Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Snob Filipinos in UK

Is it just me? Or has anyone else (Filipinas) experienced being ignored or worse, avoided by fellow Filipino when you see them on the streets, malls, shops, etc.?

My Dad used to work in Israel for 10 years and he said that the Filipinos there have a solid community and help each other out. They even go to outings and festivals. So far in my 4 years (nearly 5) here in England, I have not met a "friendly" Filipino/Filipina stranger yet. All the ones I see in the streets would either avert their eyes or pretend they did not see you. Worse was when me and my husband went to a Filipino restaurant, everyone there looked us up in an uncomfortable way. We just happen to belong to different races but we are normal people too!

Other awkward moments includes when they keep trying to speak in English while talking to me when I can clearly tell they are Filipinos because of the accent. Sometimes I would speak Filipino (Tagalog) first to break the ice but they would still carry on speaking English that's why I gave up by now. I don't smile or try to establish any connections anymore. I know not everyone is a snob but so far the ones I happen to bump into are.

Quote Originally Posted by chiechie View Post
    Is it just me? Or has anyone else (Filipinas) experienced being ignored or worse, avoided by fellow Filipino when you see them on the streets, malls, shops, etc.?

My Dad used to work in Israel for 10 years and he said that the Filipinos there have a solid community and help each other out. They even go to outings and festivals. So far in my 4 years (nearly 5) here in England, I have not met a "friendly" Filipino/Filipina stranger yet. All the ones I see in the streets would either avert their eyes or pretend they did not see you. Worse was when me and my husband went to a Filipino restaurant, everyone there looked us up in an uncomfortable way. We just happen to belong to different races but we are normal people too!

Other awkward moments includes when they keep trying to speak in English while talking to me when I can clearly tell they are Filipinos because of the accent. Sometimes I would speak Filipino (Tagalog) first to break the ice but they would still carry on speaking English that's why I gave up by now. I don't smile or try to establish any connections anymore. I know not everyone is a snob but so far the ones I happen to bump into are.
    yea i agree somehow...sadly it is true...but if you meet me I would make sure we can be friends...I had experience those loads of time... ignore it..and i just go on I'm here in the UK same as you but i only know 4 filipina..seen so much fellow filifina/filipino.. but as you say....crap... oh well not our loss....
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

It is sad, isn't it Moy? You would think that they would be excited to be with fellow kababayans! That is sweet of you I am friendly enough as well, only now I wait for the other person to make the first move. Too many embarrassing moments wherein I looked like I was a smiling psycho!

It is sad, isn't it Moy? You would think that they would be excited to be with fellow kababayans! That is sweet of you I am friendly enough as well, only now I wait for the other person to make the first move. Too many embarrassing moments wherein I looked like I was a smiling psycho!
    Where u at?? here in UK MAYBE WE COULD MEET ..I'll be very friendly

Banned
    I'm sa Swindon Moy. Ikaw labaw pa kay sa welcome dinhi

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    I'm sa Swindon Moy. Ikaw labaw pa kay sa welcome dinhi
    unya moanhe ka dri gang..kay mag inom ta hehehe

Banned
    Sa labing gamay nga wala makig-estorya balik sa Iningles

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Sa labing gamay nga wala makig-estorya balik sa Iningles
    ay tekalon man sa imo gwapo ged..budlay na cge ka tikal

I live in Staines

Trusted Member
    I think you'll find that it's the ex bargirls who are the snobbiest.

With me and the ex, I'm convinced that they were just overwhelmed by the handsomeness of her hubby.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

With me and the ex, I'm convinced that they were just overwhelmed by the handsomeness of her hubby.

