Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Trusted Member
    It would seem more likely.

Could it have come down in the middle of the Himalayas...not to be noticed or found for months ?

Remember the one in the Andes, where they cannibalised the bodies ?

Respected Member
    Even with my limited aviation knowledge (Private Pilot) I find the whole situation so unusual. Particularly strange is how the 'secondary radar' information became unavailable, but primary radar shows it performing a U-turn. Essentially this means switching off the transponder devices (ADS-B/Transponder) so that the only returns were echos from the ground based radar. The governments seem to know about this U-turn after it disappeared from the civilian radars, because they were searching the Malacca Straits before this information was released.
    I know that radar and communications is pretty scratchy in Asia, far from the blanket coverage in the UK and Europe.

Nothing adds up, all seems very bizarre. A modern 777 doesn't just disappear...

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Very interesting comments from all members who have posted on this thread, I suppose the outcome will be a rather long time coming, we will just have to wait longer!

Malaysia Airlines MH370: Last communication revealed

The last communication received from a Malaysia Airlines plane suggests everything was normal on board minutes before it went missing over the South China Sea, Malaysian authorities say.

Flight MH370 replied "All right, roger that" to a radio message from Malaysian air control, authorities said.

The search has been widened to waters off both sides of the peninsula.

Meanwhile Chinese authorities have published images of what they suggest may be three pieces of wreckage.

The website of China's State Administration of Science carries three satellite images taken on Sunday - a day after the plane went missing.

The images, which appear to show fragments in the sea, were only published on Wednesday. Co-ordinates alongside them would place the objects in the South China Sea between Malaysia and Vietnam.

The China-bound plane went missing on Saturday with 239 people on board.

It vanished about an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, as it flew south of Vietnam's Ca Mau peninsula. No distress signal or message was sent.

'Confusing' information

Malaysian authorities revealed the plane's last communication at a news conference held in Beijing for relatives of the 154 Chinese who are among the missing passengers.

As the plane reached the boundary between Malaysian and Vietnamese airspace, the Malaysian air control announced it was handing over to Ho Chi Minh City Control.

Minutes later, all contact with Flight MH370 was lost.

China's foreign ministry said there was "too much confusion" regarding the information released about the plane's flight path.

"It is very hard for us to decide whether a given piece of information is accurate," spokesman Qin Gang told reporters in Beijing.

Earlier on Wednesday, Malaysia's air force chief Rodzali Daud denied remarks attributed to him in local media that flight was tracked by military radar to the Malacca Strait, far west of its planned route.

Gen Rodzali Daud said he "did not make any such statements", but the air force had "not ruled out the possibility of an air turn-back".

Sighting?

Early search efforts focused on waters between Malaysia and Vietnam.

The search was later extended to the Malacca Strait and the Andaman Sea, off Malaysia's west coast, amid reports that the plane could have turned back.

Operations are now covering some 27,000 square nautical miles (92,000 sq km).

Malaysian authorities on Wednesday requested assistance from India in searching the Andaman Sea, north of the Malacca Strait.

Vietnam has confirmed an investigation into a possible sighting of the plane has so far yielded no results.

Vietnam's air traffic management earlier said it had received an email from a New Zealander working in one of the oil rigs off Vung Tau.

"He said he spotted a burning [object] at that location, some 300 km (200 miles) southeast of Vung Tau," deputy general director Doan Huu Gia said.

Officials still do not know what went wrong with the aircraft, and several leads pursued so far have proven not to be linked to the plane.

After more than four days of fruitless searching, there is an element of desperation creeping into this operation, the BBC's Jonathan Head in Kuala Lumpur reports.

'Shock at allegations'

Some 42 ships and 39 aircraft from several countries are taking part in the search for the plane.

Two-thirds of the passengers on board the plane were Chinese. Some were from a range of other Asian countries, North America or Europe.

Meanwhile, Malaysia Airlines said in a statement that it was "shocked" by reports made against its First Officer, Fariq Ab Hamid, who was the co-pilot of the missing flight.

A South African tourist told Australia's Channel Nine that she and her friend were invited to sit in the cockpit with Fariq Ab Hamid and the pilot during a flight in 2011, in an apparent breach of airline rules.

Malaysia Airlines said it took the reports "very seriously".

In the US, CIA Director John Brennan said the possibility of a terror link could not be ruled out. But he said "no claims of responsibility" over the missing jet had "been confirmed or corroborated".

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26541057

Trusted Member
    Thanks Peter.

..And so it goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Thanks Peter.

..And so it goes on.
    I'd hate to appear to be macabre...but I just find it so absorbing.....and mysterious

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I'd hate to appear to be macabre...but I just find it so absorbing.....and mysterious
    Me too Peter so enthraling...

http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Very sad interview..

Malaysia plane may have flown for four more hours: US

U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.
    Aviation investigators and national security officials believe the plane flew for a total of five hours based on data automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing Co. 777's engines as part of a routine maintenance and monitoring program.

That raises a host of new questions and possibilities about what happened aboard the widebody jet carrying 239 people, which vanished from civilian air-traffic control radar over the weekend, about one hour into a flight to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.
    Six days after the mysterious disappearance prompted a massive international air and water search that so far hasn't produced any results, the investigation appears to be broadening in scope.
    U.S. counterterrorism officials are pursuing the possibility that a pilot or someone else on board the plane may have diverted it toward an undisclosed location after intentionally turning off the jetliner's transponders to avoid radar detection, according to one person tracking the probe.

http://www.afr.com/p/world/malaysia_plane_may_have_flown_for_3gjH5DH58X9IA9xFsyV4OO

Respected Member
    The whole incident is becoming more and more bizarre by the day...

