she has been able to stay at her uncle and aunt's place in Manila so, so far she has the NSO version of our marriage certificate, her CFO and her passport so here is the question:

I know she will need to take an English test. Are there any other tests she will have to pass before putting the visa application in? And does anyone have the contact details of the Test Center in Pasig? I think this is the nearest one to her
    She also needs to get a TB test..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-philippines
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Hi guys as planned my fiance and got married in february we are currently trying to sort out the visa requirements fortunately she has been able to stay at her uncle and aunts place in manila so, so far she has the NSO version of our marriage certificate, her CFO and her passport so here is the question i know she will need to take an english test are there any other tests she will have to pass before putting the visa application in and does anyone have the contact details of the test center in Pasig i think this is the nearest one to her
    She will still need to get her CFO 'sticker' once she has her visa and the visa 'start' date has been reached. Best not to leave this too late.

Respected Member
    Thanks guys. The CFO sticker - is that in addition to the CFO certificate she got two weeks ago? I guess the TB test is just a case of going to a doctor's clinic, so that's easy enough. I have heard of another test to check general knowledge of the UK. Anyone know if that is done at visa application stage or when you apply for ILR?

Thanks guys. The CFO sticker - is that in addition to the CFO certificate she got two weeks ago ...?
    Yes it is.

It appears that your wife has already received her certificate of attendance for the Guidance and Counseling program of the CFO.

Once she receives her spouse visa and it becomes valid, she'll need to register with the CFO to receive her CFO Sticker which will be put into her passport.

.... i guess the TB test is just a case of going to a doctors clinic so thats easy enough....
    Please take a look at the link posted by Rayna in post#7.
    Your wife must attend the clinic approved and specified by The Home Office (UKVI)
    UKVI will not accept a TB screening test certificate from any clinic not approved by them.
    Details of the address and how to book an appointment are included in the link.
    The Screening test certificate is required to be submitted along with the visa application.

.... I have heard of an other test to check general knowledge of England. Anyone know if that is done at visa application stage or when you apply for ILR?
    I believe you're thinking of the Life in UK test.....if so, then you're right, she doesn't need that for her spouse entry ... only for her ILR application when she's here in UK

Good luck in getting the applications docs together

Congratulations on your recent marriage

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    These are the contact numbers for IOM in Makati where she will undergo Tuberculosis screening,

+63917-593-4688
    +63917-993-4667

Booking of appoinment is quite easy, they will just ask the personal details of the applicant and also her passport number, tell her to bring her passport when she gets there. They only accept cash payments, (PHP 3,200)

I got my certificate ten to twenty minutes after the xray. (that's for the normal results)

Respected Member
    Great news today guys, my wife Sharny heard that she passed her English Test today. She has passed the TB test, got her passport with CFO cert and the NSO record of our marriage. I suggested to her that having the visa application paper checked before submission would be a good idea. I noticed that when submitting the application, there is the option to pay in person. Or, for a saving of £400, I can pay by post.

Anyone got an idea how to do this please?

Great news today guys, my wife Sharny heard that she passed her English test today. She has passed the TB test, got her passport with CFO cert and the NSO record of our marriage. I suggested to her that having the visa application paper checked before submission would be a good idea. I noticed that when submitting the application, there is the option to pay in person. Or, for a saving of £400, I can pay by post.

Dave ... congratulations to Sharny - and yourself.

However, regarding the > "£400 saving" < you've mentioned ... I'm not sure what you mean.

Great news today guys, my wife Sharny heard that she passed her English Test today. She has passed the TB test, got her passport with CFO cert and the NSO record of our marriage. I suggested to her that having the visa application paper checked before submission would be a good idea. I noticed that when submitting the application, there is the option to pay in person. Or, for a saving of £400, I can pay by post.

Your wife will need to submit her application online together with online payment of the visa fee.
    She'll then need to make an appointment at VFS Application Centre to submit all the supporting documents together with the Visa Application Financial Requirements Appendix

May I kindly suggest you makes some searches both here and on the UKVI website in connection with the detailed requirements for Visa Application.

Respected Member
    Thanks Terpe. I have been trying the UKVI site - kept going back to the same page to state which visa was required. No matter how many times I filled in the correct bits when I selected the button for the next step, it went back to the previous step

Anyway, will see what we can do to get it submitted. Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks Terpe. I have been trying the UKVI site - kept going back to the same page to state which visa was required. No matter how many times I filled in the correct bits when I selected the button for the next step, it went back to the previous step

Anyway, will see what we can do to get it submitted. Thanks for your assistance.
    The Main Page for your online application is here at Welcome to Visa4UK

If you've already registered for an account then just log-in. Otherwise hit the 'Register an Account' button.

When you complete the registration details you'll see a message that says "Your registration details were created successfully. You have been sent an email with instructions on how to complete the registration process."

The confirmation e-mail is sent automatically very quickly and will state:-

Dear Somebody

Your Visa4UK account has now been created. For security reasons, your account is currently locked.

Please click on following link or copy and paste the link below into your internet browser to unlock your account.
    Take a look and search around etc maybe it will help

Thread Information