You sure it wasn't the modesty

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    You sure it wasn't the modesty
    No...don't think it was that.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Whenever I see Filipinas, if they do look at me, I smile to them. But if they move their eyes away from me when they see me looking at them, then I don't bother. It's like they've forgotten how to smile when they got here.. But there are times that I don't really see them unless Keith pointed it out to me that I've got "relatives" around the place.
    I'm not really a good observant.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I experienced that also in Singapore filipina ignoring and looking in me from head to toe they are not friendly

Banned

It's always in them..never goes

Staines ? That probably explains it ya amongst da essex girls they are all plastic lmao oh shat up

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    staines ? that proberly explains it ya amongst da essex girls they are all plastic lmao oh shat up
    Not unless they've moved it Tiger Staines is in Surrey, just down the road from Heathrow

Not unless they've moved it Tiger Staines is in Surrey, just down the road from Heathrow
    haha they,re all the same

i also thought that too, when walking with my Ems and seeing the people who Ems talks to.

But how wrong was i, it was me who was standing back a little, plus their husbands partners too, once the ladies do get together you cant get a word in edgeways, and i love it, seeing me Ems talking with her new and old friends makes me feel so good

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mercedes View Post
    I experienced that also in Singapore filipina ignoring and looking in me from head to toe they are not friendly
    Must have been jealousy Mercedes.

I always thought that Staines was in Middlesex

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Trusted Member
    Likewise.

Respected Member
    This sadly happens with all nationalities, especially when they are overseas and nobody knows their background. Sometimes people want to forget their past and reinvent themselves as someone new and snobbery can be a part of that sadly.

Trusted Member
    This is true Ricky...and I guess we also like to feel 'special' in a foreign land.

Particularly annoying when you're in the middle of the Sarawak jungle, loaded with a 50kg backpack, wiping the sweat from your brow and thinking you're Bear Grylls, when suddenly you happen upon a party of OAPs from Scunthorpe on a day out from the nearest cruise ship.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie c View Post
    I always thought that Staines was in Middlesex

Here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staines-upon-Thames

Respected Member
    This is true Ricky...and I guess we also like to feel 'special' in a foreign land.

Particularly annoying when you're in the middle of the Sarawak jungle, loaded with a 50kg backpack, wiping the sweat from your brow and thinking you're Bear Grylls, when suddenly you happen upon a party of OAPs from Scunthorpe on a day out from the nearest cruise ship.
    haha yes.

I find that about many westerners here in Phil's too.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Respected Member
    You also get a few Walter Mittys Steve. When I was in Cebu I was told that I must must meet someone who was an ex Cruise Ship Captain, but somehow whenever we ended up in the same place he left or avoided me. Eventually I met him and got talking and realised that perhaps he'd once been a passenger on a Dover-Calais ferry, but that was the limit...

Just goes to show.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Whenever I see Filipinas, if they do look at me, I smile to them. But if they move their eyes away from me when they see me looking at them, then I don't bother. It's like they've forgotten how to smile when they got here..
    Mrs D says the same - it's the "snobs" who avert their gaze and don't return the smile. Very rude

Banned
    I live in Staines
    You live in a snob town Chiechie

After 100's of years as plain old Staines 2 years ago the local council laughably changed its name to Staines-upon-Thames to try to compete with the Henleys, Richmonds etc. Doesn't change my opinion though - don't take this the wrong way but I can't stand the place

The Surrey town made famous by spoof rapper Ali G has officially changed its name in a bid to improve its image.

Staines yesterday marked its official rebirth as the more upmarket Staines-upon-Thames in a day of celebration that included boat races, maypole dancing and music performances.

The commuter town's rebranding hopes to attract more business and tourists to the area, highlighting its location on the banks of the River Thames and historical links.

Councillor Colin Davis said the town had 'a reputational difficulty - nationally and internationally', when the move was voted in by the local council last year.

The proposal is said to have come from its 'economic development theme group', which 'believed current negative perceptions of Staines were limiting investment and economic growth'.

Cllr Davis told the BBC yesterday: 'Ali G may have had a role, but I think it goes back further than that.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...#ixzz2utuV5VCS

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information