For those who want to help you can help search the satellite pics here http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

However, due to the number of people using the site it is prone to either not load, or crash. They are currently upgrading the servers.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    For those who want to help you can help search the satellite pics here http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

However, due to the number of people using the site it is prone to either not load, or crash. They are currently upgrading the servers.
    Yes but search where?? Boeing say the plane flew 5 more hours after the transponders were turned off!!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Yes but search where?? Boeing say the plane flew 5 more hours after the transponders were turned off!!
    This is now being denied in a press conference this morning. I agree it's totally bizarre that everybody seems clueless as to what happened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26559627

Banned
    Perhaps this could lead to big price reductions. May just tempt me to go holiday in the Philippines instead of Cuba this coming May

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Perhaps this could lead to big price reductions. May just tempt me to go holiday in the Philippines instead of Cuba this coming May
    A tad off topic but there's some fundraising going on for the Cuba Solidarity Campaign here

http://www.rmt.org.uk/campaigns/poli...-garden-party/

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    My thoughts as well although the only price that appears to be going down at the moment is their share price

The MH flight out of Heathrow on Monday night was delayed and was almost withdrawn. All passengers were on board and the flight was ready to go, but one of the engineers noticed fuel leaking from the wing! It was fixed in the end, but you can imagine how scared you'd be if you were on board and saw them doing last second maintenance on the wing!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    The MH flight out of Heathrow on Monday night was delayed and was almost withdrawn. All passengers were on board and the flight was ready to go, but one of the engineers noticed fuel leaking from the wing! It was fixed in the end, but you can imagine how scared you'd be if you were on board and saw them doing last second maintenance on the wing!

My mate is a BA Engineer working on 3rd party aircraft at T3 I remember him telling me years ago their 747s came in a few times with little more than vapour remaining in the fuel tanks I'm not sure if they still have the contract for Malaysian

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    We landed once in Karachi and as the plane hit the brakes I could see a lot of liquid pissing out of the wing.. When the plane was parked up the liquid was producing quite a puddle..
    The engineers ....ed around with the wing for about an hour and then we taxi`d off to the runway..
    As the engines roared and we were off again I could see the liquid pissing out of the wing again!!
    I looked at the flight attendant and for a split second I saw panic on her face.. Then she smiled and asked me if I wanted a drink..
    I said "yes please"..."A large Vodka..and keep em coming"!!

We landed once in Karachi and as the plane hit the brakes I could see a lot of liquid pissing out of the wing.. When the plane was parked up the liquid was producing quite a puddle..
    The engineers ....ed around with the wing for about an hour and then we taxi`d off to the runway..
    As the engines roared and we were off again I could see the liquid pissing out of the wing again!!
    I looked at the flight attendant and for a split second I saw panic on her face.. Then she smiled and asked me if I wanted a drink..
    I said "yes please"..."A large Vodka..and keep em coming"!!
    Liquid coming from airliner wingtips is the norm when discharging fuel, spillage from wings at take off is normal during hot weather as the fuel expands and released out of overflow same as a car, nothing to worry about as I've filmed many taking off at Manchester and fuel is overflowing down the runway!

Banned
    Same in the trucks I drive Michael. All perfectly normal

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Liquid coming from airliner wingtips is the norm when discharging fuel, spillage from wings at take off is normal during hot weather as the fuel expands and released out of overflow same as a car, nothing to worry about as I've filmed many taking off at Manchester and fuel is overflowing down the runway!
    I didnt know that Michael ..Thanks..
    Fortunately I managed to keep all that Vodka in me without any leakage.. and slept like a baby!
    I hate flying..Can you tell?

Glad to see the Malaysians are now taking this seriously. They've sent for the witch doctor

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...-track-missing

Didn't mention this nearer the beginning of the thread for fear of being thought ... well ... ... naive. But it seems almost incredible, airport departure staff failed to detect fake passport holders in the light of the plethora of (supposedly foolproof) scanning devices in use nowadays!!!

I didnt know that Michael ..Thanks..
    Fortunately I managed to keep all that Vodka in me without any leakage.. and slept like a baby!
    I hate flying..Can you tell?
    You're the opposite to me Fred, I don't drink and I love flying, but I like you!

Fuel leaking on some aircraft is normal. It's to do with pressure. When at altitude all seals are tight due to the pressure but as this reduces tiny openings in some seals allow fuel to escape. But most fuel cells have a bladder inside these days or puncture proof linings a bit like race cars.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    This is now being denied in a press conference this morning. I agree it's totally bizarre that everybody seems clueless as to what happened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26559627

I tend to believe the US experts.. No way IMO they would say that the plane continued to fly for 4/5 hours if in fact they had no hard data to back it up at some point and make it known publicly .
    Looks as if the search has now turned towards the Indian ocean...Land and sea!

Satellite Data Reveal Route of Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane

Malaysia Airlines 3786.KU +2.13% ' missing jet transmitted its location repeatedly to satellites over the course of five hours after it disappeared from radar, people briefed on the matter said, as searchers zeroed in on new target areas hundreds of miles west of the plane's original course.
    The satellites also received speed and altitude information about the plane from its intermittent "pings," the people said. The final ping was sent from over water, at what one of these people called a normal cruising altitude. They added that it was unclear why the pings stopped. One of the people, an industry official, said it was possible that the system sending them had been disabled by someone on board.

WSJ's Andy Pasztor has been reporting on Flight MH370 since it disappeared. Here he explains how a plane can still transmit "pings" that allow investigators to track it even after its main tracking systems — or transponders — are shut off.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...396580350.html

The people, who included a military official, the industry official and others, declined to say what specific path the transmissions revealed. But the U.S. planned to move surveillance planes into an area of the Indian Ocean 1,000 miles or more west of the Malay peninsula where the plane took off,

That's a very interesting article fred ......
    Fascinating stuff

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information